[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

teemo

37 minutes ago, Elaena Targaryen said:

Sandor does rob people in the books, it was nothing like the show's version but he does. The ferrymen at Harroway town and this -

A farmer chance-met on the kingsroad had provided them with wayn, horses, garb, and casks, though not willingly. The Hound had taken them at swordpoint. When the farmer cursed him for a robber, he said, "No, a forager. Be grateful you get to keep your smallclothes. Now take those boots off. Or I'll take your legs off. Your choice." The farmer was as big as Clegane, but all the same he chose to give up his boots and keep his legs.

I don't recall if Jon has informed his lords about Valyrian steel killing the WW? I thought he would mention it when he brought up dragonglass?

You are giving examples from before the RW.   With the ferryman, he did give him the BwoB IOU, and I'd say he was damn serious about giving the guy payment out of it.  Yeah, he went a bit far w the guy on the road, but as I said......that was before the RW.  I think that, and time and time w Arya.........all figured into some of his changes.  I didn't say he was perfect on the road trip.  But, by the time in book and show verse that my original point addressed, things are certainly different. 

On 7/20/2017 at 5:10 PM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

You are giving examples from before the RW.   With the ferryman, he did give him the BwoB IOU, and I'd say he was damn serious about giving the guy payment out of it.  Yeah, he went a bit far w the guy on the road, but as I said......that was before the RW.  I think that, and time and time w Arya.........all figured into some of his changes.  I didn't say he was perfect on the road trip.  But, by the time in book and show verse that my original point addressed, things are certainly different. 

Just to add:

There was that time when Sandor was asked to leave that village, after working for the villagers. After being asked to leave, he just packed up his stuff and left.

4 hours ago, legba11 said:

And they killed him for planning to have the Wildlings man the castles.  At best, he would should suggest Edd (who was somehow magically appointed by him) use the plan.  Jon doing that was doing exactly what he hated that Stannis was doing.

They?  You mean the ones he hung?

Yeah, I don't think they pull much weight anymore, just the end of those ropes. 

Sure he's getting away with a lot but coming back from the dead gives you a lot of clout. 

Stannis wanted to use the Nights Watch and wildlings to fight his southern war.  Jon wants to use them to reinforce the wall and defend Westeros whether they accept him as king, and are his allies or not. 

They got the Sandor at the village scene backwards, of course. He worked hard and wanted to stay, but they recognized him, so he left peacefully. It's tragic, he couldn't escape the past, and he lost hope after that.

Here's that:

Sandor’s mouth tightened. “So you do know who I am.”

“Aye. We don’t get travelers here, that’s so, but we go to market, and to fairs. We know about King Joffrey's dog."

I know most of this, if not all, has probably been said already (and I am only up to page 8 in reading this), but since I've managed to get around to watching it and made notes as I did so, I thought I may as well post them here:

Why did Arya have the wife’s wine poured?

How did no one notice it happening?

What happened to Edmure?

How did she manage to take the form of his whole body?

How did Arya know that Cat’s throat was slit or Talisa was pregnant?

Is the Giant meant to be Wun Wun?

How did Meera drag Bran all the way to the Wall without incident?

How does Bran knowing that the AotD were sen by Edd make him a Stark?

Why does everone know he’s called the Night King?

Why are they sending the women to fight?
Why does no one realise that knitting is important?

Why does a little girl give orders still?

Why is Littlefinger still there?
What on earth is Davos doing?

Why is Sansa presented as unreasonable when Jon is just as stupid?

How was that undermining Jon?

Why does the conversion make no sense?

Why is Sansa calling Ned & Robb stupid?

Why does Cersei not demand Sansa’s head?

Why does Cersei still have an army?

Why are they trying so hard to keep Cersei relevant?

Why is Cheryl standing on the paint whilst it’s still wet?

What the fuck is she wearing? I know she had it at the end of last season, but it is shudderingly awful

Why were they waiting for a painted floor map their whole lives?

