Valyria

On 7/23/2017 at 7:46 AM, The Ghost Beyond the Wall said:

Hello, all. I was just curious to see whether you all think the future installments of ASOIAF (Winds and Hopefully Dream, hopefully soon) will ever make clear what brought about the Doom of Valyria and maybe give us further information about other dragon lord freeholder families besides the Targaryens? I know it may sound like wishful thinking, but I just have a hunch Sam at Oldtown or maybe Maester Marwyn would reveal some more information about it that could possibly further the plot and fill in the gaps about what exactly it was. What say you all?

I think we'll learn a lot about the Citadel from Sam and Marwyn, the role they played in the creation of Harrenhal and it's anti-magic effect from Sam, and their role in the Doom from Marywn.

4 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

I think we'll learn a lot about the Citadel from Sam and Marwyn, the role they played in the creation of Harrenhal and it's anti-magic effect from Sam, and their role in the Doom from Marywn.

Yeah, this is in line with what I was thinking as well. I'd imagine any future information about Valyria would come from a scroll at Oldtown that Sam reads or Marwyn as he said he visited there. I am curious about your mentioning the Citadel in relation to Valyria. Has it been said in the text (I haven't re read the novels in a while), that the Citadel had any contact or interaction with anyone from the Freehold? Or are you referencing their aversion and distaste for magic in general? I am curious as to why magic is a link that a master can forge on his chain if it is outlawed by the Citadel. 

8 hours ago, The Ghost Beyond the Wall said:

Yeah, this is in line with what I was thinking as well. I'd imagine any future information about Valyria would come from a scroll at Oldtown that Sam reads or Marwyn as he said he visited there. I am curious about your mentioning the Citadel in relation to Valyria. Has it been said in the text (I haven't re read the novels in a while), that the Citadel had any contact or interaction with anyone from the Freehold? Or are you referencing their aversion and distaste for magic in general? I am curious as to why magic is a link that a master can forge on his chain if it is outlawed by the Citadel. 

It seems like there are two factions at the Citadel, those who want to destroy and suppress magic and those who want to harness and use magic. But it's worth noting that there are Maesters who appear to be well in line with the anti-magic agenda who have a Valyrian steel link: Luwin comes to mind.

2 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

It seems like there are two factions at the Citadel, those who want to destroy and suppress magic and those who want to harness and use magic. But it's worth noting that there are Maesters who appear to be well in line with the anti-magic agenda who have a Valyrian steel link: Luwin comes to mind.

Yes, I find Luwin's case to be quite intriguing. Why would he have earned the link if he supported the opposition to magic? I wonder if he was trying to dissuade Bran in AGOT and ACOK from thinking his "wolf dreams" were anything other than childhood fantasy because he simply didn't want anyone to believe that magic could exist anymore. It seems also that Marwyn is of the "harness and use magic" camp. Hmm, I wonder if he could provide information to Danaerys or Tyrion if he ever links up with them. I am also curious to see if he knows anything about whether Young Griff is indeed legit. 

5 hours ago, The Ghost Beyond the Wall said:

Yes, I find Luwin's case to be quite intriguing. Why would he have earned the link if he supported the opposition to magic?

That's like asking why someone who wants to fight ebola would get a degree in virology.

I wonder if he was trying to dissuade Bran in AGOT and ACOK from thinking his "wolf dreams" were anything other than childhood fantasy because he simply didn't want anyone to believe that magic could exist anymore.

Exactly. I expect that Luwin knew exactly what was happening to Bran and was actively attempting to suppress it.

It seems also that Marwyn is of the "harness and use magic" camp. Hmm, I wonder if he could provide information to Danaerys or Tyrion if he ever links up with them. I am also curious to see if he knows anything about whether Young Griff is indeed legit.

I kind of doubt that he would be involved on the Young Griff/fAegon dilemma.

3 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

That's like asking why someone who wants to fight ebola would get a degree in virology

Fair enough, my apologies I must have mis read your post. You're probably right about the Marwyn/fAegon thing, I guess I just attempted to put two and two together incorrectly. But still, I feel as though he maybe involved somehow as an advisor to Deanery's camp considering the information he could provide. Maybe Bran can use the weir wood net to access information from the past that Luwin had about magic. 

46 minutes ago, The Ghost Beyond the Wall said:

You're probably right about the Marwyn/fAegon thing, I guess I just attempted to put two and two together incorrectly. But still, I feel as though he maybe involved somehow as an advisor to Deanery's camp considering the information he could provide.

I mean, there's no reason he couldn't know something about the fAegon situation. But it would be odd: he's a character introduced with a very particular expertise, magic. As far as we know, there was no magic involved with the baby swap when and if it ever happened, so it would be strange for Marywn to know a closely guarded secret totally divorced from that subject.

2 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

I mean, there's no reason he couldn't know something about the fAegon situation. But it would be odd: he's a character introduced with a very particular expertise, magic. As far as we know, there was no magic involved with the baby swap when and if it ever happened, so it would be strange for Marywn to know a closely guarded secret totally divorced from that subject.

Fair enough, something like that probably wouldn't be of concern to him. I wonder what secrets regarding magic he could reveal to Danaerys that could be of use. Something about Asshai, perhaps? Or further information about the fall of the Valyrian Freehold is my guess. Man, I really want Winds to come out so I can see for myself. 

Archived