How would you rate episode 702?

Ran

How would you rate episode 702?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

I'm giving it a 7. A definite improvement on last weeks clunkathon. 

My hopes weren't high after the first scene however. That battle room was another case of characters who seemed to have not had a single conversation with each other over the last few months, and decide to get all the most obvious points out to each other in the space of 5 minutes. So much expositional dialogue I wondered whether I could continue to watch it without ripping the tv apart.

I was also frustrated by what appears to be a very black and white view of what each group wanted. Dany and her crew seemed to all be mostly aligned in their ambitions, making their task mostly very simple, there were no conflicting goals, no backstabbing. 

That did mostly appear to improve as the episode wore on though. The Tarley/Jamie discussion did at least add some sort of political complexity to the show, as minimal as it was.

Apart from that there wasn't a huge amount to complain about, obviously Missaworm was just an awkward nonsensical scene that served very little purpose, the same goes for the lesbo action on the boat. 

But I enjoyed it a lot more than last week, which almost signalled the end of the show for me.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm giving it a 7. A definite improvement on last weeks clunkathon. 

My hopes weren't high after the first scene however. That battle room was another case of characters who seemed to have not had a single conversation with each other over the last few months, and decide to get all the most obvious points out to each other in the space of 5 minutes. So much expositional dialogue I wondered whether I could continue to watch it without ripping the tv apart.

I was also frustrated by what appears to be a very black and white view of what each group wanted. Dany and her crew seemed to all be mostly aligned in their ambitions, making their task mostly very simple, there were no conflicting goals, no backstabbing. 

That did mostly appear to improve as the episode wore on though. The Tarley/Jamie discussion did at least add some sort of political complexity to the show, as minimal as it was.

Apart from that there wasn't a huge amount to complain about, obviously Missaworm was just an awkward nonsensical scene that served very little purpose, the same goes for the lesbo action on the boat. 

But I enjoyed it a lot more than last week, which almost signalled the end of the show for me.

Missaworm ! Love it. Yeah that scene really bothered me. A lot. I mean why ?! Minor characters in a scene for that long was both cringey and not needed at this point in the story - for me at least. Agree on the Yara/Ellaria scene. It felt cheap.

I gave it an 8 this week. I loved the Arya/Nymeria scene, it made me cry.

I was a little disappointed in the dialogue around Myrcella too, and Ellaria's ridiculous response.

Other than that overall I pretty much enjoyed this ep.

The first 40 minutes were a solid 8, but the last 20 minutes kinda dragged it down. Still, I enjoyed it much more than the first episode so it deserves an 8. 

It was an overall well crafted episode apart from a couple black holes in logic and the insatiable need of the writers to make every single female character an ass as in the equivalent of strong. 

I enjoyed the Winterfell scenes, I enjoyed the Arya scenes, I enjoyed the Oldtown scenes, KL was okay though there were quite a few rocky bits with that piece of plot. Same goes for Dragonstone. But the reunions were great, LF vs Jon was great, I was pretty thankful that for once Lyanna Mormong agreed with the Northern lords, it was amazing to see Varys and Daenerys exchange (even though this should have happened ages ago), it was good to see Randyll Tarly back in the fold. They addressed that Dragonstone wasn't empty and Daenerys pardoned the Stannis followers, I liked that Mel brought Jon to Daenerys's attention. And surprisingly enough, I'm starting to like the King Jon persona, maybe because all the female leads are assholes. Same goes for Jaime. 

About the black holes in logic. Everybody knows everything (including Tyrion's knowing about Myrcella, Qyburn's knowing about the attack on Drogon in the fighting pits) but Arya haven't heard that the Boltons are finished? Whaaaaaaat? And why would Randyll Tarly even answer Cersei's call when his liege lord, Olenna is supporting a Targaryen. The Tarlys owe allegiance to House Tyrell and supported Rhaegar during Robert's Rebellion. Wtf is this person doing dealing with the Lannister Twins? Also, there seems to be a lot of unresolved tension in Daenerys's team and why do they want/need the rock? (Obviously so that Tyrion can snatch it away from Cersei and Jaime, and have his dream, but why can't we address this openly? - Ladies, we are taking the rock because Tyrion wants it. Dorne and Olenna want revenge, Yara wants the Iron Islands, it's only fair that Tyrion gets something in return for his support too)

and let's just not talk about Euron's attack. That was all sorts of bullshit. 