Why is Jaime still in love with Cersei?

How does Cersei know Tyrion was made Dany’s Hand of Queen

Why has their been no riots?

Why is there still a Lannister army?

How does she know about the Unsullied?

Why is she not dead?

Does Cheryl not understand what a dynasty is?

How did they find out the Freys are dead so fast?

Why are the sails identical?

How the fuck did Euron create ships out of thin air in a few weeks without any wood, and how did they not run into Dany’s feet?

What kind of anachronistic clothing is Euron wearing?

What ludicrously stupid thing us the Mountain wearing?

Why is Jaime stealing Jorah’s deeds when he has plenty of his own?

Is Euron meant to be scary, he looks pathetic?

Why would she invite Euron thre only to tell him to fuck off? And how did she magically know that Euron will want to find a guft to win her over?

Having been warned about stupid Sam scene I fastforwarded the whole stupid montage.

Harry Potter references? It’s so obviously Harry asking Slughorn about Horcruxes! Lazy writing.

Why is there a restricted section and why do they put the Dragonstone Dragonglass stuff in there?

Why would they keep stuff they don’t believe in in a restricted section?

So because the world has never ended, it won’t ever?

Why is Brienne always mean to Podrick?

What is with the stupid sexist stuff with Tormund/Brienne?

How does Littlefinger know that Brienne beat the Hound?

Good point Brienne why is LF still here?

They don’t need LF to have the Vale Knights. Tell the Vale about what LF did Sansa. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Stupid out of place song, its about Tyrion and Shae. Random soldier shouldn’t know it?

Why are none of them rapey?

Ed Sheeran. I’ve seen him act in “The Bastard Executioner”. He was actually better in that.

Why are Lannister soldiers even there?

Does humanising Lannister invalidate all the stupid Arya plots from last 2 years?

What do you mean old enough to drink? There is no drinking age. A baby is old enough to drink alcohol!

Why is the part of the Riverlands Arya is in snow free, but the part where Hound & Beric are is in a light blizzard?

I won’t comment on how it happened to be the right place due to the Inn at the Crossroads in the book, but it is pushing it.

Those skeletons have clearly been there for years. Look at the rotting.

Hound, Beric scene is okay.

Anti-religion?

How’d Hound get so good at seeing in fire?

And is there no budget to show what he sees?

Cleganebowl?

Why does the Hound nee to say what he’s doing? We can see him burying the dead?

Why did Sam forget about Stannis telling him about the Dragonglass?

Why is there a map to find Dragonglass in the book? Why would it need to be secret?

Why does Jorah want to touch everyone? Is he trying to infect them all?

Why does Dany look so smug?

Ridiculous outfit again.

The music didn’t make me feel anything.

Why is Drogon no longer bigger than Rhaegal & Viserion?

Why is Dragonstone comepletely empty?

Has nobody heard of scouts? Did they just know it would be empty due to plot?

Dragonstone looks lovely? Did they alter the lighting now that Satannis is no longer there?

Why is there now a throne in Dragonstone?

I thought they’d already begun?

Hope it's not too repetitive.

Really random nitpick but the "everything before the word but is horseshit" advice Jon remembers doesn't come across something Ned would say. Can't quite put my finger on it, too brusque maybe. Not just because it is a show invention, I much preferred Benjen's formulation of the same thing in season 1.

4 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Really random nitpick but the "everything before the word but is horseshit" advice Jon remembers doesn't come across something Ned would say. Can't quite put my finger on it, too brusque maybe. Not just because it is a show invention, I much preferred Benjen's formulation of the same thing in season 1.

That is not something George would write, nor anything a guy like Ned would say. It is just bad dialogue. Can you think of any character in the books who would say stuff like that?

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

That is not something George would write, nor anything a guy like Ned would say. It is just bad dialogue. Can you think of any character in the books who would say stuff like that?

