UK Politics - summer edition

Maltaran

This “banter” bullshit argument reminds me of the whole “just lockeroom talk” when those tapes of Trump were released during his campaign. Sickening then, sickening now, it is not banter and there is no context which would make it right

47 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This “banter” bullshit argument reminds me of the whole “just lockeroom talk” when those tapes of Trump were released during his campaign. Sickening then, sickening now, it is not banter and there is no context which would make it right

'Banter' has long stopped meaning 'typical British back-and-forth' and started meaning 'I'm gonna be a massive cock to you but you have to accept it coz otherwise you're not banterous'. It's infiuriating.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

'Banter' has long stopped meaning 'typical British back-and-forth' and started meaning 'I'm gonna be a massive cock to you but you have to accept it coz otherwise you're not banterous'. It's infiuriating.

Yep. And I’m the context of this thread it seems to be used here to mean “sure it was disturbing but boys will be boys!”

I actually thought Dianne Abbott talked about this pretty succinctly and clearly this morning, laying out various factors which contribute to the culture of sexual harassment in Westminster. 

I believe that the new diversionary term for being a gross shithead to women is "sexual chatter." From the earlier-linked story:

Meanwhile, former Welsh Secretary Stephen Crabb was reported by the Sunday Telegraph to have admitted sending "explicit" messages to a 19-year-old woman after a job interview at Westminster in 2013.

The married MP, who admitted meeting the woman "a few times," was quoted by the paper as saying he had been "foolish" but that there had been no sexual contact.

"I accept any kind of sexual chatter like this is totally wrong and I am sorry for my actions," the MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire said.

:stillsick: 

10 hours ago, Eggegg said:

He made some ‘sugar tits’ comment which I believe was a quote from Gavin and Stacey. Of course it sounds terrible now but in a bar environment where quite often workers banter with each other you can see how these things can happen.

He said "You are going nowhere, sugar tits.". That's more than enough context to judge that shit. And as for the "it was all jokes" take, when the target pretty clearly didn't enjoy it that's not actually OK. Any culture that says otherwise is toxic as fuck whether its sexist like this or simply harassing the person that was chosen (9 times out of 10, they'll be someone who has some attribute which sets them apart - woman, different racial background, gay etc going to more minor things if there is no minority group).

Really. Do you expect people to react to that old tired material?

Returning to the conversation between adults, the fact that Garnier is stating that this comment 'absolutely does not constitute harassment' completely invalidates his apology. He needs to be sacked already. In any normal government he would have been. 

What the hellhave I missed over the weekend?
Gross, and NOT OKAY. How has he not "resigned" yet?

Is May really that much of a puppet that she can't even act on this without consulting her cabinet?

It's no good giving out sound bites that "this situation can be tolerated any longer". You start by firing Garnier (who really shouldn't have felt it possible to brazen this out); and then actually do something about it. Absolutely no need for spending a couple of days obfuscating, consulting, and deciding if this is going to be a big thing or not.

From a political point though, she's already got a minority, she needs every single MP. You'd hope principle could win out, but she's most likely going to wait to see if the sacking/resigning becomes inevitable. If Labour get a big enough scandal of their own this may well get forgotten.

Just now, Maltaran said:

Given past behaviour, what are the odds it’s Boris?

Considering there are 36 current Tory MP's his chance has to be on the high side.  But I though Boris was unsackable.  (as being sacked he can blame any Brexit result on others and walk in and win the leadership)

2 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Considering there are 36 current Tory MP's his chance has to be on the high side.  But I though Boris was unsackable.  (as being sacked he can blame any Brexit result on others and walk in and win the leadership)

Depends on the reason he’s sacked, though.

8 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

From a political point though, she's already got a minority, she needs every single MP. You'd hope principle could win out, but she's most likely going to wait to see if the sacking/resigning becomes inevitable. If Labour get a big enough scandal of their own this may well get forgotten.

Even if she considers protecting her minority more important than the principle of protecting women from harassment she could at least fire Garnier as a minister or even withdraw the party whip from him without endangering her minority (he's probably unlikely to start voting against the government), so those would be the least she could do.

17 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Even if she considers protecting her minority more important than the principle of protecting women from harassment she could at least fire Garnier as a minister or even withdraw the party whip from him without endangering her minority (he's probably unlikely to start voting against the government), so those would be the least she could do.

You assume that there are not, say, half a dozen male Tory MPs who are of the same mind as Mr Garnier and think that this is a fuss over nothing and shouldn't cost a decent bloke his job, etc.

Archived