11 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Also, there seems to be a lot of unresolved tension in Daenerys's team and why do they want/need the rock?

Hmm, to me, it appears they want to take the rock, to make sure that no more support (read: gold) is sent from Casterly Rock/Lannisport to Kingslanding. No money, no way to buy food. Also it does make quite a solid point to take the Rock, since it is the only real Lannister stronghold apart from Kingslanding. If Lannisters aren't able to hold the (virtually untakeable) Rock, it will show the other kingdoms that supporting the Lannisters is a lost cause.

A strong 8, the scene between Missandei and Greyworm wasn't needed but i guess they need to show some nudity, and also maybe it's the last time they see eachother. I don't think Greyworm will survive this season. 

I enjoyed the rest, loved Samwell's bit about Jeor and also Randyll saying "we don't stab kings in the back or cut the throats of our rivals at weddings"

Much better than the last episode for me. Tyrion and Varys actually got dialogue! Hallelujah. Although Vary's saying he's only doing it for the people is that really true? Dany makes a good point about varys scheming instead of counseling. Would a man of the people really be scheming for another king/queen which would cause a massive loss of life?

I do like how Cersei is using the Dothraki against Danny to get people to join her like randyl.

I was a bit butthurt from the Arya and Nymeria scene. But i guess Nymeria felt abandoned by arya.

1 hour ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

Hmm, to me, it appears they want to take the rock, to make sure that no more support (read: gold) is sent from Casterly Rock/Lannisport to Kingslanding. No money, no way to buy food. Also it does make quite a solid point to take the Rock, since it is the only real Lannister stronghold apart from Kingslanding. If Lannisters aren't able to hold the (virtually untakeable) Rock, it will show the other kingdoms that supporting the Lannisters is a lost cause.

Well, it would make a parallel with Robb losing Winterfell, but other than that... 

the other kingdoms need a lost rock to know that supporting heirless maniac Cersei Lannister who blew up a religious headquarter (with the leaders of two great houses and a bunch of noblemen inside to escape justice) and has no legal claim to the throne, barely any supporters is a lost cause? If that isn't obvious to them now, I don't know what else they need. 

And what gold? Tywin said three or four seasons ago that the gold mines of Casterly Rock have been dried up for years. It's a miracle that the Lannister army is still functioning. 

Sometimes I amaze even myself, but I thought that was quite good. Granted, my expectations are at rock-bottom, so it doesn't take much for D&D to impress me. 

Most of the scenes were good, the battle at the end was great (two sand-snakes down!) and I actually thought Kit and Emilia upped their game this week. Missaworm was a pathetic waste of time, of course, but other than that the episode was pretty engaging.  

Gave it a three.  C'mon, the sea battle in the dark?  You could not even tell who was on what side.  Now that Dani's navy is destroyed how will they transport the Dothraki?  Where are the Dothraki? Maybe they are right now being carried to the mainland by the dragons?  Where were the dragons when the whole navy was wiped out?  Why would Tarly support the murderous bitch who just blew up his liege lord?  No sense.  There is just too many plot holes, and I mean MAJOR plot holes, to find this engaging.  So next week Jon Snow hops on the Littlefinger transporter and is in Dragonstone. Jeeeez,  The Sand Snake fiasco looks to be coming to an end.  The HBO T & A show had its gratuitous lesbian tease and a sex scene with a eunuch! Seriously?  Total wastes of time.

