[Spoilers] Will Arya honor guestright?

On 7/18/2017 at 5:12 PM, Lisula said:

Sigh. I think you're probably right.

So I say yes, she will honour the guest right; but sadly they seem doomed. Some of them anyway. 

Okay, did anyone else feel it was sinister when that scene included a innocent remark about the importance of being kind to a stranger?

My hair stood up at that. Everything was going so well until that red flag. It was subtle, that easy comment. It might have been a perfectly natural soldier's saying that after all the fighting, it's a relief to be hospitable to a random person who offers no threat. It's what we would say. It's how we might put it. It's a classic theme in fairy tales. 

But, to me, it seemed that he'd made an accidental reference to the Westerosi seventh god, the one they never talk about.

The Stranger = Death. I believe that won't end well. Did anybody else hear that as a coded warning?

(By the way, I want to be wrong about that, I really do.)

The Stranger ≠ strangers your mother talked about being nice to.

2 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I hope so too. I think if Arya goes after Cercei she will die. I think the only person who will succeed in killing Cercei is the one person she trusts, Jaime. Arya's killing talents will be wasted if she remains too insistent on her revenge killings.

Jamie will definitely kill Cersei. Whether it's really Jamie, or Arya wearing Jamie's face remains to be seen.

How cool would it be if Arya had a Nymeria dream - then wakes up to Nymeria killing the soldiers. Won't happen, because it would confuse the audience at this point, but it would be cool.

However, a bigger question is, will the soldiers honor their end of Guest Rights? As in, not hurt her in any way... What's more likely is, one or more of the boys get drunk and might try a little rape... Nymeria shows up, and saves the day. That would also be cool. 

No more wolf dreams for the stark kids im afraid, Bran was the only one showing the trait and summer its gone.. Perhaps Nym's pack has a part to play in the wars to come, but i dont think we will actually SEE more of her, probably just third parties stories about the pack, not more.. After all Ghost hasnt done much since what? Season 3?..4? I dont think D&D will spend money on Direwolves... 

42 minutes ago, VenezuelanLord said:

No more wolf dreams for the stark kids im afraid, Bran was the only one showing the trait and summer its gone.. Perhaps Nym's pack has a part to play in the wars to come, but i dont think we will actually SEE more of her, probably just third parties stories about the pack, not more.. After all Ghost hasnt done much since what? Season 3?..4? I dont think D&D will spend money on Direwolves... 

In the trailer of the next episode you can see a (dire)wolf. Probably Nym. 

Even though, they are Lannister men  I sure hope that she honors guest rights.  She just made a speech about it before killing all the freys. 

Now, that I think on this,  she has already violated that oath.   She posing as Walder Frey, killed all her guest.  She made them eat and drink before killing them, beacause they kill people that they had invited to their home. 

This is part of the reason why I do think that Araya is doomed by the old Gods.  She is doing this all in the name of her family, however she is breaking the Old gods rules in order to do it.     I just hope that everything works on at least with this group of men.   She looked at peace & happy during their talk( meanwhile looking at their weapons off behind them).   But, this is GOT, nothing good last:blink:

3 hours ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

In the trailer of the next episode you can see a (dire)wolf. Probably Nym. 

Ou cant be sure its Nym, but even granting that, it doesn't mean she will have wolf dreams, thats a book only trait... 

23 minutes ago, Prince Jon said:

Hopefully she will not kill the soldiers since it would be hypocritical.  Plus they are not on her list. 

I don't know if it would be hypocritical...Arya seems to have taken a lot of Stoneheart's plot in the show and that revolved around killing Freys and Lannisters indiscriminately.  I hope that she doesn't end up killing them- that would be extremely dark and something that I don't think she could really come back from.  

On 19/07/2017 at 1:12 AM, Lisula said:

Sigh. I think you're probably right.

So I say yes, she will honour the guest right; but sadly they seem doomed. Some of them anyway. 

Okay, did anyone else feel it was sinister when that scene included a innocent remark about the importance of being kind to a stranger?

My hair stood up at that. Everything was going so well until that red flag. It was subtle, that easy comment. It might have been a perfectly natural soldier's saying that after all the fighting, it's a relief to be hospitable to a random person who offers no threat. It's what we would say. It's how we might put it. It's a classic theme in fairy tales. 

But, to me, it seemed that he'd made an accidental reference to the Westerosi seventh god, the one they never talk about.

The Stranger = Death. I believe that won't end well. Did anybody else hear that as a coded warning?

(By the way, I want to be wrong about that, I really do.)

Yes, I noted the stranger reference too! I recon they're doomed, nice friendly people don't last long in Westeros.  I also reckon it will be Nymeria & pack. Arya might dream it through the wolf's eyes and wake up to find everyone butchered but herself.

Very hard for me to say if she will kill them or not. I have read/heard somewhere that a FM cannot kill someone when he/she knows him, correct me if I'm wrong. I guess it was from the book, where the crew of the ship that took Arya to Braavos were telling her their names and giving her gifts or something? If the latter is the case I don't recall the Lannister lot being introduced to Arya, and vice versa; of course the wabbit can be seen as a gift to her, so I don't suppose we will see any gift to the Many-Faced God, unless both requirements have to be fulfilled (formal introduction + gift). Depends on Arya's mood I guess. I'd like to see Nymeria though in action.

PS: I'm pretty sure that Arya knows Ed Sheeran so he won't be wasted by her; it is known. I cannot promise anything about Nymeria's taste in music though.

On 7/20/2017 at 1:19 AM, ShadowKitteh said:

The Stranger ≠ strangers your mother talked about being nice to.

