Are the White Walkers & the army of the dead really that strong?

Dr.Banner96

So as we enter season 7 we are gearing up for the 'real war'. I can't help but think that the dead are much weaker in reality than people (both show watchers and people in westeros) perceive them to be.

First of all there are only 3 white walkers left (assumption as per s06e05), also white walkers being killed by Meera & Samwell reduce the fear factor (to me at least) and one would assume that the army of the dead become irrelevant if the Walkers are taken out.

The dead are a bunch of re-animated dead bodies who seemingly do not possess the fighting skill of the person when he/she was alive and even if it does we also must remember that a large chunk of their force consists of women & children (from Hardhome).

In Lord of the Rings, the orcs even though not skilled warriors had war trolls, large wooden logs to break down doors, those things to attack the walls of Minas Tirith or even the machines for throwing rocks. Yes the white walkers have magic but so far the dead have only fought a large bunch of stranded & cornered wildlings. Even if they break down the wall & make it south towards Winterfell I don't assume Jon & co. will meet them in the field. Winterfell is one of the most heavily guarded & impenetrable castles of Westeros. Also the soldiers will be wearing armors, be well prepared & will hold a high ground in the fort against the marching White Walkers.

It will only be a matter of time before Daenerys sets her eyes towards the North & the dragons will enter the fray from where things can only south for the White Walkers & the army of the dead.

The show has teased some mythical ancient spiders & maybe ice dragons but I still think that the people of Westeros start as favorites in the battles to come.

There was no indication in the show that dragons fire can kill the white walkers, it's just an assumption and if it is true, that make the stories of Jon, Sam and Bran utterly pointless.

Yes, they are strong (remember Hardhome's massacre?), they are immortals and can only be killed with valerian swords and dragon glass and actually there are only 2 valerians swords

There is way more than two Valyrian steel swords. Obviously weve heard theres roughly at least over 100 in the book, some lesser houses have them, but prize them more than their own daughters as we saw Tywin couldn't buy them.

In show, besides Heartsbane, Longclaw, Oathkeeper and whatever Jaime renamed Widows Wail, you also have the dagger from King Bob's armory that Littlefinger has that was involved in all the season one Tyrion framing plot, we see Arya with it in promo material.

There's plenty more they can wheel out if need be.

Fire was definitely innefective against the Walkers, but not Wights, but most likely it's enough to hurt the white walkers if dragonglass and dragonsteel kills them..a dragon should haha.

And there's more than three left. Remember when the Night King turned Crasters baby? There was 13 there in total, and we've only seen puddles killed by Sam, Meeras kill and the spearman killed by Jon, I really doubt 3 kills lowered their numbers greatly if they've been spawning more using humans for this long.

33 minutes ago, AegonBurzumOfTheLightsBane said:

if dragonglass and dragonsteel kills them..a dragon should haha.

Can give me a scene from the show stating that dragons can kill white walkers?

and if it is true then D&D just lost 7 years in writing the journey of Jon, Bran and Sam and the plot of the white walkers will end like a farce

6 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Can give me a scene from the show stating that dragons can kill white walkers?

and if it is true then D&D just lost 7 years in writing the journey of Jon, Bran and Sam and the plot of the white walkers will end like a farce

I suspect that the white walkers will have something to match the dragons with. Or something to counter them.

In truth it depends on how they play it. The dead may fight horribly but if they play it true to how it was in season one and the books (and some of hardhome) They are very hard to kill. in the show at hard home they weren't consistent but most of the time it seemed that they were very hard to kill in terms of doing damage. We saw that regular arrows seem to be worthless and jon shoved his sword through ones stomach and had to hold it back while tormund and other blocked the hole it was coming through. Basically you have something that can't fight as well as a human but can be stabbed through the chest and shot in the head with an arrow and not notice. And with three giants it is gonna be hard. Also remember that wildling army was a hundred thousand under mance and even if half of them were not burned after they died or went south of the wall that still leaves and army of fifty thousand that will be fine fighting in freezing weather. Also I think we have only seen a very very small amount of white walkers. And I think they will realize that they are not unkillable like they thought. They are likely to realzie this. Remember the look on the face of the one jon snow killed when it's sword thing hit against longclaw and didn't shatter.

Firstly i think in Season 4 when they take the baby. There is a struture that looks like a white walker city or fortress.

Secondly in S07E01 i counted as well as the Night King at least 5 white walkers on horse back. 1 to his right, 2 behind him and then 2 on the left side of the Wights. So there is def more than 3 white walkers. 

Lets say White Walkers 13, 1 died in Hardholm, Sam Killed two, and one died in the cave. So that is atleast 9.  If there were 13 at the shrine including the Nights King Himself.

Im beginning to think the possibility is the babies of Craster may serve as hosts rather than create new White Walkers?

9 hours ago, UFT said:

by the time of the final battle, night king will have ice giants, ice spiders and an ice dragon. more than worthy of a final enemy

We don't know about the ice spiders yet. And I don't know about the ice dragon since I avoided the leaks as best I could. However people forget that the white walkers have agic which could effect the dragons. And while dragons are perfectly fine in the hot temperatures I think the battle with the white walkers will take place in the north and since it's winter the dragons may have a hard time because of that. Also as I said earlier if they stay consistent then the dead are harder to kill. Yes they may be slower and not fight as well but if they can take an arrow to the face and be okay I gotta wander how much damage they can really take.

Archived