Spoiler: Dany's Small Council

Shi Qiang

That was a beautiful opening scene.  The drama and the tension were terrific.  Varys got grilled and rightly so.  Daenerys Stormborn proved her wisdom in setting terms with Varys.  Well played by both Emilia and Conleth.  Dany showed great wisdom here. 

The scene between Dany and Mellisandre is another terrific movie making.  I love the sound of HIgh Valyrian. 

Natalie Emmanuel is gorgeous. 

Ah, Yara and Theon got careless.  Euron should never have gotten that close. 

21 minutes ago, kg1982 said:

I thought that Dany came off as an awful bitch in her scenes.  She seemed almost pleased with being TPTWP and threatening Varys is not cool.  

yes!

I seriously wanted to slap her. The tone she uses the entire scene is awful! it seems like she is showing people she is better than anyone else. I actually thought the dialogue is the scene was good, but that tone is just wrong and unbearable!

I loved that whole scene.  The conversation between Dany and Varys was fantastic, though yes realistically it should have happened a while go since Varys has been with her awhile.  And yes Emilia and Conleth were great together.  I also loved the scene with Dany and Olenna and yes I am pretty sure she will be taken Olenna's advice. Can't wait.

3 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I loved that whole scene.  The conversation between Dany and Varys was fantastic, though yes realistically it should have happened a while go since Varys has been with her awhile.  And yes Emilia and Conleth were great together.  I also loved the scene with Dany and Olenna and yes I am pretty sure she will be taken Olenna's advice. Can't wait.

I agree the Dany and Varys scene was one of my all time favorites. It finally showed some depth to both of their characters, especially Dany's, that I have been waiting for for a long time. 

I did think it was interesting that it ended with Olenna's advice to "just ignore" what everyone is saying. I like to think that Olenna knows what she's talking about, but I feel like a full attack on KL will be a bad idea. 

34 minutes ago, divica said:

yes!

I seriously wanted to slap her. The tone she uses the entire scene is awful! it seems like she is showing people she is better than anyone else. I actually thought the dialogue is the scene was good, but that tone is just wrong and unbearable!

I thought that Conleth was very good in this scene.  It was probably one of the best showcases Varys has had in a while since his famous riddle in Season 2 and his talks with LF in Season 2 and Season 3.  I love him being for the commoners and telling her straight out that her daddy was evil.  However, there is something very off about Danerys and her characterization.  I am not sure if we are supposed to see her as a villain or if it is just bad writing and acting.  I suspect/ fear the latter.  Dany becoming a villain would be a cool twist, but my fear is that she will continue to act as an authoritarian bitch and be gifted the Throne with everyone kneeling to her.  

Spoiler

We know from the spoilers that Jon basically sells out the North for nothing and becomes her mistress because Dany is SO perfect and wonderful and deserves to be queen while he is apparently garbage unworthy to lick her boots.  And this is after she spends the season being awful to him.

1 hour ago, kg1982 said:

I thought that Dany came off as an awful bitch in her scenes.  She seemed almost pleased with being TPTWP and threatening Varys is not cool.  

Agreed.  Dany comes off really poorly.  When I first read the books and saw the shows I thought they were setting her up to be a really interesting, tragic, and badass villain.  Now I think they're setting her up to destroy everything in her path with supreme confidence and bitchery and trying to present it as heroic.  I enjoyed her character up until season 4.  Now she gets so tiring and annoying.  Mad props to Varys for keeping it real.

17 minutes ago, kg1982 said:

I thought that Conleth was very good in this scene.  It was probably one of the best showcases Varys has had in a while since his famous riddle in Season 2 and his talks with LF in Season 2 and Season 3.  I love him being for the commoners and telling her straight out that her daddy was evil.  However, there is something very off about Danerys and her characterization.  I am not sure if we are supposed to see her as a villain or if it is just bad writing and acting.  I suspect/ fear the latter.  Dany becoming a villain would be a cool twist, but my fear is that she will continue to act as an authoritarian bitch and be gifted the Throne with everyone kneeling to her.  

Hide contents

We know from the spoilers that Jon basically sells out the North for nothing and becomes her mistress because Dany is SO perfect and wonderful and deserves to be queen while he is apparently garbage unworthy to lick her boots.  And this is after she spends the season being awful to him.

Amen!!!!

1 minute ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Agreed.  Dany comes off really poorly.  When I first read the books and saw the shows I thought they were setting her up to be a really interesting, tragic, and badass villain.  Now I think they're setting her up to destroy everything in her path with supreme confidence and bitchery and trying to present it as heroic.  I enjoyed her character up until season 4.  Now she gets so tiring and annoying.  Mad props to Varys for keeping it real.