Was going to say that of course nobody in the books would say that but neither would show Ned, then it clicked. Having had the fortune of dying in season one, when even the additional dialogue was passable, this is the first time (that I can remember) that Ned's words have been infected by the current standard of writing. Whereas the rest of the characters have had their dialogue go downhill over time, this quote is in sharp contrast to the rest of his lines.

Just now, Horse of Kent said:

Was going to say that of course nobody in the books would say that but neither would show Ned, then it clicked. Having had the fortune of dying in season one, when even the additional dialogue was passable, this is the first time (that I can remember) that Ned's words have been infected by the current standard of writing. Whereas the rest of the characters have had their dialogue go downhill over time, this quote is in sharp contrast to the rest of his lines.

What happened to the days when Ran still complained that Ned used modern/bad phrases like 'fighting somebody for real' (from the pilot, talk with Jaime in the hall)? This is really just sad.

Only have time to write my Rant now, because I was busy over the last few days. 

This wasn't as bad as many other episodes in Seasons 5&6, but it wasn't really good either. I found the episode pretty boring and did a lot of other stuff while watching it. Watched Preston Jacob's review directly after the episode and found it much more entertaining than the actual episode. Like others have said this episode didn't have super much to rant, but a lot to nitpick.

Arya: Didn't like the scene of her killing the Freys. Were we supposed to see this scene as something positive along the lines of "Fuck yeah revenge" or as something worrysome?  And the logicstics of that scene give me headaches. So facechanging also allows Arya to adjust her bodyseize to Walder Frey's and speak with his voice? The scene witht the soldiers was okay. Not an oustandingly good scene, but not really bad either. Yeah.. it was only there so that Maisie could meet Ed Sheeran, but the scene was okay. 

Bran: Nice that we see him in a season opening again. Meera didn't wear gloves. I guess she has magical hands that don't need to be warmed. Yeah it was weird that Edd let them through. This scene was pretty short I would have found it better if the scene had been a bit longer or if they had made another follow-up scene with a conversation between Ed and Bran. They could have cut something else for that. 

Winterfell: My least favourite part of the episode. I never thought I would hate scenes with the Starks back at Winterfell, but I do. Liam Cunningham really earned his paysheck in this episode. I found neither Sansa or Jon likeable or even competent. I guess D&D deceided to re(?)-read Jon's ADWD chapters. Letting the Wildlings guard the Wall, arming women... which brings me to Lyanna and her awful dialogue. A lot has been written about it already, but I said beforehand that I would rant about it, if it happens. 

I'm not so much opposed to women fighting, there are examples of that in history, but yeah even when some women fight you actually need people who knit and knitting is a  useful skill. You need people to produce clothes. It's Winter and you need things like socks and gloves, unless you have magical hands like Meera. If I remember correctly from my history classes insufficent clothing was acutally a problem that both the Napoleonic army and the German army in WWI and WWII encounted when trying to invade Russia. Moreover, the women of Bear Island should already know how to fight. Didn't Lyanna mention last seasons that her mother was a fighter and that she will be one as well? 

Brienne is a really bad fighting teacher. She doesn't even tell Pod what he does wrong and gives him no advice on how to improve his skills. I hate the Brienne and Tormund stuff. 

How does LF know about Briennes fight witht the Hound?

And again I don't like the entire Sansa Jon dinamic and the entire conflict between them feels forced. 

King's Landing: They didn't put a lion above the city in the opening credits and I was surprised by that. Would have liked to see a confrontation between Jaime and Cersei, but I've given up on Jaime's character after season 4. Euron wasn't good and he should have just taken Dragonstone. 

Citadel: Urgh.. was this shitting montage really 2 minutes long? I guess Sam is becoming a masterthief now. First, heartsbane then the books. 

The Hound and the Brotherhood without Banners: These were the best scenes of the episode for me. The only complaint I have is that the lighting wasn't good, but I liked the scenes overall.

