[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

teemo

4 hours ago, Slingingstones said:

Some were wondering why Dragonstone seemed deserted when Dany and crew arrived, but, when compared to the Iron Islands, Dragonstone is a wee speck of rock.  Logistically, Iron Islanders' economy consists of piracy, for It is known that they do not sow.  It follows then, that when Stanis went north, he took kit and kabootle.  With no great lord to provide and nothing left to eat, the domestic help gravitated back to the mainland. 

Then who came back for sweeping on a regular basis until Dany arrived?

On a re-watch of episode 1, Season 7, when Cersei and Jaimie were observing the Greyjoy fleet, Cersei referred to our favorite pirate as King Euron.

This is not consistent with Cersei's behaviour. One of her titles is Queen of the 7K and protector of the realm. Why is she acknowledging another King in her realm? The Lannisters went to war with Stannis and Robb because they both declared themselves king. This is a problem that I had with the books as well. The Lannisters went to war with House Stark, Tully, and Baratheon over a crown; yet they do nothing when House Greyjoy renounce the Iron Throne.

Cersei should have commanded Euron to bend the knee or face the Mountain. I'm calling it right now......Euron will be the cause of Cersei's death. The Greyjoys are all traitors and cutthroats.

Dany is making the same mistake by trusting Yara (Asha). When Aegon, the first of his name, landed on Westeros, He sent out ravens declaring that there would only be one king.

On 7/18/2017 at 6:23 PM, Holly Macaroni said:

I have some rants and grievances, but I already went through the effort of putting them into an animated format, so I figured I might as well just put'em here, instead of laying them out in text.

Ha just watched it, good stuff, I hope you make lots more, I have no doubt you will be spoiled for material;)

So Cersei sends the letter to Jon to come to KL and bend the knee but there's nothing in the letter about Sandra, who she thinks killed Joffrey (she calls her a "murdering whore").

Littlefinger framed Sandra for the murder and the show is really clear about that when it happens, Littlefinger outright threatens her to go along with him or Cersei is going to kill her.

Sandra never once complains about this to anyone. Or that Littlefinger sold her to the Boltons, after telling Jon about it. And she knows Littlefinger was planning to take Winterfell with the Vale troops anyway.

She says to Littlefinger, you are either my enemy or an idiot, well, at best he's an idiot, so why keep him around? His troops, she says, then honors him for saving them (while calling her father stupid).

So let's see, Littlefinger "saved" her by doing what he was always going to do anyway after nearly getting her killed. And I thought she wanted credit for bringing the Vale troops to the rescue (after hiding them from Jon and risking his life).

But since Littlefinger is an idiot at best, and they are her cousin's troops, and Sweetrobin sent them to rescue her from the Boltons because "she's my cousin" (Littlefinger had to ask him to do so) - tell him Littlefinger sold her to the Boltons.

If Jon is such a "good king" and she is such a player (ha ha ha) then quite simply use a few words to eliminate Littlefinger's command of the Vale troops so they can bypass him (and relieve him of his head).

They could also tell Cersei that Littlefinger murdered Joffrey. In season 5, Cersei and Littlefinger arranged that he would take Winterfell with the Vale troops and in return he promised to give her Sandra's head for murdering Joffrey.

So here's this from season 4:

LF: You don't want the queen to hear, do you? The gold cloaks are searching for you. And if they found you, how do you think they would punish the girl who murdered the king?

Sansa: I didn't murder anyone.

LF: I know. I know. But you must admit it looks suspicious. The king who executed your father, who tormented you for years, and you fled the scene of his murder...

Sansa: Did you kill Joffrey?

LF: Did I kill Joffrey? I've been in the Vale for weeks.

Sansa: I know it was you.

LF: And who helped me with this conspiracy?

Sansa: Well, there was Ser Dontos. You used him to get me out of King's Landing, but you would never trust him to kill the king.

LF: He wasn't involved in Joffrey's death. But you were. Do you remember that lovely necklace Dontos gave you? I don't suppose you noticed that a stone was missing after the feast.

Sansa: I don't believe you. If they catch you, they'll put your head on a spike just like my father's.

Apologizes for the length but I'm fairly new and I didn't read through all of these so I'm sure it's redundant

Professor Slughorn is now in Game of Thrones.  I love that actor, he was also in Tolstoy's War and Peace.  Ironically enough, Tom Riddle asks him in HP about reading something (horcruxes) in the restricted section too.  I’m sure other’s got this parallel.  I also enjoyed his character as he is someone sympathetic to Sam and seems like a really smart person to provide us trustworthy info about history and the citadel in itself.  Sam will most likely spend this whole season gathering information, making some cool contributions.  Sam is going to be the Hermione, and Jon will probably be the Harry.  Did anyone notice that before the Dragonstone page, on the page before, there was a picture of the dagger used to try to assassinate Bran in season 1?  Could this be foreshadowing, or just because it was Valyrian?  Who knows, but maybe LF will end up using it to try to assassinate Jon.  Maybe in the same room as Bran.  I suggested that at the end of last season, in my first post to this forum. That would be ironic, considering he “lost” the dagger to Tyrion in season 1.  Or maybe he'll use the dagger again to frame someone (even though it was Joffrey's if I recall) in Jon's murder.

