The Best commander in ASOIAF

UFT

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Ramsay only fought one battle and he also won five to one

"Ser Rodrik had you five-to-one."

"Aye, but he thought us friends. A common mistake. When the old fool gave me his hand, I took half his arm instead. Then I let him see my face." 

You're trying hard. Robert won battles. Plural. And there is no evidence that he did it through treachery.

43 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

You're trying hard. Robert won battles. Plural.

Gotta go hard. Howany battles did Robert win? I can think of 3. The one where Jon Arryn killed his lords, which doesn't really sound hard, smallfolk vs knights of Vale. The one where Robert beat like three or four armies in a row. Which makes me think Robert was fighting one army and the reinforcements had to march quickly to join the battle and by the time they arrived Roberts men had morale up the ass, and just repeat that a few times. Sounds cool, but also not that difficult. And the Trident, where it came down to the hammer.  

43 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

And there is no evidence that he did it through treachery.

Treachery is good though. Treachery worked when Robb defeated Jaime and later his uncle. It worked in Merren Yunakai and Aspator. Even Stannis uses it, sending the nightswatch before his southron knights at the wall. 

11 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Gotta go hard. Howany battles did Robert win? I can think of 3. The one where Jon Arryn killed his lords, which doesn't really sound hard, smallfolk vs knights of Vale. The one where Robert beat like three or four armies in a row. Which makes me think Robert was fighting one army and the reinforcements had to march quickly to join the battle and by the time they arrived Roberts men had morale up the ass, and just repeat that a few times. Sounds cool, but also not that difficult. And the Trident, where it came down to the hammer.  

The ones we know of aren't necessarily all the ones that happened. Stannis almost exclusively talks shit about Robert so for him to speak highly of Robert's battle record must mean that it's excellent. If it wasn't, he'd probably instead complain about being overlooked at yet another thing. 

2 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

The ones we know of aren't necessarily all the ones that happened.

Yea they are. Twoiaf covers Roberts Rebellion extensively. We also know Robert never commanded a battle before the rebellion and the battle of Pyke seems to be mainly Eddard and Jorah.

2 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Stannis almost exclusively talks shit about Robert so for him to speak highly of Robert's battle record must mean that it's excellent. If it wasn't, he'd probably instead complain about being overlooked at yet another thing. 

Brothers like to compare themselves. Tyrion and Jaime do, the Starks do, Victarion, even Cat compares herself to Lysa.

Roberts rememberd as a good commander because hes the most recent king of a new regime. It'd be unpatriotic and almost treasonous to say otherwise

On 7/20/2017 at 0:35 AM, UFT said:

who is the best in small groups/hit and run tactics? i imagine euron could be up there. all he did for decades was be a badass pirate raiding people

The distinction of your question, "small groups/hit and run" tactics narrow down the field of choices.  This sneaky tactic is not the sort practiced by the knights.  This is a tactic practiced by the weaker side against the stronger side.  We should take a look at some examples from the story in order to gain a better understanding of what it is that you are asking.

1. The swamp devils harassing their enemies at the Neck.
  2. Wildlings raiding the north.
  3. The Harpy's campaign to bring back slavery.

The answer to you question:  the leader of the harpy

Stannis - Smashed the ironborn fllet, Beat a massive wildling army.

Randyll Tarly - Inflicted the only defeat on Robert Baratheon during the rebellion even if it wasn't decisive.

The Wildlings didn't have a massive army. They were mostly refugees, women and children as well as fighting men, and those were mostly badly armed. Lord Commander Mormont was willing to attack them with a force of 200 rangers. Doesn't mean that Stannis isn't a good commander. He is one. 

Archived