Dragonstone: Sure it has been completely deserted since Stannis left. He didn't leave a small force there and no one tried to conquer it. As I've said before Emilia Clarke's acting in this scene was terrible. 

On 19/07/2017 at 10:38 AM, Cas Stark said:

I thought her expressions were pretty bad also....she can be okay, I will never understand how or why her best season by far was Season 1, and as she has had more experience, she has gotten worse, same with Sophie,  I'm now feeling that Sophie and Emilia are neck and neck for bad acting, and I used to think that Sophie was almost always good.  That puts Kit as only the third worst actor on the show, LOL, and at least he has generally improved, even if just a little.

There's a pretty simple explanation.

When actors are untested (as were the three weakest actors in the ensemble - Emilia, Sophie and Kit) they get a lot of direction. They're heavily managed by the directors, coaches and producers. As they gain experience this managing eases up and they're left to their own devices.

In a strong ensemble cast like GoT someone always has to be the weakest link, even if they're very talented in their own right. Unfortunately Kit and Emilia in particular have proven themselves to not just be weak links in GoT but in their other projects too.

It's always a gamble to hire a novice actor, especially when they're young. They'll either grow into and with their role or they'll flounder.

I used to be an actor, for what it's worth.

15 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

They?  You mean the ones he hung?

Yeah, I don't think they pull much weight anymore, just the end of those ropes. 

Sure he's getting away with a lot but coming back from the dead gives you a lot of clout. 

Stannis wanted to use the Nights Watch and wildlings to fight his southern war.  Jon wants to use them to reinforce the wall and defend Westeros whether they accept him as king, and are his allies or not. 

He hung the ones who stabbed him, most of the rest of the Watch supported them.  They weren't upset that Stannis wanted to use them as cannon fodder for his war, they likely would have been fine with that (Jon wouldn't have liked that).  They didn't want them through the wall and taking over their lands and castles.  They killed their Lord Commander for letting the Wildlings through the wall, how do you think they will react to him (after throwing off his vows on a technicality, despite having used his position as LC after dying) now giving them control of some of their castles?  It's nitpicky (but that is kind of the point here), but all he has to say is, "Davos, go talk to the Watch about having Tormund man Eastwatch."  Instead he has an army just march there.  How well is going to go when they show up as an armed warband (and after tromping across like 1/3 of the North, liking not being all that friendly to the folks).

22 hours ago, Davros Seaworth said:

I know most of this, if not all, has probably been said already (and I am only up to page 8 in reading this), but since I've managed to get around to watching it and made notes as I did so, I thought I may as well post them here:

Why did Arya have the wife’s wine poured?

How did no one notice it happening?

What happened to Edmure?

How did she manage to take the form of his whole body?

How did Arya know that Cat’s throat was slit or Talisa was pregnant?

Is the Giant meant to be Wun Wun?

How did Meera drag Bran all the way to the Wall without incident?

How does Bran knowing that the AotD were sen by Edd make him a Stark?

Why does everone know he’s called the Night King?

Why are they sending the women to fight?
Why does no one realise that knitting is important?

Why does a little girl give orders still?

Why is Littlefinger still there?
What on earth is Davos doing?

Why is Sansa presented as unreasonable when Jon is just as stupid?

How was that undermining Jon?

Why does the conversion make no sense?

Why is Sansa calling Ned & Robb stupid?

Why does Cersei not demand Sansa’s head?

Why does Cersei still have an army?

Why are they trying so hard to keep Cersei relevant?

Why is Cheryl standing on the paint whilst it’s still wet?

What the fuck is she wearing? I know she had it at the end of last season, but it is shudderingly awful

Why were they waiting for a painted floor map their whole lives?

Why is Jaime still in love with Cersei?

How does Cersei know Tyrion was made Dany’s Hand of Queen

Why has their been no riots?

Why is there still a Lannister army?

How does she know about the Unsullied?

Why is she not dead?

Does Cheryl not understand what a dynasty is?