I still don’t understand how Pycelle got outsmarted by virtually everyone in KL if he could beat almost everyone in the citadel to be the maester of the capitol.  I guess that really does show you that book smarts do not always translate to political or social smarts.  Jorah in the Citadel provided some surprise relief. I always thought it would be Mel who would save him, not a maester.

The Hound probably stole the show in this episode.  His voice of reason juxtaposed with religious zeal.  Could he be Azor Ahai?  Probably not, but he seems more likely than some of the theories out there like Jaime.  Jaime has one hand.  If he dies and comes back, he still has no hand!  His sword hand.  Mel can’t grow hands back the way Voldemort could.  Beric didn’t get his eye back.  

Looks like the giants will be the way the army of the dead gets passed the wall, not the reversal of magic.  I like that, a pragmatic brute force method, as Mance almost pulled off.  Imagine if they have a wooly mammoth wight!

Euron was hilarious and animated but yes his costume was stupid.  I didn’t know he was a groupie of the Clash, JK Rowling’s favorite band.  If they fix his apparel he's a good newer villain. The gift he was talking about is probably Tyrion’s head, as he was Jorah's gift to Dany in season 5.

Yes Sansa looked underwhelming.  Her eyes were baggy in the first scene and she wasn’t wearing much makeup, and her hair looked bad. But her acting was fine and that’s more important.  She usually looks better with her hair up btw, I know because I’m in love with her.  I am Borat and she is my Pamela.  

Ed. Sh. did not ruin anything.  He was such a micro detail and of course social media makes it a focal point.  I didn't even know who that was, and I try not to read too many articles as I think that detracts from the future surprise.

Seeing how Aegon designed the Throne Room off of Dragonstone was tight.  

Where is Bronn? He used to be my favorite.

On 7/19/2017 at 1:09 AM, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Ok well why isn't Cercies hair longer yet? I really hate her short hair. Hasn't she had enough time for it to be a little bit longer since she made her walk of shame? It has been more than one season! Shouldn't it be below her ears? Or is she keeping it short to remind everyone what was done to her? It is ugly and Cercie's good looks were a big part of her character's mojo. She doesn't look good with short hair.

so there is my rant. Feel better?

Wow, you've summed up my feelings for the past two seasons.  Her good looks WERE a big part of her mojo.  When I did my full series re-watch just before this season began, I remembered how GOOD she looked in the earlier seasons.  She was bitchy-hot!  Her new hair do is just absolutely awful.  It makes her seem like a completely different character actually.  Nothing like the Cercei that I remember.

Sandor finding the frozen bodies in the cottage made my blood boil. They took the effing time to show what happened to some minor non-esetial characters ( of whom I completly forgot about) but were so apprehensive about reminding us of Tysha and advancing Tyrions character  in season 4 because " Oh you know no one would remember".

Which makes me conclude Dumb &Dumber cut her out because they believed their rubbish version of Tyrion escaping and killing Tywim  was better  and that having Tysha's story explained would erk the way they think Tyrion should be portrayed .So game of thrones is just Dweeb&Dimwit's personal low intelligence fanfiction .

I wonder what other garbage they come up with.

Where to even begin?

Sansa: by far my least favorite character in the show at this point.  Everything she says is either a contradiction or completely nonsensical.  Does she not take the threat to the north seriously?  Is that why she wants to focus on petty things like punishing the Karstarks and Umbers?  She could not be handling the Littlefinger situation any worse.  He is motivated by his ambition above all else and has no qualms killing anyone who stand as an impediment to his advancement, probably best to not keep stonewalling his advances.  How long does she think he will put up with her crap?  The fact that the showrunners think they are portraying her character as a "real player" at this point is laughable. (sidenote: it seems really strange to me how the writers use the words "kill" and "murder".  Sansa's comment about Cercei and Euron's comment about his niece and nephew last season just sound completely inorganic when using "murder" instead of "kill"  Maybe that's just me.)

Sam: worst training montage ever and was twice as long as needed.  That's the kind of stuff I would expect a high school kid to throw into a presentation to meet some minimum time criteria.  Also learning information he already knew and acting like its a revelation.  He is the one who discovered that dragonglass could kill the walkers, Stannis told him they had a ton of it on Dragonstone, and he just didn't think anything of it?

The Hound: easily the best part of the episode, very much enjoying his character arch.

