Ozark (Netflix)

AncalagonTheBlack

12 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I don't think anyone would suggest otherwise. Justified is in my top 10 as well, like I said, Ozark is nowhere near that quality I just saw where the comparison was coming from.

Totally agreed.  I love Justified.  I can see where the comparisons come from, though.  Ozark isn't as fun or well-written or well-acted as Justified, but it has some similar themes and characters. 

18 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

So instead of letting me know I didn't spoiler tag something (in a thread full of spoilers, mind you), you report AND proceed to repost the massive spoilers without including spoiler tags. That's super bright.  :rolleyes:

As with all your posts , what you say is false. You didn't care one bit about possible spoilers and were the first to post real spoilers.

In fact, you still haven't edited your post to remove the massive spoilers , so spare us your fake concern about reposting spoilers.

19 hours ago, Calibandar said:

As with all your posts , what you say is false. You didn't care one bit about possible spoilers and were the first to post real spoilers.

In fact, you still haven't edited your post to remove the massive spoilers , so spare us your fake concern about reposting spoilers.

Yep, and it's not like the post directly after it (mine) didn't broach the subject nicely (it did) only to be completely ignored (yeah, that happened too).  At least Mormont has edited it out now.

On 8/2/2017 at 5:08 AM, Calibandar said:

You reported the post (then you stupidly quoted it without spoiler tagging it).  It disappeared, because that's often waht happens when you report posts and mods don't have time to look into it.  Then the website was down.  I'm not sure how the fuck I was supposed to change it.  

I truly don't care about posting spoilers in a thread where everyone is discussing a show.  I'm not dumb enough to read a thread if I don't want to be potentially spoilered but I also don't have a problem putting spoiler tags for those who dont have the sense to stay out of such a thread.  

By the way, you still haven't edited your post to remove the massive spoilers you claim to be so outraged about.  :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yep, and it's not like the post directly after it (mine) didn't broach the subject nicely (it did) only to be completely ignored (yeah, that happened too).  At least Mormont has edited it out now.

I'm not sure how I was supposed to know who you were talking to if you didn't quote me or address me in any way.  I don't speak whiny passive aggressive.  If you wanted me to change to a spoiler tag, you maybe shouldn't have asked the thread at large if the thread should be changed to a spoiler thread.  Everyone appears to have ignored you.  

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-asked-financial-advisers-how-realistic-is-netflixs-new-show-ozark-2017-08-02

How realistic is Netflix's show?

Noting that the Lake of the Ozarks was built when Union Electric constructed the Bagnell Dam to generate hydroelectric power in 1929-31, Dubuque said, “The lake is both a real thing and a metaphor for capitalism.”

We'll ignore the fact that this wasn't even Lake of the Ozarks we saw on screen.  It could have been any lake.

“I know money,” Bateman’s character Marty Byrde declares in episode two of “Ozark”. But does the show know money? How accurately does “Ozark” capture the life of a financial adviser?

Very accurately, according to Richard Rosso, director of financial planning at Clarity Financial, LLC. “Finance is a core premise of the show and Marty Byrde is a very practical adviser, like when he says that money is the measure of a man’s choices,” Rosso says. “Financial advisers who work with people every day will get a kick out of it.”

Although he goes on to say that it was less authentic that he was watching a video of his wife having sex with another man.  I found that to be a shorthand way of telling us about Marty's character, tbh.  

They go on to talk about what the show does to highlight issues with today's middle class, but note that Marty's laundering would have been noticed way sooner.  It doesn't hit on the laundering at the lake.  For some reason that was the most unrealistic to me.  Small tourist area having an influx of millions???  Seems really unlikely, but I also don't get how money laundering works.  Perhaps as Ruth learns more, those in the audience who are ignorant will also learn more.

8 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm not sure how I was supposed to know who you were talking to if you didn't quote me or address me in any way.  

By using one scintilla of common sense?  It was the post directly after yours, and as Calibandar said, at the time you were the only person to have posted any real spoilers.  It doesn't take a degree in Art History to be able to figure out those clues.

I don't speak whiny passive aggressive.  