How did they find out the Freys are dead so fast?

Why are the sails identical?

How the fuck did Euron create ships out of thin air in a few weeks without any wood, and how did they not run into Dany’s feet?

What kind of anachronistic clothing is Euron wearing?

What ludicrously stupid thing us the Mountain wearing?

Why is Jaime stealing Jorah’s deeds when he has plenty of his own?

Is Euron meant to be scary, he looks pathetic?

Why would she invite Euron thre only to tell him to fuck off? And how did she magically know that Euron will want to find a guft to win her over?

Having been warned about stupid Sam scene I fastforwarded the whole stupid montage.

Harry Potter references? It’s so obviously Harry asking Slughorn about Horcruxes! Lazy writing.

Why is there a restricted section and why do they put the Dragonstone Dragonglass stuff in there?

Why would they keep stuff they don’t believe in in a restricted section?

So because the world has never ended, it won’t ever?

Why is Brienne always mean to Podrick?

What is with the stupid sexist stuff with Tormund/Brienne?

How does Littlefinger know that Brienne beat the Hound?

Good point Brienne why is LF still here?

They don’t need LF to have the Vale Knights. Tell the Vale about what LF did Sansa. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Stupid out of place song, its about Tyrion and Shae. Random soldier shouldn’t know it?

Why are none of them rapey?

Ed Sheeran. I’ve seen him act in “The Bastard Executioner”. He was actually better in that.

Why are Lannister soldiers even there?

Does humanising Lannister invalidate all the stupid Arya plots from last 2 years?

What do you mean old enough to drink? There is no drinking age. A baby is old enough to drink alcohol!

Why is the part of the Riverlands Arya is in snow free, but the part where Hound & Beric are is in a light blizzard?

I won’t comment on how it happened to be the right place due to the Inn at the Crossroads in the book, but it is pushing it.

Those skeletons have clearly been there for years. Look at the rotting.

Hound, Beric scene is okay.

Anti-religion?

How’d Hound get so good at seeing in fire?

And is there no budget to show what he sees?

Cleganebowl?

Why does the Hound nee to say what he’s doing? We can see him burying the dead?

Why did Sam forget about Stannis telling him about the Dragonglass?

Why is there a map to find Dragonglass in the book? Why would it need to be secret?

Why does Jorah want to touch everyone? Is he trying to infect them all?

Why does Dany look so smug?

Ridiculous outfit again.

The music didn’t make me feel anything.

Why is Drogon no longer bigger than Rhaegal & Viserion?

Why is Dragonstone comepletely empty?

Has nobody heard of scouts? Did they just know it would be empty due to plot?

Dragonstone looks lovely? Did they alter the lighting now that Satannis is no longer there?

Why is there now a throne in Dragonstone?

I thought they’d already begun?

Hope it's not too repetitive.

I am probably gonna be repeating something that has already been said all throughout my post (even this disclaimer is becoming repetitious), but I feel like writing it out of myself nonetheless. Oh, and Comic-Con just wrapped up, so that makes commenting a little bit more relevant, although I haven't watched it and I'm not sure I'm going to since it's the same thing every year (the first two were fine because GRRM moderated, but that happened in the olden days of seasons one and two - clearly a time long gone by).

Right off the bet, we open with a scene that confused the hell out of me. I was like 95% sure that it was Arya posing as Walder, so no surprise there. But how did she change her voice and body? Faceless men wear faces, and just that. In season 2 (who remebers that, certainly not D&D, as evidenced by some of their statements in older interviews and this episode) Jaqen changed his face but his voice stayed the same! In their own goddamned show!