Timelines: How are we the audience supposed to understand the chronology of the different stories?  It seems like in some stories we are seeing the passage of weeks and in others the passage of years.  Did the Iron fleet sail in and out of King's Landing and past Dragonstone before Dany got there?  If not wouldn't they now be trapped?  If so, wouldn't Cercei have them prevent Dany's forces from landing and smash them at sea?  Have D&D even looked at the Map of Westoros?

Raven email: how is it that seemingly everyone knows everything instantly these days in Westeros.  Not only is it implausible it makes for dull viewing.  It's enjoyable as a viewer to know things the characters do not but now that element seems completely absent.  How could Cerei possibly know about Tyrion being Hand to Dany and wouldn't it be cooler to see her discover this information for herself the first time the two groups meet?

Zombie Mountain: knew outfit is killer, almost made Euron piss himself, and dialogue was on point and in character.  Another solid showing.

23 hours ago, legba11 said:

I forgot to add... By what right is Jon occupying the keeps of the Nightwatch with Wildlings?  He isn't Lord Commander.

Easy. He's on great terms with the current Lord Commander, is respected and possibly revered by them (he came back from the dead) and the Nightwatch acknowledge that they are grossly undermanned to defend the wall.

55 minutes ago, KarlVyt said:

Sandor finding the frozen bodies in the cottage made my blood boil. They took the effing time to show what happened to some minor non-esetial characters ( of whom I completly forgot about) but were so apprehensive about reminding us of Tysha and advancing Tyrions character  in season 4 because " Oh you know no one would remember".

Which makes me conclude Dumb &Dumber cut her out because they believed their rubbish version of Tyrion escaping and killing Tywim  was better  and that having Tysha's story explained would erk the way they think Tyrion should be portrayed .So game of thrones is just Dweeb&Dimwit's personal low intelligence fanfiction .

I wonder what other garbage they come up with.

I just wanted to co sign on these terrific points on Tyrion vs Show St Tyrion, as well as the D's bs excuses about what the audience can and cannot be counted upon to remember.  Plus, while I loved Rory's take on The Hound (and even the inconsistent characterization that the D;s give him), I'm still pissed off that they even had Sandor rob that man seasons ago.  He did no such thing in the books anyway.  Still, Rory is terrific, in spite of the D's lowbrow fan fic.

3 hours ago, Mista C said:

Wow, you've summed up my feelings for the past two seasons.  Her good looks WERE a big part of her mojo.  When I did my full series re-watch just before this season began, I remembered how GOOD she looked in the earlier seasons.  She was bitchy-hot!  Her new hair do is just absolutely awful.  It makes her seem like a completely different character actually.  Nothing like the Cercei that I remember.

She looks like a Romulan or Vulcan now.  Plus with the short hair, her annoying head lean is very pronounced.

1 hour ago, Lurid Jester said:

Easy. He's on great terms with the current Lord Commander, is respected and possibly revered by them (he came back from the dead) and the Nightwatch acknowledge that they are grossly undermanned to defend the wall.

And they killed him for planning to have the Wildlings man the castles.  At best, he would should suggest Edd (who was somehow magically appointed by him) use the plan.  Jon doing that was doing exactly what he hated that Stannis was doing.

13 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Plus, while I loved Rory's take on The Hound (and even the inconsistent characterization that the D;s give him), I'm still pissed off that they even had Sandor rob that man seasons ago.  He did no such thing in the books anyway.  Still, Rory is terrific, in spite of the D's lowbrow fan fic.

Yep, the show did the opposite of the books. (I put more on the next post, the part they are "adapting" is when he stays in the village, and things go very differently.)

2 hours ago, Bear42 said:

Timelines: How are we the audience supposed to understand the chronology of the different stories?  It seems like in some stories we are seeing the passage of weeks and in others the passage of years.  Did the Iron fleet sail in and out of King's Landing and past Dragonstone before Dany got there?  If not wouldn't they now be trapped?  If so, wouldn't Cercei have them prevent Dany's forces from landing and smash them at sea?  Have D&D even looked at the Map of Westoros?

Not only that, but you have Arya strolling through a pleasant autumn day in the woods, somewhere south of The Twins, but also in the Riverlands you've got the BwB and Sandor, and it's a full blown snowstorm.

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I'm still pissed off that they even had Sandor rob that man seasons ago.  He did no such thing in the books anyway. 

Sandor does rob people in the books, it was nothing like the show's version but he does. The ferrymen at Harroway town and this -

A farmer chance-met on the kingsroad had provided them with wayn, horses, garb, and casks, though not willingly. The Hound had taken them at swordpoint. When the farmer cursed him for a robber, he said, "No, a forager. Be grateful you get to keep your smallclothes. Now take those boots off. Or I'll take your legs off. Your choice." The farmer was as big as Clegane, but all the same he chose to give up his boots and keep his legs.

I don't recall if Jon has informed his lords about Valyrian steel killing the WW? I thought he would mention it when he brought up dragonglass?

Archived