Enigmatic 'Not a Blog' Post: Alas, Valyria

Eduardo Aranha

Just now, Valyirian Aurochs said:

Another bout of optimism: I do think ADoS will be easier for him to write than TWoW. I remember George saying in interviews that he planned on killing a lot of characters, so I assume the story will get less complicated by the end of TWoW.

I agree. What baffles me is that Martin (and lots of readers) actually thought after the Meereen Knot it would all be smooth sailing. I mean, really, the amount of characters and plots, the storylines, and much as was the case w/ the MK, figuring out who arrives where first etc etc. It's a massively daunting job. :dunno:

Just now, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Ugh, you failed!  That was from the pharmacy scene in Magnolia, when Julianne Moore was fed up with the suspicion.

"Don't you call me LADY!"

Damn! I love that film, and I obviously love her! Time to re-watch it. :)

Given how long the books are, the complexity of the plot, his desire to include symbolism and the number of potential distractions since he's become famous, his writing is not *that* slow.

6 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I wish Paul Thomas Anderson would write a part specifically for her.  She's superb in everything but Boogie Nights and Magnolia were legendary performances. 

Couldn't possibly agree more. :)

4 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Given how long the books are, the complexity of the plot, his desire to include symbolism and the number of potential distractions since he's become famous, his writing is not *that* slow.

Exactly. 

29 minutes ago, Valyirian Aurochs said:

Another bout of optimism: I do think ADoS will be easier for him to write than TWoW. I remember George saying in interviews that he planned on killing a lot of characters, so I assume the story will get less complicated by the end of TWoW.

Everyone said that Winds would be easier to write than Dance, too.  But, it has now officially taken longer than Dance and no end in sight......

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Everyone said that Winds would be easier to write than Dance, too.  But, it has now officially taken longer than Dance and no end in sight......

TWoW is probably the most complicated book in the entire series. All of those POV characters are converging in this book, and Mr. Martin said that a lot of them will die. ADoS will be easier in the sense that he will have to write for fewer characters. Just think of the first three books where there weren't that many POVs. Those books were considerably easier for him to write. 

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Ditto.  That rationale has proven to be wrong.  And I was one of the biggest supporters of that opinion because of the fact of GRRM having multiple chapters moved from ADWD to TWOW.  The head start did not decrease the wait, as Cas Stark has reminded us, "it has now officially taken longer than Dance..."

56 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It won't happen. And thank the Old Gods and the new for that. 

@Lady Char, nope. In April (or was it March? Can't remember exactly but it was either Apr or Mar) announced he was finished, and the book was published mid-July.

I would prefer if grrm is involved in writting the final books of the saga than having someone finishing it for him after he dies or don t giving an end to the story.

If asoiaf isn t finished I think it will be forgotten because noone wants to read an unfished story...

3 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Ditto.  That rationale has proven to be wrong.  And I was one of the biggest supporters of that opinion because of the fact of him having multiple chapters moved from ADWD to TWOW.  The head start did not decrease the wait, as Cas Stark has reminded us, "it has now officially taken longer than Dance..."

I don't know what was said in the discussion, but I don't see any reason for Winds being easier to write than Dance. Winds will tie up the two previous books into one, and that alone is enough to make Winds a difficult project. I'm not really surprised that Winds has taken longer, and I would have never guessed it would be easier. As I've said previously I think ADoS will (hopefully) be easier due to the complexity toning down. 

9 minutes ago, Valyirian Aurochs said:

TWoW is probably the most complicated book in the entire series. All of those POV characters are converging in this book, and Mr. Martin said that a lot of them will die. ADoS will be easier in the sense that he will have to write for fewer characters. Just think of the first three books where there weren't that many POVs. Those books were considerably easier for him to write. 

I agree. Fewer characters and locations both. 

2 minutes ago, Valyirian Aurochs said:

I don't know what was said in the discussion, but I don't see any reason for Winds being easier to write than Dance.

"Sansa, Sam, Aeron Damphair, Arianne, and Brienne have no chapters in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Several of those characters had chapters written, completed, and polished that have been moved into THE WINDS OF WINTER."

--GRRM 5/19/2011

Thousands of fans thought and/or hoped that gave us reason to believe he would finish early.

1 minute ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

"Sansa, Sam, Aeron Damphair, Arianne, and Brienne have no chapters in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Several of those characters had chapters written, completed, and polished that have been moved into THE WINDS OF WINTER."

--GRRM 5/19/2011

Thousands of fans thought and/or hoped that gave us reason to believe he would finish early.

Sansa, Sam, Aeron, Arianne and Brienne may be dead when TWoW ends. Maybe only some of them, or maybe all of them. Fewer characters to write for, fewer storylines needing his attention. I refuse to be anything less than an optimistic cow.

Everyone keeps talking about A Dance With Dragons as being written in 6 years, when in reality a lot of it was written while GRRM wrote Feast.  When he decided to split Feast into two books, we don't know how much of ADWD was already written.  Granted, there was probably some re-working once he was done with Feast, but I'm sure he had a big head start on ADWD once Feast was published.

Archived