I know this seems very nitpicky, but I say to hell with that. Anyone, who knows anything, I mean the tiniest little thing about writing (so you don't have to be a professor of creative writing or a world-renowned author, just a schmuck with an internet connection like me) knows that when you set up certain rules in your fiction you have to follow them or explain why you are not following them. That's why the defense that "it's a show with shadow babies and dragons dude, just go with it!" is the dumbest statement ever - dragons and magic existing are set up from the beginning as things that exist or have existed, so you suspend your disbelief. Faceless men literally, physically turning into another person apart from their face is not (I'm not talking about their identity, but their bodies) . I admit it's a harder-then-it-sounds rule to follow, even good writers slip up from time to time (then they usually remedy it with a retcon if they can), so what can we expect from the two doofuses?  

But you know what? I'm going to play the devil's advocate for a moment. So, the one faceless man who we saw (Jaqen) wasn't able to change his voice and body then the same (or was he the same - it was never made clear) guy dies then the Waif turns into him but was that all an illusion? My point is, it was never made clear what the faceless men can't and can do, and you can give them a little bit of leeway there. I can't, but you can.

But the question remains. HOW DID ARYA KNOW ANY OF IT? She became the most skilled faceless assasin ever between episodes last year. She cut up the Frey boys, baked them into a pie, fed them to Walder, then killed him, then hid his body, then poisoned all the wine, then literally turned into Walder, hosted a feast, made an ironic revenge speech, watched the Freys die, took of her mask, then walked out. Throughout all of that, NO ONE noticed her, NO ONE suspected her, she did it all undetected. How much bullhorsedungshit D&D think they can feed me (a lot more, I suspect) ? "But it's badass dude!!! Don't you get it?!!! She's a badass and she got revenge for her family! Have I mentioned that she's a badass??!!" Yeah, screw off...

Then she meets up with Ed Sheeran and the Team of Good Lannister Soldiers and they tell her about their girlfriends and their mommies or some shit (I wasn't really paying attention, I was distracted by Ed Sheeran's ginger hair) because you see, it's symbolism! Or something! It shows that not all the Lannisters are bad people! It's so much subtle! It's such smart writing (I'm literally turning into a doge as I'm typing this) !!!

Jokes aside, I've no serious problem with a short celebrity cameo (aside from putting money into it that almost certainly could have been spent better for something else), and he does have a very good voice (because of course they made him sing) , but Ed Sheeran is like the No.1 hot topic right now, I see and hear him everywhere already, so it was a tad bit distracting to watch him in a fantasy show as well.  

What else? Jon is king, he is merciful because he forgives his enemies' children, and oh yeah, Lyanna Mormont is a badass!!! We can't get enough of badass girls in this series!!! They all sass talk, and stare angrily at men!!! But seriously, I liked her last year, but they have been overdoing it with her a little bit from the start. If she was just a few years older, I would have no problem with it, but as it is, it's just strange hearing these things coming out of a 10-year-old child's mouth. But what bothers me more is the fan reaction to her. Oh boy, they eat this shit up enthusiastically and then they ask for more. Just read the youtube comment section under the clip from this episode and see that one tiny scene can make viewers worship a character because she's a "badass" (I'm hating that word more and more as time goes by) , when in reality she had something like four scenes alltogether. It offends me that some people are this easily impressed.

Sam's sequence I liked for the most part, although Jorah's introduction dissapointed me, I thought they were gonna do something with him findig a cure and all that, like in a sidequest sort-of-way for one or two episodes. It can still go somewhere, but I was underwhelmed.

Then we have Cersei and Jaime, who doesn't in the least bit seem bothered by the fact that her sister not only killed the Tyrells and the High Sparrow, but their uncle and their cousin as well. He probably didn't like Lancel, but I don't recall him having a problem with Kevan. But whatever, Cersei is having a giant Westeros map painted on the floor by some old dude who looked like he didn't like being there (who can blame him) and got the hell out of there the first chance he got.

