The Best commander in ASOIAF

UFT

3 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Who would come before Stannis in your book?

Dunno.

But I think Stannis is going to win a battle outside of Winterfell, against the Freys, and then develop a ruse to get into Winterfell itself and wipe out the rest of the Boltons. GrrM has done a lot of setup for this.

So he'll look pretty good after that.  

8 hours ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

At the battle of the blackwater kings landing had 7000+ troops that is a very large garrison against stannis 20,000 and they have walls and water surrounding them and they had hundreds of scorpions, catapults, trebuchets and wildfire and a 

He still had Bronn’s hirelings, near eight hundred of them now, but sellswords were notoriously fickle. Tyrion had done what he could to buy their continued loyalty, promising Bronn and a dozen of his best men lands and knighthoods when the battle was won. They’d drunk his wine, laughed at his jests, and called each other ser until they were all staggering … all but Bronn himself, who’d only smiled that insolent dark smile of his and afterwards said, “They’ll kill for that knighthood, but don’t ever think they’ll die for it.”

"The gold cloaks were almost as uncertain a weapon. Six thousand men in the City Watch, thanks to Cersei, but only a quarter of them could be relied upon. “There’s few out-and-out traitors, though there’s some, even your spider hasn’t found them all,” Bywater had warned him. “But there’s hundreds greener than spring grass, men who joined for bread and ale and safety. No man likes to look craven in the sight of his fellows, so they’ll fight brave enough at the start, when it’s all warhorns and blowing banners. But if the battle looks to be going sour they’ll break, and they’ll break bad. The first man to throw down his spear and run will have a thousand more treading on his heels.”

To be sure, there were seasoned men in the City Watch, the core of two thousand who’d gotten their gold cloaks from Robert, not Cersei. Yet even those … a watchman was not truly a soldier, Lord Tywin Lannister had been fond of saying. Of knights and squires and men-at-arms, Tyrion had no more than three hundred. Soon enough, he must test the truth of another of his father’s sayings: that one man on a wall was worth ten beneath it.

So 2000 gold cloaks, 800 fickle sell swords, a few knights and levyes and worse still out and out traitors.

As for the large fleet Stannis superior fleet effectively smashed the Lannister 1 with his first 2 rows.

So agian wildfire was the only trick up KL sleeve 

There is no such person as the "best battle commander."  Robert lost to Randyll but it doesn't mean Tarly is better.  Resources matter and whoever gets to high ground matters.  Stannis got his ass handed to him by an inexperienced Tyrion. 

I would pick Barristan among the current field commanders. 

Spoiler

That speech that Selmy gave in TWOW preview chapter was beautiful.  Just the sort of thing that his young and inexperienced troops needed to hear.  Selmy knows how to inspire people.  Riding Dany's silver horse to battle to rally the troops was smart.

On 7/21/2017 at 7:59 PM, Ser Tristan Flowers said:

To be fair I see Robert just one notch ahead of Stannis. Stannis might be a little more clever but then again, maybe not. Robert has all the leadership skills that Stannis lacks  and he never really failed, either.

ones a warlord, the other is a general. think of it like that. the warlord lead, the general commands.

19 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

There is no such person as the "best battle commander."  Robert lost to Randyll but it doesn't mean Tarly is better.  Resources matter and whoever gets to high ground matters.  Stannis got his ass handed to him by an inexperienced Tyrion. 

I would pick Barristan among the current field commanders. 

Hide contents

That speech that Selmy gave in TWOW preview chapter was beautiful.  Just the sort of thing that his young and inexperienced troops needed to hear.  Selmy knows how to inspire people.  Riding Dany's silver horse to battle to rally the troops was smart.

He'd really fuck up if the horse dies, though. 

I agree with you, personally I always assumed that Robert retreated after the battle with Randyll because he knew the rest of the Tyrell army would be underway and able to crush him with their sheer numbers. His army was still intact, after all, which makes it seem more likely that the retreat was planned. 

Considering hit and run tactics I´d like to put forth Oberyn Martell.