There has been something really off about her character since Season 5.  I suspect it is Emilia's acting choices as well as bad writing and directing.  Lena, who is a much better actress, can make Cersei sympathetic and understandable while still showing her as a villain.

And off topic but I totally agree with your take on Rhaegar; he is a supreme dick for ditching Elia.

LOL, that scene wasn't good. It was a bunch of crap. Varys did back Mad King, tried to back that fool Viserys, and tried to assassinate Daenerys in the show. He should have been fed to the dragon for that both because neither of those actions helped the common people or House Targaryen. You cannot trust inconsistently written characters like that. So commit them to the flames and be done with it.

Vice versa, there is no reason why Varys should consider Daenerys a good queen. But then, apparently think the Mad Queen blowing up the Great Sept is going to protect them against the evil Mad King's daughter.

Do you know what I would do if I had to live in such an incoherent setting? I'd kill myself, convinced to get out of this insane holo deck, Matrix, TV show universe.

14 minutes ago, kg1982 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think that D&D actually think that the way danny acts and talks is inspiring and makes her a holly queen. And the rest of the season will be about how she shoud ignore everybody else's advices and do what she thinks is right because she is always right and people should just obey her...

7 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I liked her season 5 because she had to deal with adversity and learn to compromise. In season 6 we got this new danny...

Just now, divica said:

I think that D&D actually think that the way danny acts and talks is inspiring and makes her a holly queen. And the rest of the season will be about how she shoud ignore everybody else's advices and do what she thinks is right because she is always right and people should just obey her...

Spoiler

Giftwrapping the ice zombies that dragon is such a wonderful choice she makes.  But of course it will solely be Jon's fault because Dany is perfect and never does anything stupid.

5 minutes ago, kg1982 said:

There has been something really off about her character since Season 5.  I suspect it is Emilia's acting choices as well as bad writing and directing.  Lena, who is a much better actress, can make Cersei sympathetic and understandable while still showing her as a villain.

And off topic but I totally agree with your take on Rhaegar; he is a supreme dick for ditching Elia.

I was going to say that. Cersei which is suposed to be the villain and half mad is able to talk to people in a nicer way than danny. At least she doesn t sound like she is superior to everybody else and people should simply kneel to her because she is awesome...

2 minutes ago, divica said:

I was going to say that. Cersei which is suposed to be the villain and half mad is able to talk to people in a nicer way than danny. At least she doesn t sound like she is superior to everybody else and people should simply kneel to her because she is awesome...

I thought Cersei's political speech made complete sense.  She used the fears that the bannermen had about Dany's armies to her advantage.  It was sane politics, not kneel because the throne is MINE.

9 minutes ago, kg1982 said:

For me it started in S4 with the taking of Mereen, but I agree with your assessment, particularly as it relates to Emilia's performance (can't believe she recently got an acting nom from the emmys or golden globes or whatever).

And yes, even if the tired and implausible "but elia was totally cool with it she knew she couldn't have children" argument was true, swingin' Rhaegar would still be a selfish dick.  I will never be convinced otherwise.  I am also not too fond of his friends in the Kingsguard.

How screwed up is that Jon's council is more disfunctional than Dany's despite the latter including a Lannister, the most offensive Tyrell, a Dornish bastard, a couple of Ironborn, a Red Priestess and a sneaky Master of Whisperers? 

7 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

How screwed up is that Jon's council is more disfunctional than Dany's despite the latter including a Lannister, the most offensive Tyrell, a Dornish bastard, a couple of Ironborn, a Red Priestess and a sneaky Master of Whisperers? 

There is a difference there.  Jon actually has to submit his decision to his Council and while he can ultimately overrule them, they still have a right to have their say and criticize him an open setting.  I almost thought it was like a rudimentary Parliament.  It had the feel and look of a New England town council meeting.

2 minutes ago, kg1982 said:

There is a difference there.  Jon actually has to submit his decision to his Council and while he can ultimately overrule them, they still have a right to have their say and criticize him an open setting.  I almost thought it was like a rudimentary Parliament.  It had the feel and look of a New England town council meeting.

More like a GOP town hall. But you're right, I suppose three dragons do make people less argumentative. 

I had this thought when the still for the episode were released a few days ago, but has anyone else mentioned that even including Theon/Grey Worm/Varys, Tyrion is the only person in that room with a cock?

Archived