Anyway, so they are talking about the same thing Tywin talked about six seasons ago, only this time we have a far lesser substitute repeating Tywin's dialogue almost word for word in Cersei. She is as inconsistent as ever of course, being over his son's death, which happened pretty quickly I must say. Naturally, there is still no trace of her deepening madness from the books (and this would be the perfect time for that, with her having no children left) , or anything that would make her just a little bit more interesting. She is calm and collected, and boring. Even her "mother lioness" persona was better, because it was something. But apparently she no longer really thinks of her children. I'd imagine a regular mother would go nearly mad if she lost all her children in a relatively short time, so why would the "mother lioness" , whose only redeeming quality was her fierce love for her cubs, act this nonchalantly about the whole thing? I get that everyone grieves differently, but I wouldn't have expected even show Cersei to not grieve at all. Something should be there, anything. But oh well, D&D always find a way to underwhelm me.

Oh and good old Jaime who is like a clueless puppy, wants to talk about Tommen, but Cersei isn't having any of it, and he doesn't press the issue. Instead he asks who's gonna be their ally, and then like a punchline at the end of a joke comes Euron "Big Cock" Greyjoy!

To say that I was dissapointed with Euron last year would be an understatement. One of the coolest characters with the coolest introduction was turned into a...I don't even know what. He was uninteresting, unthreatening and ridiculous, but not in a good way. I laughed at his absurd lines, but not because they were funny. The actor they chose is way too young for the part, even if Euron is the youngest of Balon's brothers, he should be at least in his forties, considering Balon's age in the show. Mads Mikkelsen has been a fan favourite for this part for years, and I agree. He would have killed in this role. The guy they went with looks like he is just a few years out of drama school. 

But I digress. The Euron scene was OK, nothing special, and this time I saw just a little bit more of book Euron in him, but not nearly enough to convince me that this actor was the right choice, or the direction they went with the charater was the right one. I doubt I will ever be convinced about that. 

The Sandor stuff I liked, mostly because Rory Mccann gives this character a kind of softer quality than what he had in the books. It's one of the few things I like better in the show to be honest.

And finally I liked the Dany scene at the end as well, mostly because she didn't open her mouth til the last moment. The problem I have with it that it should have happened years ago. Admittedly I don't like this in the books either. Dany staying overseas for too long I mean. The whole point of her getting an army in season 3 (!) was so that she could sail home and take her throne back. The fact that it took this long has always bothered me and since I'm not a book purist It would have been okay with me if they had changed the story around in a way that would have involved her getting home earlier.

All in all, a pretty standard season opener, let's see where it goes. If the leaks are to be trusted, it goes to shit (even more so than it already has) , but hey, we're not there yet so we can hope it doesn't go shittier. I'll say this - I liked it more than I expected, but I fear the worst is still ahead of us. 

It was truly lousy. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Most of my obvious gripes have been pointed out already. They've dumbed the show down to such a point, its easier to watch it as a mockery of itself. Hence, why I"m tuning in again, and rather than face bringing up any of the stupidity to the masses of raging fanbois, I come in here and laugh along with you guys.

My biggest chuckles came from:

- the mask making Aria a foot and half taller

- the now slimmed down Euron telling the character formerly known as Cersei she is the most beautiful woman in the seven kingdoms as she sits there in her Prince Valiant bowl cut

- the Mormont girl NOT getting thrown out of the hall, or not getting smacked for her insolence

- apparently, Clegane is a time-traveler and ran into modern hipsters, so knew the "top bun" term, and that the look was now prissy and annoying

- of course, the old enough to drink comment

- Sansa who spent her whole life learning etiquette, having the worst possible manners

- the gaping memory hole disease striking so many characters, leading them to forget their major life events and even people they know well.

I've watched cartoons with more plot consistency from week to week. Until George finishes the books, which may be never, I will continue watching and LAUGHING.

I think I was blinded a little to the sheer number of issues in the King's Landing sequence by how much better Pilous Asbaek was. I liked Asbaek in what I'd seen of him before and was surprised by how bad he was last season, but I always felt he was miscast (and still do).