Luckily my English to Bitchy Dictionary that I ordered from Amazon has arrived, so I'll try to do better at speaking your language.

If you wanted me to change to a spoiler tag, you maybe shouldn't have asked the thread at large if the thread should be changed to a spoiler thread.  Everyone appears to have ignored you.  

No shit. Which I anticipated and is why I hinted that maybe the thread should become a SPOILER thread, because once you opened the floodgates, it's hard to put the water back behind the dam.  There's that lack of common sense again.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:48 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

But it doesn't feel similar.  It does share a lot of plot elements and set dressings with Justified, but they don't feel the same at all.

ETA: After watching this, a comparison to Justified never entered my mind, and that is a top ten show for me.  Only when I came here and saw others comparing the two did I even think about it, and I still don't see it other than what feels superficial to me.

I'm 6 episodes in and it feels nothing like Justified to me either. Like, I don't see any of it. Maybe competing bad guys with some rednecks, I see that, but the dialogue isn't snappy, the characters are mostly uninteresting (Ruth is great), and maybe because it's early, but I don't see the awesome level of convergences that happens in Justified happening here. We'll see.

15 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

By using one scintilla of common sense?  It was the post directly after yours, and as Calibandar said, at the time you were the only person to have posted any real spoilers.  It doesn't take a degree in Art History to be able to figure out those clues.

Luckily my English to Bitchy Dictionary that I ordered from Amazon has arrived, so I'll try to do better at speaking your language.

No shit. Which I anticipated and is why I hinted that maybe the thread should become a SPOILER thread, because once you opened the floodgates, it's hard to put the water back behind the dam.  There's that lack of common sense again.

You didn't 'hint' that the thread should be changed, you asked if it should be changed.  And someone I was supposed to know that you secretly wanted a certain person to spoiler tag.  We definitely have a different idea of what 'real spoilers' are. I read two posts in this thread before I started watching and was spoilered.  Though I have enough common sense to only read a thread when I'm ok with receiving spoilers.  

Hopefully you start using that English to Bitch dictionary as it will probably get you better results than your whiny passive aggressive.  Maybe even teach you common sense.

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

I'm 6 episodes in and it feels nothing like Justified to me either. Like, I don't see any of it. Maybe competing bad guys with some rednecks, I see that, but the dialogue isn't snappy, the characters are mostly uninteresting (Ruth is great), and maybe because it's early, but I don't see the awesome level of convergences that happens in Justified happening here. We'll see.

But no one is saying that it was exactly like Justified, more that this show uses a similar formula to shows like Justified or Break Bad.  It's like if all the other shows are chicken noodle soup but this one is chicken soup from the sort of can where you have to add water or else it's a gelatinous blob.  There's a familiarity there, even if it's lacking the major things that made those other shows standouts.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

But no one is saying that it was exactly like Justified, more that this show uses a similar formula to shows like Justified or Break Bad.  It's like if all the other shows are chicken noodle soup but this one is chicken soup from the sort of can where you have to add water or else it's a gelatinous blob.  There's a familiarity there, even if it's lacking the major things that made those other shows standouts.  

The similarities are superficial. It has none of the look or feel of Justified. At least to me.

14 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

You didn't 'hint' that the thread should be changed, you asked if it should be changed.  

Do you even know the meaning of the word hint?  Let me help you out - "a slight or indirect indication or suggestion" - had I asked for the thread to be changed I would not have been hinting, but asking if it should be changed is without a doubt an indirect suggestion.  Either you don't know simple English, or you're being intentionally obtuse. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

And someone I was supposed to know that you secretly wanted a certain person to spoiler tag. We definitely have a different idea of what 'real spoilers' are. I read two posts in this thread before I started watching and was spoilered.  Though I have enough common sense to only read a thread when I'm ok with receiving spoilers.  

My dictionary can't help me with this abomination of a sentence.  I have no idea who this someone you're supposed to know to whom you are referring would be.  An intelligent person could easily connect the dots between the need for people to go back and tag their post mentioning specific character deaths, when they were they only certain person that mentioned specific character deaths.  