Oh i did enjoy Arya and Hotpie's reunion even though it was a bit of rehash of when Brienne visited the inn. Moreover, Arya not knowing a thing about Jon taking Winterfell was just plain stupid. If I was a writer of the show I would have taken out Arya killing all those freys last episode as it was unnecessary and purely there to start the show off with a bang/fan service. She'd already killed Walder and his sons, the other freys we'd never even seen before. It was just over kill. Instead of bumping into some Lannisters and ed sheeran, what about her bumping into some freys who are actually nice instead of making the whole house like cartoon dumb and evil. In that scene she would find out about Jon being king and decide to head north. I'd take out the Hotpie scene as as result which would leave us with the Nymeria scene and I'd leave it at that. Rant over.

I gave this episode a 6, I felt it had some of the worst acting performances of the series especially from Maisie Williams although she did a good job in her scene with Nymeria it doesn't make up for the lacklustre performance with hotpie, it was just a painfully awkward reunion between two grown up child actors. I'm confused as to why Daenerys only confronted Varys after they got to Dragonstone, so we are supposed to believe they never talked on that long voyage to Dragonstone.I feel like their continuity director does a bad job or they don't even have one, to avoid that obvious plot hole all they needed to do was not have Varys at the end of season 6 standing smugly behind Daenerys on her ship, having said all that I enjoyed the dialogue in the Varys and Daenerys scene it was well written as sometimes happens with Bryan Cogman.The scene with Melisandre was a bit odd in the way Varys asked her if she had any other reason to believe Jon has a part to play other than "what you've seen in the flames" even though she never mentions seeing anything in the flames The battle scene at the end was great and the only reason I didn't score the episode a 2. The Greyworm & Missandei sex scene felt meaningless as though they were paying fan service to non existent fans. I really don't understand why they gave Jorah greyscale if they were going to have Sam cure it so easily .There are way too many scenes now were one scene segways from a character sending a message by crow to a character receiving the message, it's like sitting with a friend while they are constantly sending text messages, great entertainment right

gave it a 9.

too bad nymeria and fellow wolves didnt kill arya, what a missed opportunity to finish her off. 

the stupid sand snake sisters death was pretty pleasant but it could have happened several seasons earlier.

misandeis and greyworms relationship finally left the friend zone, time to leave them both behind.

man of the match: theon

honestly, right now he is my favourite character. his jump overboard was so hilarious, i had to laugh along euron.

all in all i thought this episode was more compact than the first one and raised the speed of events which i welcome. somehow the last season put me a bit off, at some point bored me a bit, now i am looking forward to the next episode.

gotta say it again, theon, best man of westeros!

On 24.07.2017 at 3:31 PM, LordImp said:

1. We dont know where this battle takes place. Most likely far from Dragonstone.

2. Euron's ship is called Silence that's why

3. Euron is mad. 

Terrible excuses, as usual from people who won't admit the lack of logic.

1. Look at a map. Euron was in King's Landing. You have to sail past Dragonstone when you leave King's Landing. Yes, this battle is happening far away from Dragonstone, but the point is that to get there, Euron necessarily had to pass Dragonstone. Like I said, look at a map. You can't leave Blackwater Bay without passing Dragonstone.

2. What the fuck ? Are you serious ? His ship is called the Silence because it's manned by a crew of mutes. The ship itself obviously isn't actually silent, and in any case it isn't just one ship, Euron is there with his fleet. His fleet isn't invisible or silent. You can't just sneak up on someone with a massive fleet.

3. Yeah, he's mad, but his men aren't. Why on Earth would they risk killing their King ? It makes zero sense for them to keep hurling fire at ships that their friends and leader have boarded.

Edited by NickStark2494

On Invalid Date at 5:26 AM, xjlxking said:

Of course Theon's going to choke. He took one look into Euron's crazed eyes and saw Ramsay staring back at him. I'm amazed he lasted in that battle as long as he did. I didn't see that scene as anything but realistic. Euron snuck up on them in the fog; the fleet was not pulling security because they had sailed unopposed from Slaver's Bay to Westeros unopposed and had gotten used to it. Plus it was foggy and rainy.

