[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

teemo

4 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

ActuaLly Jon also knows that he is alive from Sam. But thwy just dont care.

Yes, I do recall, but Sansa's discovery is more recent so even less excuse for the writers to ignore it!

On 7/17/2017 at 0:16 AM, Gertrude said:

Exactly my point.

I thought that was what they were going for showing only one eye glowing, the right one being gone. That's how Wun Wun died. Also, Wun Wun is credited on the IMDB page and I know that's notoriously unreliable, but my gut is telling me that's what the writers wanted to go for. I want to be wrong.

Not all one eyed dead giants are Wun Wun. 

The credit was probably for the actor under all that makeup who has been a few different giants throughout the course of the series. Someone just assumed they knew who he was portraying. 

On 7/17/2017 at 1:04 AM, TRILOGY said:

I can't believe all the spoilers are real, the level of incompetence, what the hell HBO? 

I like this new side of Jon but he was so arrogant and mean: "And how should I be smarter? By listening to you?" Does he think she’s stupid? And the Cersei comparison.... it seems very out of character for Jon to say that too.

The episode was good but I felt some scenes were too long or maybe even unnecessary. (Sam and The Hound, especially) 

She did compare him to Joffrey.  So...

On 7/17/2017 at 1:47 AM, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

For example the whole thing about women fighting in this episode.  A medieval society that's faced with survival issues do not sent their women to fight. They would send them further away from danger because the survival of those who are able to give birth to children are far more crucial to the survival of your society than the survial those who can't.  Having women joining the fighting forces is a modern issue but that's all D&D knows. 

Maybe when humans are fighting humans.  Women and children were usually taken by the conquering side.  Against white walkers?  Against an army of the dead?  

Seems perfectly reasonable to expect everyone to fight.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Did Arya fail to free her uncle Edmure or did we just not see that in order not to detract from Mystique Stark's badassness?

Arya failed to free Edmure, because D&D forgot about him themselves. These days, the characters act out D&D forgetfulness.

D1: "Oh, shit that's right, we forgot to make Sam tell Jon what Stannis told him about Dragonstone."

D2: "Well, let's remind Sam of it via a book in the Citadel. And then he can still send a raven to Jon about it. Then we give Sam something to do other than pouring soup and shit."

D1: "Cool, let's do that. And we'll have Sam remind himself and the audience that Stannis once told him about it... for continuity."

Towards the end of S8, when someone mentions Lord Edmure, Arya will suddenly remember and send a raven to the Twins to remind the women to free Edmure.

Just now, sweetsunray said:

Arya failed to free Edmure, because D&D forgot about him themselves.

It could go either way.  They had Walder Frey mention him specifically in the scene where Mystique killed him....and presumably, even Mystique Stark would take a couple of days to organize her mass assassination.....so she had time to recall and free her uncle.  

He could turn up, or not.  And it doesn't even matter whether he does, or doesn't, because the Internet will create whatever intricate back story is needed to make this not be a plot hole.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They had Walder Frey mention him specifically in the scene where Mystique killed him

IIRC he mentioned him to Jaime, during his tete a tete with Jaime. Mystique was pouring wine at another table and had mostly eyes for Jaime then.

On 17/07/2017 at 11:36 AM, Gertrude said:

And if that giant in the opening shot was supposed to be Wun Wun with only one glowing blue eye, I give up.

Yup, that would be really stupid if it wasn't a random giant but indeed Wun Wun.  Are the writers intentionally making Jon so dumb that he didn't have all the dead burned so they can't be resurrected???  Will Smalljohn and Ramsay be resurrected by the Night King too?

PS  If it was Wun Wun, the "blue eye" was actually the one Ramsay shot an arrow through.  They gave him the wrong eye.

On 17/7/2017 at 0:19 PM, Rockroi said:

The show isn’t terrible – its not, despite my lukewarm reception to it; its just feeling less and less interesting; more and more predictable; its not NEARLY as hard for the heroes as it was in the past and the “villains” seem already defeated- like we are just waiting for the ref to stop the fight.  The drama of the show is done: replaced by buried treasure, magic and fan-service.  And that is not only too easy.  Its also boring.  

21 hours ago, SuperMario said:

I disagree. Willas Tyrell is a cripple who is in line to inherit Highgarden, though, that doesn't exist in the show. And it's not like Bran hasn't been Lord of Winterfell before. Once Robb departed for war, he left Winterfell in Bran's hands, and the other lords and vassals seemed to follow him just fine. Not to stick up for this show as it is misogynistic in so many other ways, but Bran returning follows typical succession rights established by GRRM. It would not be misogynistic for Bran to be the ruler of Winterfell over Sansa and even Jon. He is the last true-born son of Ned Stark.

