Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

10 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

The latter part still remains interesting.  The post concerns new Wild Cards content being available.  His online mood is often pleased when he makes these announcements. 

I agree. Him locking the comments means he's definitely not ignorant to what he stirred in his fan base.

Yup, locked comments on Wild Card post, that is the first one, he usually likes chatting with the like five Wild Cards fans that exist.

He probably is not finished but close enough to the end as he is confident he can keep the comments locked and miss on all the Wild Cards feedback for a few days.

If he announces that he is finished before going to Finland, it's great, if not hype train goes in for a quick maintenance break.

8 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

Yup, locked comments on Wild Card post, that is the first one, he usually likes chatting with the like five Wild Cards fans that exist.

He probably is not finished but close enough to the end as he is confident he can keep the comments locked and miss on all the Wild Cards feedback for a few days.

If he announces that he is finished before going to Finland, it's great, if not hype train goes in for a quick maintenance break.

You can measure how big of an Ice and Fire fan someone is by how much they despise Wildcards.

9 hours ago, dmc515 said:

This is quite the interesting thread.  Frankly, the fact it hasn't been locked/deleted at this point could be construed as positive evidence in and of itself.  I agree with those that have maintained it is very unlike Martin to troll his readers.  And I'm not going to insult his intelligence - he's either doing that at this point, or he at least has some type of significant update on TWOW in mind.  Of course, I'm an optimist.

Actually, this is the second thread about the post. I created this one after the previous disappeared :) Maybe it's just a matter of time until this one is beheaded. 

I don't remember if it was already said here, but I just noticed that you can't comment on any post on the blog at the moment. Not even the old ones that had their comment sections open at the beginning.

I thought that only the comments from the Valyria post forward were locked.

Yeah and i noticed someone snuck a comment into his last post before the 'alas valyria' one. so therefore he's locked the comments to all existing posts following the one that got through after he'd posted 'alas valyria'.

9 hours ago, edd tollett:( said:

Grrm has said on multiple occasions that when winds was finished, he would annouce it first on his not a blog

Exactly as he did when he finished writing ADwD. :)

GRRM promised us that he would not play tricks or games when he finished TWOW.
But this is not a post about him finishing TWOW, but only about being close to finished. He's most probably done writing, but not done removing the 'fat' from the text (removing unnecessary lines/words/paragraphs). He earlier said that that was the last work on the manuscript before he sent it in to his editors.

I'd say that he needs 1 more month before he will publish the 'finished' announcement without tricks or riddles.

4 minutes ago, Rho'd Berth said:

GRRM promised us that he would not play tricks or games when he finished TWOW.
But this is not a post about him finishing TWOW, but only about being close to finished. He's most probably done writing, but not done removing the 'fat' from the text (removing unnecessary lines/words/paragraphs). He earlier said that that was the last work on the manuscript before he sent it in to his editors.

I'd say that he needs 1 more month before he will publish the 'finished' announcement without tricks or riddles.

I don t think it makes sense to keep this status quo for a month. It isn t good for anybody... and if it was the case I think grrm would say he is editing his manuscript without giving us a date of release

5 minutes ago, Eduardo Aranha said:

According to his site: 

Aug. 9 – 13, 2017 - 75th WorldCon World Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention in Helsinki

Thanks.  I wonder if he's meeting w/his publishers in NY before or after?  I guess it's theoretically possible he announces Winds is finished @ Worldcon.....but I don't think he IS finished.

On 19.07.2017 at 0:45 AM, Valyirian Aurochs said:

Another bout of optimism: I do think ADoS will be easier for him to write than TWoW. 

That's what people (and GRRM himself) have said about TWoW. And we see how that turned out. As for the enigmatic post, I don't know what to think of it, really. The wisest thing is to be pessimistic until there is an actual cause for optimism. 

11 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

That's what people (and GRRM himself) have said about TWoW. And we see how that turned out. As for the enigmatic post, I don't know what to think of it, really. The wisest thing is to be pessimistic until there is an actual cause for optimism. 

You can always think that affc and adwd were only a book that took 11 years

Just now, Let's Get Kraken said:

Interesting that he's disabled comments on all of his subsequent posts...

Not only the subsequent posts. I think he has disabled comments in the entire blog. I tried to comment an old post this morning, and there was no option to do it.

6 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

Hahaha. This made me laugh out loud. And it's also true. :lol:

Archived