[Spoilers] EP702 Discussion

Ran

On 24/07/2017 at 1:00 PM, RedShirt47 said:

What is Baelish up to?

Is he trying to antagonise Jon in order to make fuel the rivalry between him and Sansa? I'm not liking Sansa just now, wondering if she is acting under the influence (even if unknowingly) of Littlefinger?

He's been trying to drive a wedge between Jon and Sansa for a little while now, this is just his latest gambit.

Boy is he going to be in for a surprise when Tyrion tells Jon, and by extension Sansa and Ayra & Brandon when they reach Winterfell, that Baelish was the man who betrayed Ned, leading to his arrest and execution.  I'm fairly sure that Sansa or Arya is going to take the opportunity to drive a wedge between Littlefinger's head and neck as a thanks.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:46 AM, dmc515 said:

Aye that's fair.  But by the same token, this is the problem that is playing out (much more deliberately and realistically) in the books.  Ramsay can't just sit in Winterfell with unsure allies.  He must prove his strength - and eradicate any threats.  Again, that's partly (although certainly not all) why Roose sends men out at the end ADWD.

Well, I understand we're both just bouncing ideas around, and that's cool, but...

...there's a reason they used to build castles.  With huge stone walls.  And monstrous drawbridges, doors, moats, battlements, and places and ways for archers to stand up on top and pick off the poor suckers down below all day and all night.

Look how effectively the Night's Watch defended the Wall against a much larger attacking force (even though it was till only a small portion of Mance's army).  If Jon and the NW had gone out and fought the wildlings and giants in the open, they would not have lasted 10 minutes.

I don't claim to be a super expert on medieval style warfare, but I know this:  If you have a choice between defending Winterfell or attacking with a force that has NO siege weapons and NO food supply for a siege, take the defense 10 out of 10 times.  And don't go out in the field, cuz you will be giving up a HUGE advantage in exchange for nothing.

All Ramsay had to do was line the battlements with archers, then mass the rest of his troops near the gate(s) to defend the relatively narrow opening, and even that assumes Wun Wun would have been able to smash it down with about 500 arrows in his body, maybe even 1,000.

Even the Knights of the Vale would have been basically useless.  Uhh..cavalry?  To attack a castle?  No.

But do you know what cavalry ARE really good for?  Annihilating infantry in the open field, which is exactly what they did to Ramsay's forces.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, Lord Godric said:

Is it really that much more expensive to use the wolves than three dragons? Or huge battles on ships? 

Oh yes indeedy. The doggies cost vastly more than the dragons because they have fur and fur is really expensive to model. You have to do each hair. 

On 7/24/2017 at 0:52 AM, teej6 said:

So it's common knowledge that Cersei blew up the Sept and how many ever thousand people with it, and her pitch to Tarly and the other Lords is that Dany is the mad king's daughter so we must band together? D&D doesn't give a shit anymore, not that it matters even if they did.

I have seen politicians make similarly idiotic pitches. See Theresa May in the UK who presided over a cabinet of waring tribes and tried to pass herself off as 'strong and stable'.

On 7/24/2017 at 9:07 AM, TheSwordofTheMorning7 said:

With the story reaching the end, it is time to start speculation on who will kill Cersei.

Maggy The Frog's prophecy states it will be a Volonqar, i believe by strangulation.

The scene in the painted table room regarding the non-gender nouns and TPTWP proph ties to this, but could be a red herring on both fronts.

Choices for Volonqar are dropping off the board but here are the finalists in my view:

1. Arya: too obvious

2. Tyrion: again too obvious

3.  Euron: could be a clever answer if he cant marry the throne he will pay the iton price for it

4. Sansa: Nope

5: The Hound: going wrong direction

6: JAIME LANNISTER.  He is the youngest twin and has killed a king for the good of the realm. A couple seasons took him over to being a good guy but he has slipped backwards to badness following myrcellas death.  This  would be impactful and surprising.  The Scorpions kills the dragons, Danys army is split to aide Jon and victory is within Cerseis reach.  Jamie sees the dark end and chokes another Monarch out for the good of the kingdom. Assumes the throne sends troops to assist with the WW invasion

OR

MORE SATISFYING

Arya dispatches Jamie, takes his identity, and Chokes her out during sexytime.  A 2 for 1

Jamie is obvious. The Hound seemed likely to be the one till this episode, he is the younger brother of the mountain. I thought maybe he kills Cersei to stop Arya doing it.

