Costume designers dropped the ball

Nezi0

I mean, why is everyone in BLACK!? It looks like the whole continent ran out of color dye

Cersei's wearing black (should be crimson)

Dany's in black  (could be anything from purple to whatever)

Jamie's in black (should be white or gold)

The Mountain is Black (should be white)

Unsullied are in black (really?? black armor in that heat??, should be bronze)

Euron is wearing black 

Jon is black (he's supposed to be) 

Tyrion is wearing black (why??)

Littlefinger is wearing black 

myriad of smaller roles are wearing black

C'mon! that's just too much. Might as well be a black and white show. Yeah... i know, there are supposed to have subtle non black part in the costumes, like Dany's reddish scales but they're so small it's barely visible. 

The costumes were fine, in my opinion.  Winter is here and gone are the soft colors worn by the likes of Margery Tyrell and Myrcella Baratheon.  It's time for war.  I want to see Dany wearing armor and helmet.  The unsullied need a light metal breastplate. 

10 hours ago, Nezi0 said:

I mean, why is everyone in BLACK!? It looks like the whole continent ran out of color dye

Cersei's wearing black (should be crimson)  It's okay for her to be in black, mourning for all her dead kids I guess, but it should at least be black/crimon like what Joff did.  Her dress is horrific in any color though.

Dany's in black  (could be anything from purple to whatever)  Agree, this is stupid, she's been in light colors the entire show, and now she's in black, and also hideously ugly costumes.

Jamie's in black (should be white or gold) I could go w/black here.

The Mountain is Black (should be white)

Unsullied are in black (really?? black armor in that heat??, should be bronze)

Euron is wearing black/Black for him is okay, I didn't even mind how anachronistic the costume was because it was such an improvement over the potato sack look from last year.

Jon is black (he's supposed to be) 

Tyrion is wearing black (why??)  All Dany's peeps are in black now, and all the costumes are ugly.

Littlefinger is wearing black 

myriad of smaller roles are wearing black

**LOL you forgot Sansa and Arya are also in black now, instead of grey....

C'mon! that's just too much. Might as well be a black and white show. Yeah... i know, there are supposed to have subtle non black part in the costumes, like Dany's reddish scales but they're so small it's barely visible. 

"/Black for him is okay, I didn't even mind how anachronistic the costume was because it was such an improvement over the potato sack look from last year. "

This was my nitpick for Euron - he looked like he just walked on to the set and they said "Meh, that's fine, he's a pirate."  I wasn't looking for Captain Barbossa but he just looked...bleh.

I think it's just to convey the tone of the season. Winter is here. Cersei should be in black because she's supposed to be in mourning over her last child dying (although she doesn't seem to give a shit because he "betrayed" her). Olenna is in black because of her mourning. Jaime isn't in the Kingsguard anymore so he doesn't need to wear the white and gold colors anymore, and he's pretty depressed looking to me (all his family are dead as well save for Mad Queen Cersei). Dany's family colors are black and red so her outfit is appropriate since it's the first time we see her wearing them and the first time she's been back home. As for everyone in the North, they know it's winter and shit is hitting the fan. Plus, the North is known to be a grim place so black is normal.

I agree with you that is seems washed out, but I know the GOT crew take everything into account (especially costume). I read an article just dedicated to the different animals that were displayed in Sansa's costume through the character's progression (dragonflys, hummingbirds, etc.) and what they meant.  So, it's definitely for a reason.

Well said fire&blood.

It's an old and well tried formula in film and television to tone down the costumes as things get more serious.  I agree, there is too much black but I understand where the designers are coming from and I'm actually glad they didn't reproduce the costumes as they were described in the books because a lot of GRRM's descriptions of the clothing his characters wore, were on the ridiculous side.

I just assumed it was because the majority of the great houses are dead so who's buying the stuff that's being traded? Silks and stuff seem only to fit a certain class.With war in full swing it makes sense no one is really trading with Westerosmuch.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:31 AM, storm.131 said:

Well said fire&blood.

It's an old and well tried formula in film and television to tone down the costumes as things get more serious.  I agree, there is too much black but I understand where the designers are coming from and I'm actually glad they didn't reproduce the costumes as they were described in the books because a lot of GRRM's descriptions of the clothing his characters wore, were on the ridiculous side.

Thanks! :)

And I agree...especially about Daario, I wouldn't take him too seriously or consider him a great fighter if he looked like the book version. I can't even seen show Dany wanting to bang him lol

8 hours ago, fire&blood said:

Thanks! :)

And I agree...especially about Daario, I wouldn't take him too seriously or consider him a great fighter if he looked like the book version. I can't even seen show Dany wanting to bang him lol

LOL yup.

Where I do think the costume designers dropped the ball is Cersei's crown (which is really just a tiara).  It's way too modest for her character and it doesn't make sense that as a Lannister she isn't wearing a gold crown.  I've read what the costume designer said to explain why it isn't gold, but her reasons aren't logical to me.

I also don't think there was a need to give the KIngsguard/Queensquard a makeover.  Given her financial problems, why spend money on new uniforms and armour?  The new look is kind of silly especially the helmets.

9 hours ago, storm.131 said:

LOL yup.

Where I do think the costume designers dropped the ball is Cersei's crown (which is really just a tiara).  It's way too modest for her character and it doesn't make sense that as a Lannister she isn't wearing a gold crown.  I've read what the costume designer said to explain why it isn't gold, but her reasons aren't logical to me.

I also don't think there was a need to give the KIngsguard/Queensquard a makeover.  Given her financial problems, why spend money on new uniforms and armour?  The new look is kind of silly especially the helmets.

Interesting...what was the reason it isn't gold? She's been dying to be in power all this time and considering how 'show-offie' the Lannisters are, I'd expect it to be very much an in your face crown.

On 02/09/2017 at 0:33 AM, fire&blood said:

Interesting...what was the reason it isn't gold? She's been dying to be in power all this time and considering how 'show-offie' the Lannisters are, I'd expect it to be very much an in your face crown.

That's exactly what I thought:  they are show offs and gold is one of their house colours.

This is what the designer said:

I chose to make it in silver with just wisps of gold to try to show her isolation, her mental disentangling from her family.

Personally, I don't think the design communicates what she was trying to say at all.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:26 PM, storm.131 said:

That's exactly what I thought:  they are show offs and gold is one of their house colours.

This is what the designer said:

I chose to make it in silver with just wisps of gold to try to show her isolation, her mental disentangling from her family.

Personally, I don't think the design communicates what she was trying to say at all.

Yeah, I'm not getting that at all either. I don't think I noticed wisps of gold. Thanks for that quote though - it's always interesting to see what the show makers and crew intended to convey. :) 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, storm.131 said:

On a positive note, I have really liked Sansa and Dany's costumes in season seven.  Cersei's gowns have been superb but I think they are a bit too "Disney evil queen" and I'd prefer a more subtle approach.

Dany's white gown when she took her dragons north was phenomenal. And Cersei is starting to resemble Malificent to me too... very Disney evil queen.

Archived