The Best commander in ASOIAF

UFT

`gregor i wouldnt count as an actual commander of troops. it looks like he avoided actually fighting anyone until he ambushed dondarrion's men. mostly he pulled an iron born tactic by going after all the small folk villages.

i would say the top commanders living by the WO5K would be tywin, though how much of his success in the war of ninepenny kings came from using his wealth to afford well equipped troops and gifted sellswords? brynden tully, randall tarly, stannis baratheon.

it looks like robb could have one day been considered one of the great captains, to use a term from the wheel of time, of his day, given his military successes, but he was still inexperienced. i say he had the talent for war, and would have been very gifted, if he had lived.

maybe barristan selmy? and oberyn martell?

4 hours ago, UFT said:

who is the best in small groups/hit and run tactics? i imagine euron could be up there. all he did for decades was be a badass pirate raiding people

Would not class pirates as small group/hot and run.  Sure they raid then run but that is the nature of the iron born.

Gregor has been in his fair share of battles how much of is down to command or simply him being a human wrecking ball where troops follow in his wake.

I would say Mance and for shear experience one of the mountain clans Timett

Stannis

Robb would definitely get an honorable mention, his riverlands campaign had a very Robert E. Lee feel before he got screwed. 

Victarion has only lost to Stannis as far as we know. 

Tywin definitely isn't bad even though Robb makes a fool of him at first. 

Harry Strickland has to have at least some talent to be elected leader of the Golden Company right? Even if he was the paymaster. 

7 minutes ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

Robert, Stannis, Robb. In that order.

Why Robert? I was always led to believe Jon Arryn was the architect of the rebellion. And Stannis did most of the hard work against the Greyjoy Rebellion. 

There are multiple examples of other characters aknowledging robert as an out standing commander

just a few...

Robert would have done it in ten,” Asha heard Lord Fell boasting. His grandsire had been slain by Robert at Summerhall; somehow this had elevated his slayer to godlike prowess in the grandson’s eyes. “Robert would have been inside Winterfell a fortnight ago, thumbing his nose at Bolton from the battlements.

"We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right.” Stannis rose to his feet. “I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

5 hours ago, Valyrian Spoon said:

Stannis - Smashed the ironborn fllet, Beat a massive wildling army.

Randyll Tarly - Inflicted the only defeat on Robert Baratheon during the rebellion even if it wasn't decisive.

Stannis also made a  bungle of the Battle of the Blackwater, then got his army mired in the snow to starve and freeze.

Well, Robert does have the best record, so by empiric evidence he should be the best. He only lost one battle where he was unexperienced and outnumbered but basically crushed everyone from that point on.

I´d say Robert, Stannis and Randyll in that order. Robb died too young to be compared fairly, he had a hot streak and every streak ends eventually.

2 hours ago, Ser Tristan Flowers said:

Well, Robert does have the best record, so by empiric evidence he should be the best. He only lost one battle where he was unexperienced and outnumbered but basically crushed everyone from that point on.

I´d say Robert, Stannis and Randyll in that order. Robb died too young to be compared fairly, he had a hot streak and every streak ends eventually.

At least he managed to get himself out of Ashford... something that for example, Jaime Lannister could not do with Robb

As far as asoiaf is concerned Robb stark is hands down the best military commander. He never lost a battle for one. He may not have been a good player in the political theory part of the game but he is easily the best general. 

His men/lords/people loved him. He won over the loyalty of not only jus own people but when the river lords swore fealty he did something no other stark king had done before. But the biggest part is undefeated in the field. Some people will give the credit to his captains or maybe even the decisions of the opposing but that's part of being a good general. You have to listen to your captains that's why they are your captains and you have to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses. 

After Robb I would say it's a tie between Tywin and stannis. They both won battles and are extremely effective in the field. They both run the army very well and organized too. Jon connington has accomplished a lot and seems the be a clever and effective commander. Randyll Tarly has a very solid reputation. Jaime won one battle in GOT but also blundered and was captured, and got his army massacred. After them I would say jon snow but before I give him any serious credit let's see what he does with a real army on a real battlefield. He led The battle for the wall extremely well especially considering the resources but that aside he had a 700 foot wall to stand on top of.

1 hour ago, LordScattergood10 said:

As far as asoiaf is concerned Robb stark is hands down the best military commander. He never lost a battle for one. He may not have been a good player in the political theory part of the game but he is easily the best general. 

His men/lords/people loved him. He won over the loyalty of not only jus own people but when the river lords swore fealty he did something no other stark king had done before. But the biggest part is undefeated in the field. Some people will give the credit to his captains or maybe even the decisions of the opposing but that's part of being a good general. You have to listen to your captains that's why they are your captains and you have to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses. 

Robb only shined so bright because he died young. Yes, he never lost a battle but he would have eventually, because everyone does. It´s hard for me to put him in the same categorie of men that have been doing it successfully for decades. 

1 hour ago, LordScattergood10 said:

After Robb I would say it's a tie between Tywin and stannis. They both won battles and are extremely effective in the field. They both run the army very well and organized too. Jon connington has accomplished a lot and seems the be a clever and effective commander. Randyll Tarly has a very solid reputation. Jaime won one battle in GOT but also blundered and was captured, and got his army massacred. After them I would say jon snow but before I give him any serious credit let's see what he does with a real army on a real battlefield. He led The battle for the wall extremely well especially considering the resources but that aside he had a 700 foot wall to stand on top of.

Tywin? Seriously? You just praised Robb into the skies and put the exact same guy that was humiliated by him, time and time again, on number two?

Honestly, Tywin must be the most overrated commander ever. He´s calculating, picks easy battles, takes all the credit he can get and his record is still kind of rubbish. He may be brilliant as a politician, steward, statesman, whatever you want... but commander? Just no.

Archived