Is Euron too good to be true?

blacken

One thing we may be overlooking with Euron is that his character may be one of the keys to understanding the Others or something going on way North.    If Euron is or was a greenseer, he has immense power and can do all the cool tricks.  If that greenseeing ability has been twisted to serve a force decidedly bent on destruction and apocalypse Euron should be as strong as Bran.   If that ability was always there but the 3rd eye was opened with Shade of the Evening, what ever malevolence lives in Euron's own psyche is free to roam.  He may be as strong as Bloodraven for all we know.   I think we have some damned fine prophetic vision in The Forsaken.   Aeron hates Euron so there is that prejudice at play, but the imagery is fantastic.   Without the magic or hallucinations or prophesy, Euron's torture of Aeron and occasional confessions make for a really interesting character.   I think Euron almost has to be magical to be a worse bad than Ramsay and Joffrey before him.   He needs to be the end all beat all villain.   

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2017 at 2:11 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Euron seem way over the top for sure but I think he is going to be involved in diminishing the military might of the Reach in the near future. House Tyrell, Oldtown and Highgarden are in in deep shit.

The Tyrells, Hightowers and Redwynes are all far too powerful and have heirs and spares. I feel like Euron is probably going to knock them down a few notches.

With the Redwyne fleet approaching and Euron around about the Arbor I wonder if he has plans in mind for poor Desmera Redwyne that might force Lord Paxter to submit.

He is a giant assemblage of cliches. I thought as GRRM's ambition seems to incorporate every type of genre fiction (e.g. the latest 'assassin' fashion) so couldn't omit pirates. However I did enjoy the insanely horrible, sort of rollicking TWOW chapter with poor Aeron on the ship, these Iron Islanders are getting more interesting as battle looms.

I think Euron may have been planned from the start not just thrown in the mix later as he and his ship draw on the god Loki in the Norse mythology of Ragnorak which seems to be a major underpinning to the Long Night and War with the Others that is coming. The launch of Loki's ship is really the beginning of Ragnorak. 

On 7/27/2017 at 9:41 AM, Cas Stark said:

Euron is too trope laden a villain....psychopathic killer, check; eye patch pirate, check; child molester, check; has magic objects, check; has magical abilities, check; bigger badder sadism than ever seen before, check; has  Bond villain level ambition for world domination, check.

While I did like the last damphair chapter, Euron is just too cartoonish for my taste.  In a series that has mostly been about realistic people with realistic motivations for their actions, Euron The Bad Seed, who was always very, very bad.....seems like it doesn't fit.  So far there is no characterization there beyond your stock horror villian.  So, not too impressed so far.

Euron works for me as a warning of how dark the effects of messing with the magical sude of GRRearth can be, and as an evil accidental creation of Bloodraven's.  He's not just born evil, he's what happens when great potential and great magical power are combined and it goes badly.  Euron's psychosis fits perfectly for an abandoned greenseer who was exposed to the magical side of George's world before having that ripped away from him; leaving him stuck on the Iron Islands with the Ironborn.  

Granted I'm in the camp that's waiting to find out just how dark BR is ready to get with Bran; so I expect someone that was too wild for BR to control to be extremely fucked up by the power they are playing with.

18 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

The Tyrells, Hightowers and Redwynes are all far too powerful and have heirs and spares. I feel like Euron is probably going to knock them down a few notches.

With the Redwyne fleet approaching and Euron around about the Arbor I wonder if he has plans in mind for poor Desmera Redwyne that might force Lord Paxter to submit.

The Tyrell and reach military might have not suffered much so I guess Euron is there to bleed them. Whether he gets a dragon or not remains to be seen.

Archived