Jump to content
Lord Varys

FIRE AND BLOOD Volume 1

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, zionius said:

George ruled out pre-Conquest Targaryens in F&B.

Well, this sort of limits what the new material is likely going to be about. And who wouldn't want to read a lot of pages about the Father and the Mother of the Country?

55 years are a pretty long time, and the average Augustus biography is usually much longer than the average Caligula biography.

It would have been rather odd if we had just gotten a couple of pages on the greatest rulers Westeros ever had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Not to butt in to your convo with others, but this may be the “winter armies” in reference...

 

Cause, you know, there has to be a reason Northmen will follow Stannis south. :leaving:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmm......Well what did he mean by "not that much" about pre-Conquest Targaryens?  That's kind of vague.  I mean, frankly, two full pages instead of the two paragraphs we have now might be nice.

On the other hand, Elio himself speculated on pre-Conquest Targaryens in his Fire & Blood video a few months back...

 

dang it, he said that on May the 4th....AFTER I had finished recording the audio of my analysis video, but BEFORE I had finished editing and publishing it.  Crud.  

Which begs the question....if there isn't really a full chapter on the pre-Conquest Targaryens....how the hell did an 160,000 word draft in 2014 get stretched into 640 pages NOW?!


EDIT:  The questioner on his blog actually asked "are we going to learn anything about the Targaryens prior to the Doom of Valyria", to which he responded "there won't be much on pre-Conquest Targaryens".

In context, I still think it possible he mistyped, and meant "not much on pre-DOOM Targaryens", not necessarily ruling out pre-CONQUEST Targaryens.

Edited by The Dragon Demands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ran

Is it true that you have seen the final manuscript of Fire & Blood, for proofreading?  Which is why you can't weigh in on this?

....minor question I gotta know, not an outright answer but just "yes" or "no" response:  does Fire & Blood finally reveal what color Vhagar was? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We already got one or two pages on pre-Conquest Targaryens in TWOIAF, F&B will contain them, but almost nothing more. I don't think GRRM would reply with a "no" if he's written more pages on them.

"Pre-Conquest" don't look like a typo, as "Conquest" was not mentioned by the questioner. The questioner asked of Aenar & Dany the Dreamer, who lived both pre-Doom and after-Doom, so George changed it to pre-Conquest, covering two periods in one word. 

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

dang it, he said that on May the 4th....

He said it once on YouTube channel last year. But where's the latest May 4 quote?

Edited by zionius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:54 AM, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

I don't think he is stuck . He has lost interest in ASOIAF .

Considering this tome, he is definitely not uninterested in ASOIAF as concept. It´s the plot itself he struggles with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If GRRM really didn't write anything new about Dragonstone and Valyria then those 70K extra words must be expansion of existing material and the new chapter on Jaehaerys I, which is still exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 5:33 AM, The Dragon Demands said:

EDIT:  The questioner on his blog actually asked "are we going to learn anything about the Targaryens prior to the Doom of Valyria", to which he responded "there won't be much on pre-Conquest Targaryens".

In context, I still think it possible he mistyped, and meant "not much on pre-DOOM Targaryens", not necessarily ruling out pre-CONQUEST Targaryens.

The questioner does not ask only about pre-Doom Targaryens. She asks about "Targaryens prior to the Doom" and "Aenys the Exile and Daenys the Dreamer". By responding with "pre-Conquest Targaryens", GRRM refers to both groups of Targaryens she asks about.

I think that, based on GRRM's answer, at most some pre-Conquest Targaryens might be mentioned in passing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I think that, based on GRRM's answer, at most some pre-Conquest Targaryens might be mentioned in passing.

I really wonder how much of the new material is about Jaehaerys I and how much of it is simply expansion of TSOTD, TRP, TPATQ, etc.

Personally, I would love to see GRRM elaborate on society (law, finance, infrastructure, culture) in the section on Jaehaerys I.

Smallfolk rights in particular might be of interest. Especially if we consider the future of D & E...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Personally, I would love to see GRRM elaborate on society (law, finance, infrastructure, culture) in the section on Jaehaerys I.

Considering that Jaehaerys I greatly changed the framework of the Realm it is not unlikely that you'll get what you want here - or at least parts of what you want. The unknown material on the reign of the Conqueror might contain some similar stuff. The Conquest was a pretty big change for the Seven Kingdom and its peoples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Considering that Jaehaerys I greatly changed the framework of the Realm it is not unlikely that you'll get what you want here - or at least parts of what you want. The unknown material on the reign of the Conqueror might contain some similar stuff. The Conquest was a pretty big change for the Seven Kingdom and its peoples.

In that case I'd better finish my TWOIAF fanfic project asap.

Tbh what I want most rn is a table of contents. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Personally, I would love to see GRRM elaborate on society (law, finance, infrastructure, culture) in the section on Jaehaerys I. 

Oh yeah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Oh yeah

I actually fill that in on my blog if you want to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

like what?

The development of urban settlements, religious schisms/syncretism, inter-kingdom relationships, differences in dialect, historiographic gaps, in-setting explanations for any and all contradictions/inaccuracies/implausibilities, etc.

The framing device is that in 298 AC Archmaester Walgrave stumbled upon a hidden room in the Citadel containing long-lost books on pre-Targaryen Westeros. Maester Yandel then sends Grand Maester Pycelle his notes on that in the form of letters.

The blog is called Hidden History of Westeros.

So far I have expanded the Stormlands, Westerlands, Vale, Crownlands, Riverlands, and North.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:07 AM, The Grey Wolf said:

The development of urban settlements, religious schisms/syncretism, inter-kingdom relationships, differences in dialect, historiographic gaps, in-setting explanations for any and all contradictions/inaccuracies/implausibilities, etc.

The framing device is that in 298 AC Archmaester Walgrave stumbled upon a hidden room in the Citadel containing long-lost books on pre-Targaryen Westeros. Maester Yandel then sends Grand Maester Pycelle his notes on that in the form of letters.

The blog is called Hidden History of Westeros.

So far I have expanded the Stormlands, Westerlands, Vale, Crownlands, Riverlands, and North.

 

….(long pause)

I love everything about this post.

Well, they don't need to be "hidden" history books - just that Yandel didn't have time to cover them beyond a short gloss.

Edited by The Dragon Demands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

….(long pause)

I love everything about this post.

Thanks for the kind words!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×