Jamie will definitely kill Cersei. Whether it's really Jamie, or Arya wearing Jamie's face remains to be seen.

How cool would it be if Arya had a Nymeria dream - then wakes up to Nymeria killing the soldiers. Won't happen, because it would confuse the audience at this point, but it would be cool.

However, a bigger question is, will the soldiers honor their end of Guest Rights? As in, not hurt her in any way... What's more likely is, one or more of the boys get drunk and might try a little rape... Nymeria shows up, and saves the day. That would also be cool. 

I think they will honor guest right. The soldiers all seemed very youthful and innocent, untried. So they were very trusting and welcoming. GOT has shown us what happens to young, idealistic people, especially soldiers marching off to fight.

You are right that the stranger reference was important. I think (and I am often wrong on these things) that it isn't a foreshadow of Arya bringing death to them, even though she is the embodiment of the stranger.  Even the stranger god is expected to follow guest right. It was acknowledging her potential threat to them and them engaging in the necessary behavior protect themselves from her. 

Now Arya can only harm them if they try to harm her. She also has a duty to protect them while she is their guest. It is ironic because I'm pretty sure she was hatching a plan to kill them just for being Lanister soldiers as she rode up. So the offering of the food and her reluctant acceptance of it changed her murderous plans. Arya didn't succeed in killing The Hound either and he wound up protecting her. She is still learning how to mitigate her revenge schemes and not become that which she hates, a blood lusting killer. She is still learning to identify who she should let live.

I don't recall this in the t.v. series, but in the book when Arya got on the ship for Bravos, many of the crew gave her gifts and had her memorize their names. Others did not speak to her at all. Later in the house of black and white, she observed the faceless men discussing who would undertake a new assassination contract. The meeting involved them asking if anyone knew this person, and those who knew them were refused the assignment and those who did not know them would be considered for it. I think if they all knew the person, then the faceless men might decline the contract entirely but my memory is fuzzy on some of the details of this part of the books. So "the gift" is given by a stranger, the stranger. I think that rule applies in the t.v. series as well.

To be sure, the stranger follows soldiers no matter who they dine with. 

3 hours ago, The Dew said:

Very hard for me to say if she will kill them or not. I have read/heard somewhere that a FM cannot kill someone when he/she knows him, correct me if I'm wrong. I guess it was from the book, where the crew of the ship that took Arya to Braavos were telling her their names and giving her gifts or something? If the latter is the case I don't recall the Lannister lot being introduced to Arya, and vice versa; of course the wabbit can be seen as a gift to her, so I don't suppose we will see any gift to the Many-Faced God, unless both requirements have to be fulfilled (formal introduction + gift). Depends on Arya's mood I guess. I'd like to see Nymeria though in action.

PS: I'm pretty sure that Arya knows Ed Sheeran so he won't be wasted by her; it is known. I cannot promise anything about Nymeria's taste in music though.

I didn't your response until after I posted my blathering long one on the same subject.

I think that Arya recognized the will of the gods when the soldier told her his mother told him to be nice to strangers. That was basically the gods saying, not today for these soldiers, not you.

Arya did not just accidentally happen on them. She is too experienced and careful for that. She probably watched them and worked out how she was going to kill them before she casually approached them with her innocent look. So the words of the stranger invoking guest right was a clear message to her that these boys were not hers to kill. The stranger has other plans for them.

18 hours ago, TyrionFan82 said:

I believe Arya, now, is a woman of honor. She wouldn't kill without reason and so won't kill a Lannister to just kill a Lannister unless it was a certain one.

Arya is NOT a woman of honor. She has many good traits, but being honourable isn't one of them.

Ned was honourable. Jon has a strong sense of honor.  Rob, Bran and even Sansa had a good sense of honor, but Arya?? At no point in the show has she even mentioned honor or showed she places any value at all on being honorable,

Also, when her honor has been questioned (like in season 2 when Jaqen said to her, "a girl lacks honor") she just shrugs her shoulders or ignores it, clearly indicating it isn't a big deal to her.

Unlike her father, mother and all of her siblings, Arya has never shown that honor even ranks among her personal values. Arya is more practical and simply just does what needs to be done, even if it is dishonourable. When it comes to honor, Arya has more in common with a Tyrion or Varys than she does the rest of the Starks.

3 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

Arya is NOT a woman of honor. She has many good traits, but being honourable isn't one of them.

Ned was honourable. Jon has a strong sense of honor.  Rob, Bran and even Sansa had a good sense of honor, but Arya?? At no point in the show has she even mentioned honor or showed she places any value at all on being honorable,

Also, when her honor has been questioned (like in season 2 when Jaqen said to her, "a girl lacks honor") she just shrugs her shoulders or ignores it, clearly indicating it isn't a big deal to her.

Unlike her father, mother and all of her siblings, Arya has never shown that honor even ranks among her personal values. Arya is more practical and simply just does what needs to be done, even if it is dishonourable. When it comes to honor, Arya has more in common with a Tyrion or Varys than she does the rest of the Starks.

Good point. Maybe honorable was the wrong word...I should've said she does what she sees as honorable. She still wants to avenge her father and granted she got off the path becoming a Faceless Man (lol) but she's still looking to honor (in a sense) her Stark heritage.

On July 20, 2017 at 8:18 PM, TyrionFan82 said:

I believe Arya, now, is a woman of honor. She wouldn't kill without reason and so won't kill a Lannister to just kill a Lannister unless it was a certain one.

I think she also know the difference between Lannister soldiers and actual Lannisters.

On July 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Shhh, don't tell the preteen girls that. You will make them cry.

I may be old AF, but I get the Ed Sheeran attraction, whereas I do not get the Bieber thing at all.

Archived