I mean, I noted Jaime continuing inexplicably to be Cersei's devoted lapdog, that they seem to have an incredible wealth of up-to-date info despite not having Varys or LF or another Master of Whisperers as competent as them, and that Euron's ship-building from a starting point of Old Wyk would be ludicrous even if he were Superman.

But I didn't notice until second viewing, with observations by others, how it's left to Euron to make a plea (and a rejected one at that) despite establishing that Cersei invited him because she needs a major alliance. And I didn't notice how crazy it is that Cersei wouldn't demand the price for her agreement as the taking and defending of a deserted Dragonstone, especially when she knows that Daenerys Targaryen is on her way and will be looking to take it and Euron will have to pass close to it on his way back out from Blackwater Bay.

The more I think about this sequence, the more I think any accomplished writer would take one read-through to realise he/she needs to rewrite the sequence again from scratch. I get the impression they don't rewrite things on GoT, so long as what is written meets the criteria of moving the plot along despite illogical story developments and/or characterisations.

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I think I was blinded a little to the sheer number of issues in the King's Landing sequence by how much better Pilous Asbaek was. I liked Asbaek in what I'd seen of him before and was surprised by how bad he was last season, but I always felt he was miscast (and still do).

I mean, I noted Jaime continuing inexplicably to be Cersei's devoted lapdog, that they seem to have an incredible wealth of up-to-date info despite not having Varys or LF or another Master of Whisperers as competent as them, and that Euron's ship-building from a starting point of Old Wyk would be ludicrous even if he were Superman.

But I didn't notice until second viewing, with observations by others, how it's left to Euron to make a plea (and a rejected one at that) despite establishing that Cersei invited him because she needs a major alliance. And I didn't notice how crazy it is that Cersei wouldn't demand the price for her agreement as the taking and defending of a deserted Dragonstone, especially when she knows that Daenerys Targaryen is on her way and will be looking to take it and Euron will have to pass close to it on his way back out from Blackwater Bay.

The more I think about this sequence, the more I think any accomplished writer would take one read-through to realise he/she needs to rewrite the sequence again from scratch. I get the impression they don't rewrite things on GoT, so long as what is written meets the criteria of moving the plot along despite illogical story developments and/or characterisations.

I agree that Euron is much improved.  I also agree that while as a set piece it works okay, it doesn't make any sense for the reasons you state.  She asks him there, but lets him leave w/a vague promise of a good gift, we know from the spoilers that he will deliver...but that doesn't make the scene itself any more logical.  That she and her bro have just decided that Dany will land AT DRAGONSTONE....and no mention nor preparations are made in this regard, especially with the punk rocker pirate and his 1000 ships right in front of them....ugh.  Sad.  

5 minutes ago, Ninerings said:

So. Should I be logged in before the episode starts in order to access the Rant and Rave for tonight? Or as soon as I refresh am I going to get kicked?

Should be the refresh.  At that point, you're having to ping the server to request the new information.  If you log in now, you only connect to the server while you're downloading it (ie, now) and then your computer stops the connection.  Every now and then, it should reping for simple updates for the notifications (but it doesn't redownload the website when that happens).  You need to reconnect to the server (either via refreshing or clicking the link in the notification) to download the updated webpage. So when everyone and their former roommate's dogwalker is trying to ping the server and download the webpage at the same time, your ping gets lost among the crowd, even if you already have a previous version downloaded in your browser.

Just now, JonSnow4President said:

Should be the refresh.  At that point, you're having to ping the server to request the new information.  If you log in now, you only connect to the server while you're downloading it (ie, now) and then your computer stops the connection.  Every now and then, it should reping for simple updates for the notifications (but it doesn't redownload the website when that happens).  You need to reconnect to the server (either via refreshing or clicking the link in the notification) to download the updated webpage. So when everyone and their former roommate's dogwalker is trying to ping the server and download the webpage at the same time, your ping gets lost among the crowd, even if you already have a previous version downloaded in your browser.

Thanks man. I am so not a computer guy! Basically it is a coin flip later.

Archived