What's the point of the reintroduction of Reek?

2 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Can't D&D just try to advance the story and stop making all those throwbacks?

I don't think that was him being reek. He looked around and realized he was screwed and his only chance at survival was going overboard. I would not have wanted to be in euron's hands.

I think (I hope anyway) they are gonna do some dramatic rescue thing in the season finale after he finds some metaphorical mcguffin and finally becomes his own man and this makes him brave/smart/etc. enough to live up to this week's line where Yara said that Theon would be her protector, since A] obviously that didn't apply to him at the time, B] seems kinda odd that Euron didn't just kill Yara here and now unless she's ultimately getting rescued.

Or they'll just kill her next week and give us a bunch of LOL THEON SUCKS content and I'll get all irritated all over these forums about it.  You know, whatever.

52 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

I think (I hope anyway) they are gonna do some dramatic rescue thing in the season finale after he finds some metaphorical mcguffin and finally becomes his own man and this makes him brave/smart/etc. enough to live up to this week's line where Yara said that Theon would be her protector, since A] obviously that didn't apply to him at the time, B] seems kinda odd that Euron didn't just kill Yara here and now unless she's ultimately getting rescued.

Or they'll just kill her next week and give us a bunch of LOL THEON SUCKS content and I'll get all irritated all over these forums about it.  You know, whatever.

My worry is they are only keeping her alive so we can watch euron torture her. I really don't want them to do that.

1 hour ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Agreed, I was thinking during the scene that even if Theon were able to defeat Euron, his men would either intervene as he was losing or kill Theon afterward.  He really had only the slimmest of hopes of living, but in jumping he in affect sacrificed his queen, because Euron can kill her before a rescue is even schemed up.  Worried she's going to get tortured big time.

7 minutes ago, ssls6 said:

I think Theon did the only thing he could.  Wasn't that Yara hanging from the ship's bow in the last scene with a sand snake on a pike?

No, both Sand Snakes, the first one Euron impaled with the spear and the second one with her whip was hung from the prow.

7 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Can't D&D just try to advance the story and stop making all those throwbacks?

1) How do you know that it won't advance the story?

2) How do you know that Theon doesn't do something similar in the books?

Reek would have submitted straight away and knelt down for Euron.

Theon escaped Winterfell when he stopped being Reek, Theon escaped Euron by not being Reek. I don't see that he had much choice as to what to do. Give himself over to Euron to be a prisoner, tortured and likely executed or run.

I think definitley, when Ellaria asked Theon to go and pour her a drink. This triggered Trauma and his Reek charateristic to come back. When he says no really I dont mind. That was him entering his submissive state, which is Reek. If Euron and Yara die. Does this mean in the TV Series that Theon is now the last of the Grey Joys?

I am wondering if Theon needs to do something plot wise as Reek. The show has written him as mostly past it, but in the books he's just taken the first step and is in a different place (geographically and mentally).

I agree that Theon's moment of cowardice was the right thing to do. I also think it's mostly Reek, but not entirely Reek. The poster above says Reek would have surrendered, and I think he might have. He is Theon, but seeing the Iron Born desacrating and corpses and soon to be corpses definitely triggered a Reek like relapse in resolve.

PTSD doesn't just disappear overnight or because a person forces themselves through each day. Right before Theon jumps, he's got the triggers of his uncle's men mutilating people. Just like Ramsay did to Reek. Then Euron's complete control over Yara. Just like Ramsay with Sansa. I'm surprised Theon managed a fight at all up until that point. And while I hate that old hipster, interesting to see Euron isn't full of shit and can actually terrify people.

Because Euron is the only man in the series.

I mean what else have we got? The dwarf, the dead guy, the eunuch, the other eunuch, mr lefty, boy-who-can't-move-his-dick, frosty mcHornface, the dragonkin, meatsack, the men in black, milkboy, floppy fish, mr rowrowrowyourboat, and some tertiary characters.

Well, and there's Bronn and Pod. They'll be Euron's main adversaries, I reckon.

10 hours ago, Sand11751 said:

PTSD doesn't just disappear overnight or because a person forces themselves through each day. Right before Theon jumps, he's got the triggers of his uncle's men mutilating people. Just like Ramsay did to Reek. Then Euron's complete control over Yara. Just like Ramsay with Sansa. I'm surprised Theon managed a fight at all up until that point. And while I hate that old hipster, interesting to see Euron isn't full of shit and can actually terrify people.

I agree. I thought it was a very realistic way for the scene to go, given Theon's past. You could really see through his eyes the transformation from Reek- survival.  

11 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I am wondering if Theon needs to do something plot wise as Reek. The show has written him as mostly past it, but in the books he's just taken the first step and is in a different place (geographically and mentally).

I agree that Theon's moment of cowardice was the right thing to do. I also think it's mostly Reek, but not entirely Reek. The poster above says Reek would have surrendered, and I think he might have. He is Theon, but seeing the Iron Born desacrating and corpses and soon to be corpses definitely triggered a Reek like relapse in resolve.

Agreed. The way he drops his sword and all about his facial expressions cries out Reek. The showrunners, at least, want us to believe he is back to being him.

However, that might just be a red herring and this Theon is the real thing. Who knows... Please George, show D&D the way!

As many people have already stated in this topic, Theon hasn't returned to Reek, but his experience as Reek made sure he didn't want to be captured and tortured again. This made him to jump ship.

The aftermath will be interesting though. He is currently adrift somewhere in the ocean. I'm pretty sure he will survive. However, the question is, will he drown and be baptised by the Drowned God, return stronger and harder and finally become a true Ironborn?

Archived