Well, OK, the Grey Worm / Missandei scene was a bit boring - would have been more interesting if we'd seen the cavernous void that was once Worm's dick staring back at us.

The rest of the episode was good. We're building to something interesting. I just wish Arya's doggy had gone with her, but after throwing rocks at her and abandoning her for years, I can understand why she didn't. Arya's lucky Nymeria didn't bite her hand off. Looks like Arya and Bran are now on their slow-ass way to Winterfell. Hooray!

3 hours ago, Pwyll41 said:

Gave it a three.  C'mon, the sea battle in the dark?  You could not even tell who was on what side.  Now that Dani's navy is destroyed how will they transport the Dothraki?  Where are the Dothraki? Maybe they are right now being carried to the mainland by the dragons?  Where were the dragons when the whole navy was wiped out?  Why would Tarly support the murderous bitch who just blew up his liege lord?  No sense.  There is just too many plot holes, and I mean MAJOR plot holes, to find this engaging.  So next week Jon Snow hops on the Littlefinger transporter and is in Dragonstone. Jeeeez,  The Sand Snake fiasco looks to be coming to an end.  The HBO T & A show had its gratuitous lesbian tease and a sex scene with a eunuch! Seriously?  Total wastes of time.

Where were the dragons ? On Dragonstone with Dany, obviously.

Dany's navy wasn't entirely destroyed. We saw in Season 6 that she had Greyjoy ships, Tyrell ships, Martell ships, and the ships she stole from the Masters of Astapor, Yunkai, and Volantis, which she put Targaryen sails on. In this battle we only saw Greyjoy ships, so it seems clear only part of her navy was destroyed, the Greyjoy part. She obviously still has other ships, since Tyrion said the Unsullied were sailing to Casterly Rock.

Why would Tarly fight along side Dothraki and Unsullied ? Neither option appeals to him, but at the end of the day he's choosing to fight for the Crown over fighting with foreign invaders. Makes sense.

The show has hundreds of plot holes, inconsistencies, and contradictions, but those three points are not among them.

6 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

The first 40 minutes were a solid 8, but the last 20 minutes kinda dragged it down. Still, I enjoyed it much more than the first episode so it deserves an 8. 

It was an overall well crafted episode apart from a couple black holes in logic and the insatiable need of the writers to make every single female character an ass as in the equivalent of strong. 

I enjoyed the Winterfell scenes, I enjoyed the Arya scenes, I enjoyed the Oldtown scenes, KL was okay though there were quite a few rocky bits with that piece of plot. Same goes for Dragonstone. But the reunions were great, LF vs Jon was great, I was pretty thankful that for once Lyanna Mormong agreed with the Northern lords, it was amazing to see Varys and Daenerys exchange (even though this should have happened ages ago), it was good to see Randyll Tarly back in the fold. They addressed that Dragonstone wasn't empty and Daenerys pardoned the Stannis followers, I liked that Mel brought Jon to Daenerys's attention. And surprisingly enough, I'm starting to like the King Jon persona, maybe because all the female leads are assholes. Same goes for Jaime. 

About the black holes in logic. Everybody knows everything (including Tyrion's knowing about Myrcella, Qyburn's knowing about the attack on Drogon in the fighting pits) but Arya haven't heard that the Boltons are finished? Whaaaaaaat? And why would Randyll Tarly even answer Cersei's call when his liege lord, Olenna is supporting a Targaryen. The Tarlys owe allegiance to House Tyrell and supported Rhaegar during Robert's Rebellion. Wtf is this person doing dealing with the Lannister Twins? Also, there seems to be a lot of unresolved tension in Daenerys's team and why do they want/need the rock? (Obviously so that Tyrion can snatch it away from Cersei and Jaime, and have his dream, but why can't we address this openly? - Ladies, we are taking the rock because Tyrion wants it. Dorne and Olenna want revenge, Yara wants the Iron Islands, it's only fair that Tyrion gets something in return for his support too)

and let's just not talk about Euron's attack. That was all sorts of bullshit. 