He´s as clever, shifty and experienced as they come, he has a big name to boot while being a great warrior himself. The Dornish are notorious for guerilla warfare and Oberyn should know all about it, being kind of a scholar and all, he would also be a prime candidate for covert operations and gathering intel information. He had his own sellsword company is Essos, and while we never hear many details about it, he should be perfectly fit to lead.

• 2 weeks later...

Stannis for sheer variety of wins and experience 

Tywins gotta be in there ....carried out the war vs multiple opponents  very well all while employing political mastery to end it.

Robbs clearly an excellent commander too pity politicaly he was far too honourable

Robert i feel is more of a figurehead and frontline tank ...an inspiration to the guys but its prob ned and stannis that were the reall commanders of the rebellion

Randyll is the most (or second-most) overrated general in asoiaf. He has two victories under his belt, one of which was won with the whole Tyrell army at his back, and it wasn't even decisive (Summerhall ended with Robert retreating without a problem), and the other only happened because Roose Bolton was sabotaging Robb's war effort, and if I remember correctly he had superior numbers there. Don't get me wrong, he's still competent, probably top ten, maybe even top 5 material, but nothing we saw him do suggest he's a contender for the number 1 spot.

6 hours ago, John Doe said:

Randyll is the most (or second-most) overrated general in asoiaf. He has two victories under his belt, one of which was won with the whole Tyrell army at his back, and it wasn't even decisive (Summerhall ended with Robert retreating without a problem), and the other only happened because Roose Bolton was sabotaging Robb's war effort, and if I remember correctly he had superior numbers there. Don't get me wrong, he's still competent, probably top ten, maybe even top 5 material, but nothing we saw him do suggest he's a contender for the number 1 spot.

My ASOIAF knowledge has unfortunately declined over the time I've not been active in this community, but as I recall there were significant casualties on both sides, despite Randyll presumably having a large numerical advantage and a complete lack of cavalry. Props to Glover for putting up a good fight and managing to retreat. Of course Randyll knew that Gregor's forces were nearby to pick up the fight, but still seems sloppy for him to allow the northmen to escape.

6 hours ago, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

My ASOIAF knowledge has unfortunately declined over the time I've not been active in this community, but as I recall there were significant casualties on both sides, despite Randyll presumably having a large numerical advantage and a complete lack of cavalry. Props to Glover for putting up a good fight and managing to retreat. Of course Randyll knew that Gregor's forces were nearby to pick up the fight, but still seems sloppy for him to allow the northmen to escape.

I think you're right.

Of all the living characters, Stannis, although Robert appears to have been his equal (Barristan says as much). This actually makes a lot of sense, since the Stormlands are known for their martial prowess. What's odd, however, is that Stannis still managed to be so unpopular despite being such an esteemed commander. One would think that even a man as rigid as Stannis would still garner more reverence for his military accomplishments.

Robb seems to have had a natural aptitude for commanding. He died as a very good commander, and had he lived, he could have grown to be a terrific one.

Randyll Tarly and Victarion Greyjoy both seem to be sufficient commanders as well. 

11 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Of all the living characters, Stannis, although Robert appears to have been his equal (Barristan says as much). This actually makes a lot of sense, since the Stormlands are known for their martial prowess. What's odd, however, is that Stannis still managed to be so unpopular despite being such an esteemed commander. One would think that even a man as rigid as Stannis would still garner more reverence for his military accomplishments.

Yeah this is strange. And GRRM adds to it by Robert giving Storm's End to Renly, which is far better positioned and fruitful than Dragonstone by all means so Stannis initially has barely 5,000 men when he besieged Renly's camps.

59 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

What's odd, however, is that Stannis still managed to be so unpopular despite being such an esteemed commander. One would think that even a man as rigid as Stannis would still garner more reverence for his military accomplishments.

Well, he is still well respected. But I guess no one's going to sing songs about someone they find so intensely unlikable.

14 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

People do respect his military ability, they just (generally) don't like him, personally, very much. Ned and Robert agree he'd be a good choice for Warden of the East, even though Robert was too whipped to not give it to Jaime. Tywin thought Stannis was a greater threat than all his other enemies combined, despite his minimal resources. Stannis' men believe he'll lead them to victory even as they're marching through a blizzard, running out of food and approaching an enemy castle that houses an army which outnumbers them. etc.

Archived