And I also disagree that Bran won't leave the cave in the books. Before last season I would have agreed with you, but Hodor seems too important for it not to happen in the books. It might be slightly different in how it plays out, but I think Bran will escape using Hodor.

+1, all of this. 

On 7/16/2017 at 9:57 PM, teemo said:

It's tradition! Our space to criticize the show.

Now that the site seems to be working well (knock on wood), I just wanted to thank you for the tradition of this thread.  I wondered if you'd be here this season to do it, and it was great to see your name and avi when I showed up.  It was just hard to maintain reading and posting here yesterday and Sunday.

Funny thing is, I might, this week anyway, go for the old name of the thread: NITPICKS, LOL  I doubt that feeling will last, as the butterfly effect reasserts itself.

My main issues were, of course, Sandra and her all over the place advice in all the wrong ways and places.  Arya being LS, I guess.  Then they try and return her to herself with perhaps seeing the humanity in the Lannister soldiers.  I think Dany and Dragonstone could have been better, perhaps they should have had the castle checked out first, then let her land on dragon back?  Also, Jaime as Larry with Jaime peeking out through his eyes, sometimes.  Ughhh

That's just a start on my thoughts, as it's been a couple days now.  I have to admit, after the travesty of the past couple seasons, I'm surprised I didn't hate hate hate it, even enjoyed some of it.  My first thougths on the episode, minus NITPICKS was that I thought it seemed they tried to restore some heart to the story after the horrid last couple of seasons.  BUT, knowing the D's, I suspect a nasty trap in that thought as well.  It is their style.  I suspect the more I settle into it........full on RANTS will return from me, LOL

I was a bit underwhelmed by dragonstone.  I can't remember how much of it was shown in previous seasons, but it pales when compared to Castle Stokeworth, just sayin. 

But, my only serious objection was the traitorous Sandra Bolton continuing to undermine the good guys.

On 17/07/2017 at 0:49 PM, Le Cygne said:

Really bad writing now that they don't have GRRM's story anymore. It's all so plodding and dull.

And repetitive.

On 17/07/2017 at 0:58 PM, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Well, Arya never actually met him, I'm actually okay with the idea that Arya has become so consumed with avenging her dead family members that she actually forgets about her living family members.  That's a valid direction to go, albeit perhaps not a popular one.

I'm just sayin, you know, pay Tobias Menzes his cameo money and tie up the loose end either way.

Or hell, could even have had Cersei and Jaime mention that Edmure Tully got free somehow and has regained control of Riverrun and/or The Riverland now that the Freys have all been whacked, and he's pledged to his niece Sansa and/or cut off our supply line to Casterly Rock.

Wouldn't take long.  It's just crossing a T and dotting an I.

Or even simpler, just say he's in a cell at Casterly Rock.

The whole dragon glass thing is comedy gold.

Jon Snow actually instructed everone to plow the earth upside down for dragon glass while there's a mine everyone should know about.

it's Monty Pythonesque.

25 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Maybe when humans are fighting humans.  Women and children were usually taken by the conquering side.  Against white walkers?  Against an army of the dead?  

Seems perfectly reasonable to expect everyone to fight.

Obviously everyone will participate, but fighting requires more than just swords.  You need all kinds of support to fight a war, people to prepare food, people to sew leather armor and repair metal armor, people to care for the wounded, , etc, etc. Even the Nights Watch divided their forces into rangers and stewards and smiths. 

That scene was in there to virtual signal about present day sensibilities of "let's have women in combat".

On 7/17/2017 at 9:00 AM, divica said:

Nobody talks about the friendliest soldiers in the world? I found it so strange that a group of soldiers with little food sees a girl riding alone and asks her to join them...

They have to humanize the rank and file of the south if the unification against the supernatural threat beyond the wall is going to be believable. 

It did seem unbelievable though, but I have a low opinion of humanity.  My expectation would be that they would either do bad things, or they would insist she accompany them because she's a defenseless girl in need of their protection. 

6 minutes ago, Hoo said:

The whole dragon glass thing is comedy gold.

Jon Snow actually instructed everone to plow the earth upside down for dragon glass while there's a mine everyone should know about.

it's Monty Pythonesque.

LOL, I kind of wondered that myself....is there any reason that Jon has for thinking that there is dragon glass to be mined in the North....and he already knows about Dragonstone.....maybe he's was planning to invade Dragonstone but failed to mention that detail?

Just now, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

But she also said he's "great" at ruling, just 30 seconds earlier.  Maybe she thinks Joffrey was also "great" at ruling.

She's insane.  Jon should lock her in her room for her own good and for the good of the North.

Archived