Jon Stark or Snow?

FylkirKarl

Is Jon a Stark or still a Snow? Has he legitimized himself? It seems silly to keep his Snow surname, and legitimizing himself as a Stark or having Sansa do it would do nothing, but cement his rule of the North. That'd be like Gendry becoming King of the Stormlands, and keeping the name Gendry Waters instead of Gendry Baratheon or Gendry Durrandon if he's feeling a little anti-Targaryen.

Still. Is referred to as a Stark or Snow in this episode mind what Cersei says? Did his bannermen call him a Stark or Snow? Did Sansa as she's been saying for the past few episodes that she considers him a Stark. So is he King in the North Jon Snow or King in the North Jon Stark?

Jon is a King. He could call himself Jon Snifferpuffles for all he cares. I'm assuming he is now considered Jon Stark by his allies, but to Cersei Jon is still a bastard who has stolen the North from her so she'd still call him Jon Snow or just Bastard lol.

"Someday, you'll sit on the throne and the truth will be what you make it" - Cersei to Joffrey, Season 1

4 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Jon is a King. He could call himself Jon Snifferpuffles for all he cares.

This.  So much.  I would love him to be Jon Snifferpuffles, King in the North. 

But he is a Snow, and he'll remain a Snow regardless of his parentage unless Sam somehow finds a secret videotape (and VCR) of Lyanna and Rhaegar's wedding, along with the Maester who performed it, in the Restricted Section.  Somehow D&D doing this would not surprise me. 

to answer your question more specifically, i do think he himself sees and refers to himself as Snow, i dont think he will do otherwise,  at least until he knows of his true parentage (and assuming R&L did marry).. he wouldnt legitimize himself as a Stark, perhaps he would take the last name if Sansa,Arya or Bran (or the three of them together) asked him to, but making that call by himself, i dont think so.. 

Well he's still a bastard, only now he's a bastard in charge. Considering that he's currently fighting a war to save the world from evil, I don't think Jon is too preoccupied with whether he's actually Snow or Stark now. There are more pressing matters. Besides, it's a thing of habit I guess. He's lived 20 years as Jon Snow, I imagine it's a bit hard to just suddenly switch names. I mean, he's not transitioning genders or anything.

4 hours ago, VenezuelanLord said:

to answer your question more specifically, i do think he himself sees and refers to himself as Snow, i dont think he will do otherwise,  at least until he knows of his true parentage (and assuming R&L did marry).. he wouldnt legitimize himself as a Stark, perhaps he would take the last name if Sansa,Arya or Bran (or the three of them together) asked him to, but making that call by himself, i dont think so.. 

I agree with your response (Jon sees himself as Jon Snow) and Jon is not one to put on airs.  But I also see Jon neglecting the Targaryen part of his name, should that name be proven.  I could see him at any status simply being Jon Snow.  It is my opinion that Martin meant for the free folk, the wildings, Mance, and Tormond to have had a very large effect on Jon. We can even see evidence of that influence in the last episode where Jon wants the girls to practice weaponry and such in order to protect the home front, as the wildings do.

Note:  I have long wondered if Val was in the books for a possible ending where Jon and Val live north of the wall, with the free folk.

Hard to say what is the show canon for this, but based on the book Jon I think he wouldn't name himself Stark, out of respect towards Ned, Rob and maybe also Sansa. He would want to remain Snow. It has to do with his avoiding the "trappings of power" as Melisandre says.

I think he would remain a snow.  In the winds of winter from Season 6 Lord Manderly calls him the White Wolf. That is not in reference to ghost.  Normally the Stark banner is a grey dire wolf on a white banner.  Bastards that become head of their own hose have to reverse the covers like in the blackfrye rebellion.  So Johns banner would be  a white wolf on a grew banner.  Then in the opening credits for season 7 the dire wolf on Winterfell is a white wolf. 

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Jon Stark-Targaryen will be become his name. He will ascend to the title of King In the North and will thus be legitimized as a Stark by the Northern lords. When Howland Reed and/or Bran reveal his identity as a Targ, he will conjoin the names much similar to House Lorraine and House Hapsburg after the War of the Austrian Succession, when the Hapsburg-Lorraine dynasty was formed. House Stark-Targaryen of Winterfell, and Rickon will continue House Stark at the Dreadfort. Just my theory though, would be cool to see.

Archived