They did not address Dragonstone being empty, and they did not pardon Stannis followers. I have no idea where you got that idea from. That line about pardoning those who served the wrong King was referring to Varys. We saw last week that Dragonstone was indeed empty, there were no Stannis followers.

Gave it a 3.

As always since they jumped the shark for me in S5 when they had a character wave off inconvenient geography for plot reasons (Brienne saying "we'll just go around Moat Cailin) I start at 0 for every episode.

The Varys monologue and confrontation was an actual good character moment +1 (not getting more for the obvious glaring flaws with the rest of the scene).

Nymeria-Arya: +1 (not getting more for making Nymeria hostile at the start, and apparently for many the "That's not you" ended up confusing a whole lot of viewers, either concluding it's not Nymeria or it not being audible)

Battle action scene: +1 for the action (not getting more, because I don't give an f about anyone on those ships, the complete nonsense of Euron being able to surprise Yara's fleet, and it being a night scene. And no a show doesn't get brownie points from me for killing off characters they wrote so badly that everyone would prefer to forget they ever existed on the show. I've seen way better sea-battle scenes than this one. Nor do they get points for calling Victarion Euron.)

The rest is

• immensely contrived plot with huge plot holes so that even Tyrion has to wave away the camera of showing the table map too much in order for the audience not to realize that Unsullied can only get to CR by the same sailing route as Yara, and characters having lost their brains while teleporting.
  • exposition dialogue (partially aimed to hail Saint Tyrion).
  • Good for Tom Hopper he was the one who ended up being re-cast for Dickon Tarly, but Tarly even being in KL for Cersei with his heir in that throne room is more nonsense. I can figure why Tom Hopper was cast: as Billy Bones in Black Sails he could make great WTF and "Oh shit" faces. Guess that would be perfect for a BBQ moment coming to you real soon.

2 hours ago, NickStark2494 said:

3. Yeah, he's mad, but his men aren't. Why on Earth would they risk killing their King ? It makes zero sense for them to keep hurling fire at ships that their friends and leader have boarded

How do you know that his men aren't mad? 

2 hours ago, NickStark2494 said:

logic.

This is a fantasy series , does it have to be logic all the time ? When it comes to fiction I dont care about logic. You should learn to separate fiction from the real world. 

19 minutes ago, LordImp said:

How do you know that his men aren't mad? 

This is a fantasy series , does it have to be logic all the time ? When it comes to fiction I dont care about logic. You should learn to separate fiction from the real world. 

Maybe some of them are mad, but he has THOUSANDS of men. They're not all going to be insane. It makes zero sense for them to throw fire at a ship that their King is on. The risk of killing him is extremely high, they just wouldn't do it, it's fucking absurd.

You may think you don't care about logic, but the reality is that it's important for immersion. Maybe you care less than I do, but to an extent, everyone cares.

To me, it's important for the story make sense, otherwise what's the point ? Anyone can write a series of nonsensical events. What separates good writing from bad writing is how well constructed the story is. When the story is logical and realistic, it's more interesting. You must be a moron if you think that means I can't separate fiction from the real world. I think you need to understand that stories need to make sense for them to be compelling, to most people with a brain at least. That's the definition of good writing.

The fact that it's fantasy does not give them a free pass to write nonsense.

If Jon pulls out an Iphone 7 next episode would you be cool with that ? No, because it makes no sense in this world.

If Dany greets Jon as her nephew next episode would you think that was good ? No, because it makes no sense for her to know that.

Logic is important.

These are obviously extreme examples, but the show is riddled with all sorts of plot holes, inconsistencies, and contradictions. That is not a good thing. Criticizing a nonsensical story doesn't mean I don't know the difference between fiction and reality.

Thinking that logic is unnecessary is a sign of extreme stupidity. Unfortunately, it seems that you are indeed suffering from that affliction.

Edited by NickStark2494