Wild Thought

Is the Elder Brother on the island with the 'gravedigger'  possibly Rhaegar Targaryn?

Although the story is he was a common night--since he floated down the Trident, his backstory could be false.  The description seems to match someone of some import and he does have skill at healing.

If the "Dragon has 3 heads" and right now we appear to be missing a candidate (or we aren't):

If I follow Qauith's advice and assume (and it is a big leap) that Aegon is a false dragon, then we could be in need of a third (assuming John Snow and Dany are the first 2).

It has been suggested from time to time that he might be Rhaegar - after all its a good rule of thumb in this story that unless the corpse is discovered in one corner of the room and a recognisable head in the opposite corner, then you can't guarantee that a character is dead. Even then death aint what it used to be.

All that being said, the Elder Brother doesn't strike me as someone itching to fulfill prophecies and raise his banners.

14 hours ago, madscientist596 said:

Is the Elder Brother on the island with the 'gravedigger'  possibly Rhaegar Targaryn?

According to GRRM:

[What happened to Rhaegar's body?]

Rhaegar was cremated, as is traditional for fallen Targaryens.

So if you think GRRM is honest, Rhaegar is dead and gone.

• 4 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, madscientist596 said:

Although the story is he was a common night--since he floated down the Trident, his backstory could be false.  The description seems to match someone of some import and he does have skill at healing.

If the "Dragon has 3 heads" and right now we appear to be missing a candidate (or we aren't):

If I follow Qauith's advice and assume (and it is a big leap) that Aegon is a false dragon, then we could be in need of a third (assuming John Snow and Dany are the first 2).

The EB is a powerful man with a large head, square jaw and hands that look like they are made to break bones, not heal them. Targaryens genuinely exhibit fine features and sharp, angular faces, even into old age. So I think that rules out the EB as Rhaegar.

If anything, the EB is similar to Marwyn the Mage, who is also described as powerful with a strong jaw and large hands.

And I recall that someone drew some parallels between the EB, Marwyn and Nestor Royce, maybe the fact that they are all barrel-chested or something. So I suppose it's possible that all three are Royces. But a Targaryen? No, he doesn't have the look.

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

The EB is a powerful man with a large head, square jaw and hands that look like they are made to break bones, not heal them. Targaryens genuinely exhibit fine features and sharp, angular faces, even into old age. So I think that rules out the EB as Rhaegar.

If anything, the EB is similar to Marwyn the Mage, who is also described as powerful with a strong jaw and large hands.

And I recall that someone drew some parallels between the EB, Marwyn and Nestor Royce, maybe the fact that they are all barrel-chested or something. So I suppose it's possible that all three are Royces. But a Targaryen? No, he doesn't have the look.

We don't really have a description of Rhaegar, but not all targs were like that.

A couple of quotes from an SSM (http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Targaryen_Kings/):

AEGON I. Aegon the Conquerer. The prototypical Targaryen. A warrior, tall, powerful, broad shouldered

MAEGOR I. Maegor the Cruel. Another warrior. A big man, even taller than his father Aegon, bull-like, heavy shoulders, thick neck, huge arms. On the heavy side, but more massive and square than fat. Nothing soft about him. Short hair, short beard that follows the jawline. Angry, suspicious eyes, scowling mouth. Just looking at him, you know this man is hard and brutal. No wine cup here; it's the sword again.

(to clarify, I don't think EB is Rhaegar)

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, Tucu said:

We don't really have a description of Rhaegar, but not all targs were like that.

A couple of quotes from an SSM (http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Targaryen_Kings/):

(to clarify, I don't think EB is Rhaegar)

True about Aegon and Maegor, but we should note that none of Maegor's children survived long enough, if at all, to continue the Targaryen line, while Aenys I was thin and sickly, having barely survived childhood, and was rumored to have been fathered by one of Rhaenys' singers. So it is entirely possible that none of the Targ kings after Maegor were direct descendants of Aegon I.

If you look at the subsequent kings, none is described as strong or powerful until Maekor, although to be fair, some Targaryens who did not become king were said to be powerful men; Baelor Breakspear comes to mind, as does Daemon Blackfyre.

I think the best we have for Rhaegar himself is that he had long, elegant fingers and that he was a "beautiful" man, which is in pretty stark contrast to the elder brother.

Archived