But now... Theon is heading that way. The only character who has been called little brother repeatedly.

I'm I getting sick to death of Sansa and her bitch attitude, really the only stark I wish someone would put down. Even after all these years and all she's been through she just sounds like a whiny spoiled brat. 

I was was glad to see nymeria back but thought her and Arya's reunion felt a bit awkward. 

I agree with others that the Danerys and varys conversation was weirdly timed. 

And I'm shocked it has taken someone, anyone, from the north this long to go "there's a person with dragons-dragons breath fire-fire kills wigts-maybe we should try and get dragons up here", like seriously no one thought about reaching out at all sooner or even talked about the possibility. 

Didn't care about sand snakes dying, thought the battle was ok. But the last few seconds with theon I actually liked, it surprised me and the look on alfie's face, in his eyes, was great. 

1 hour ago, nymeria_2321 said:

I'm I getting sick to death of Sansa and her bitch attitude, really the only stark I wish someone would put down. Even after all these years and all she's been through she just sounds like a whiny spoiled brat. 

I felt that Jon did exactly that, put her in her place. He pretty much proved to her that there are good people still in Westeros and he is one of the very very few. He so happens to be King in the North but he gave her the North without any hesitation. The writers were probably over dramatizing her "bratty" attitude to make it obvious to the audience. Although I hated that look she gave to LF, I am hoping it's the look of "I'm coming for you next a-hole!". 

Euron really fulfilled all expectations. I think that not a single ship in Euron's fleet was sunk during that battle.

If the outcome of this battle spoils anything from the books, I think that Euron's fleet will crush the Redwyne fleet just as same as the fleet of Yara and Theon at the start of Winds of Winter. And I also think that Aeron Damphair will jump overboard just as Theon did in the heat of the battle with the Redwynes.

Speaking of the future events in the books, Doran Martell could be killed by Euron's Ironborn. Sunspear is not far from the sea, and Doran was occupied with the Lannisters all those years, that he can't foresee his death from another one.

Why is no one talking about the magical fireballs in the battle scene? For a second I thought Dragons were figthing or that the Meereen people had come to Westeros.

I wish Arya was killed by Nymeria and the pack. She's too OP, she's got to die someway and a reunion would be too awkward.

If Euron manages to kill Lady Sandra, he will become my favorite character in the show. She is so annoying.

33 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Why is no one talking about the magical fireballs in the battle scene? For a second I thought Dragons were figthing or that the Meereen people had come to Westeros.

I wish Arya was killed by Nymeria and the pack. She's too OP, she's got to die someway and a reunion would be too awkward.

If Euron manages to kill Lady Sandra, he will become my favorite character in the show. She is so annoying.

Bah, Arya is one of the few interesting characters left. I could name several less interesting main characters who could die before her: Jon, Daenerys, Sansa, Bran.

Maisie has been fantastic this season, brilliantly displaying all the genuine emotions Arya is feeling, both obviously and more subtle ones, despite generally poorly written scenes, from killing the Freys to the interactions with the Lannisters to the reunion with Hot Pie and then the reunion with Nymeria. Maisie has been great and Arya, at least to me, still comes across as a very conflicted but intriguing character, just as she is in the books.

Edited by Gaz0680

10 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

Bah, Arya is one of the few interesting characters left. If she dies, I'd probably stop watching. Maisie has been fantastic this season, brilliantly displaying all the genuine emotions Arya is feeling, both obviously and more subtle ones, despite generally poorly written scenes, from killing the Freys to the interactions with the Lannisters to the reunion with Hot Pie and then the reunion with Nymeria. Maisie has been great and Arya, at least to me, still comes across as a very conflicted but intriguing character, just as she is in the books.

She stuck arround Riverrun, disguised as Walder Frey for at least 15 days, sleeping with his wife and mimicking his maneurisms and couldn't ask her maester or anyone for news about the North? Didn't hear someone comment about the Stark bastard who left The Watch and came back to life and has a giant Direwolf? The big Battle of the Bastards? The whole Vale going North?