That's great that you have enough common sense to read a thread when okay being spoiled (but not enough to connect two very obvious dots, good to know what your level is).  Too bad you don't have enough common decency to avoid posting spoilers in a non-spoiler thread whether you think others have posted spoilers already or not.  But with your posting history on this board I certainly wouldn't expect you to have any kind of decency; you definitely live up to your avatar.  You have finally convinced me to place you on ignore, so thank you for that.

On 03/08/2017 at 10:41 PM, Mexal said:

People are seriously comparing this to Justified?, Ozark is watchable enough but nowhere near as good as Justified, Marty is so dull and boring when compared to Raylan or Boyd, actually scratch that, he's dull and boring when compared to Dewey Crowe!, Ruth and the gay FBI Agent are the most interesting characters so far, Charlotte seems to be competing with Kim Bauer and Walter Whites son for the most irritating offspring of a main character award.

The way this board has generally handled Netflix shows is we discuss spoilers in spoiler brackets. This allows people to get a general understanding of whether they want to watch the show or not without being spoiled. We also generally label our spoiler tags with the number of episodes we have seen so people can feel free to discuss the episodes they have already watched. 

I do not understand why this show should be any different to any other Netflix show. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ozark renewed for a second season 

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/ozark-renewed-season-2-netflix-1202527992/

On 8/6/2017 at 8:51 AM, Howdyphillip said:

The way this board has generally handled Netflix shows is we discuss spoilers in spoiler brackets. This allows people to get a general understanding of whether they want to watch the show or not without being spoiled. We also generally label our spoiler tags with the number of episodes we have seen so people can feel free to discuss the episodes they have already watched. 

I do not understand why this show should be any different to any other Netflix show. 

Some threads might request no spoilers without tags, some do not.  Most decent folks just say "hey, can you tag that spoiler" and then move on.  I am also unclear why this show would be any different other than the fact that certain posters aren't very bright.  

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Some threads might request no spoilers without tags, some do not.  Most decent folks just say "hey, can you tag that spoiler" and then move on.  I am also unclear why this show would be any different other than the fact that certain posters aren't very bright.  

I think you missed the conversation here. Since Netflix started putting out content, we have been handling spoilers the exact same way. The board policy is also clear to not spoil in a thread unless a thread is titled spoilers. I should not have to ask you politely to follow board policy. The onus is on you to understand what it is before you post.  The good news is that now, you know, and can avoid spoiling people who do not want to be spoiled in the future.

On 03/08/2017 at 10:11 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-asked-financial-advisers-how-realistic-is-netflixs-new-show-ozark-2017-08-02

How realistic is Netflix's show?

We'll ignore the fact that this wasn't even Lake of the Ozarks we saw on screen.  It could have been any lake.

Although he goes on to say that it was less authentic that he was watching a video of his wife having sex with another man.  I found that to be a shorthand way of telling us about Marty's character, tbh.  

They go on to talk about what the show does to highlight issues with today's middle class, but note that Marty's laundering would have been noticed way sooner.  It doesn't hit on the laundering at the lake.  For some reason that was the most unrealistic to me.  Small tourist area having an influx of millions???  Seems really unlikely, but I also don't get how money laundering works.  Perhaps as Ruth learns more, those in the audience who are ignorant will also learn more.

One of them says Marty's laundering would be noticed way sooner, but

IT WAS. His partner was collaborating with the FBI for a while. They just didn't have enough to get to Del.

12 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

3 different people have told you you're wrong to post massive spoilers and that you're offensive.

Apologize and bow out of this discussion. You lost. 

Bye.

• 10 months later...

Season 2 returns August 31.

Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqS_nsAU5KY

In the anticipated second season, the Byrde family continues to navigate the troubled money-laundering and drug cartel waters. With Del (Esai Morales) out, the crime syndicate sends its ruthless attorney Helen Pierce (McTeer) to town to shake things up just as the Byrdes finally are settling in. Marty and Wendy struggle to balance their family interests amid the escalating dangers presented by their partnerships with the power-hungry Snells, the cartel and their new deputy, Ruth Langmore (Garner), whose father Cade (Trevor Long) has been released from prison. The stakes are even higher than before — and the Byrdes soon realize they have to go all in before they can get out.

Archived