A big part of her training last season was about gathering intel -_- She's a spy!

It's too much...

Edited by Ser Yorick Ampersand

11 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

She stuck arround Riverrun, disguised as Walder Frey for at least 15 days, sleeping with his wife and mimicking his maneurisms and couldn't ask her maester or anyone for news about the North? Didn't hear someone comment about the Stark bastard who left The Watch and came back to life and has a giant Direwolf? The big Battle of the Bastards? The whole Vale going North?

A big part of her training last season was about gathering intel -_- She's a spy!

It's too much...

Yes, the writing for Arya along with pretty much every other character has been beyond stupid and the show just has character s doing what they want them to do regardless of the impact it has on characterisation. 

The writers should NEVER have had Arya make the Frey pies. That was a huge character assassination right there. And her whole Braavos arc was written terribly. 

As for her Walder Frey disguise, we have no idea how long that went on for. Her killing all the Freys could have been same day or day after she killed Walder for all we know.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:38 PM, Cron said:

Well, I understand we're both just bouncing ideas around, and that's cool, but...

...there's a reason they used to build castles.  With huge stone walls.  And monstrous drawbridges, doors, moats, battlements, and places and ways for archers to stand up on top and pick off the poor suckers down below all day and all night.

Look how effectively the Night's Watch defended the Wall against a much larger attacking force (even though it was till only a small portion of Mance's army).  If Jon and the NW had gone out and fought the wildlings and giants in the open, they would not have lasted 10 minutes.

I don't claim to be a super expert on medieval style warfare, but I know this:  If you have a choice between defending Winterfell or attacking with a force that has NO siege weapons and NO food supply for a siege, take the defense 10 out of 10 times.  And don't go out in the field, cuz you will be giving up a HUGE advantage in exchange for nothing.

All Ramsay had to do was line the battlements with archers, then mass the rest of his troops near the gate(s) to defend the relatively narrow opening, and even that assumes Wun Wun would have been able to smash it down with about 500 arrows in his body, maybe even 1,000.

Even the Knights of the Vale would have been basically useless.  Uhh..cavalry?  To attack a castle?  No.

But do you know what cavalry ARE really good for?  Annihilating infantry in the open field, which is exactly what they did to Ramsay's forces.

This hit's a bit of a nerve w/me indirectly.  

The Wildlings had a "Giant" siege engine walking talking potential artillery all in one.  They just forgot to arm him or give him any armor because if they had that entire battle plan of Ramsey would have went to crap w/the Giant using a tree as a flaming Bo Staff if nothing else to smash the shield wall.  Which they basically already showed  a Giant using during Hardhome.   Any type of scaled armor/decent shield and those arrows would have been pin pricks at best, but they wanted/needed to kill him off.  He could have spent the night make iceballs to chuck and he would have been more effect in that battle on the field.

In your scenario, it's Winter they could have melted snow and made a shield out of ice even for him and use that for cover as he breaks the gate,  assuming they didn't want to take the time to make a full length shield out of trees as planks for him.  But, why break the gate when he could chuck things over the gate to let others scale walls/take out archers.  Really, he was the most underutilized/under-protected resource in that entire battle purely for plot reasons.

39 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

As for her Walder Frey disguise, we have no idea how long that went on for. Her killing all the Freys could have been same day or day after she killed Walder for all we know.

In the first episode she said "Second banquete in a forthnight". The first was when she killed Walder and made the pie. That makes 15 days to gather all the Freys and 15 days of her posing as Late Walder.

7 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Dream Wind said:

So are we not talking about the fact that Jon has been receiving ravens from everywhere, but not from edd? I mean it must be news that his brother is alive right?

Brother and legitimate heir... Might be an issue for some...

On 7/23/2017 at 9:34 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

Are you sure? Ever see Farinelli? All human beings need and desire physical intimacy, eunuch or not.

I worry that people are dissing this because of latent racial bias. If so, that's evil.

I think sexual bias. I really think it's bc GW isn't seen as manly (though I disagree). I've seen this on several forums.