How did Euron find Yara's fleet?

RobertF

In the middle of the ocean, at night no less?

I'm assuming Yara was at sea, en route to Dorne and no longer anchored off of Dragonstone.

The other thing that bugged me is how quickly Euron could assemble a new fleet, and man it, after Yara took the bulk of the Greyjoy ships and seamen.

Through the magic of that horseshit Ned mentioned, I believe.

I don't even know if Euron had more than one ship. If it were just the Silence I guess sneaking up would be achievable.

Why the hell did Euron ram the flag ship and then board it. Isn't it just going to sink and take down his men too?

I like battles in GoT but this was about as well thought out as twenty good men. Apparently lookouts don't exist anywhere in Planetos.

18 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Through the magic of that horseshit Ned mentioned, I believe.

I don't even know if Euron had more than one ship. If it were just the Silence I guess sneaking up would be achievable.

Why the hell did Euron ram the flag ship and then board it. Isn't it just going to sink and take down his men too?

I like battles in GoT but this was about as well thought out as twenty good men. Apparently lookouts don't exist anywhere in Planetos.

He rammed the ship because he had no intention of taking it just it's cargo. And because it looks cool. Also silence in the books is supposed to have magic powers or something and the fact that the storm seemed to be following it might mean it helped hide it. Though I agree it was a bit much

That whole scene was garbage on a logical level. Let's assume he has his fleet of 1000 ships that appeared because he used the cheat console in Westeros: Total War, fine. How do you keep a fleet like that from smashing into each other on a foggy night without any lights on the ships themselves? Then how do you somehow sneak into another large fleet and magically attack their CAPITAL SHIP, which any sane fleet master would keep protected in the center of their fleet because without it communication becomes a lot harder and the chain of command vanishes. 

Then, assuming you do somehow pull of that ridiculous BS, why would you then toss fire at their ships, and then board them and while boarded, continue to hurl fire? You'd burn half your damned ships in the process.

1 minute ago, Bishop Cruz said:

That whole scene was garbage on a logical level. Let's assume he has his fleet of 1000 ships that appeared because he used the cheat console in Westeros: Total War, fine. How do you keep a fleet like that from smashing into each other on a foggy night without any lights on the ships themselves? Then how do you somehow sneak into another large fleet and magically attack their CAPITAL SHIP, which any sane fleet master would keep protected in the center of their fleet because without it communication becomes a lot harder and the chain of command vanishes. 

Then, assuming you do somehow pull of that ridiculous BS, why would you then toss fire at their ships, and then board them and while boarded, continue to hurl fire? You'd burn half your damned ships in the process.

There didn't look like there were that many ships though. Less then ten all together.

I agree it's nonsense on a logical level. Just one thing:

It's pretty cheap and fast to build ships. You can stomp a new fleet out of nothing within a few months or even weeks. You just need the manpower (which he had I, am I right?) and wood. Okay, wood might be a problem for the iron born. But other than that the new fleet is not that big a problem.

'Snow is the man' implied Euron might have used magic or magic accompanies him. Dark storms following his ship? Good old 'Flying Dutchman'-Stuff. Is there anything known from the books that could shed a bit of light to that? Might that be a reason how he was able to pull that off?

1) Asha&Theon cannot have stolen a significant portion of Euron's fleet. Say it's 50 ppl to even man a ship (and that's not the big ones), that'd be 5000 men for a hundred ships, which iirc is the iron fleet. Pretty sure they couldn't take more than a few ships as it stands. And the ironborn have more than that, I think it was about 300 ships altogether (though many would be mere longships). They might've set more ships adrift in their escape, but those could mostly be recovered... that's an easy guess. So they just took some of the best ships... plenty more. Besides, Euron passed by most of Westeros to get to KL, he could have "obtained" some replacements on the way. 

2) Yes, Euron has "magic". He's big on that, he drinks shade of the evening, hauls along some warlocks, loves the stuff. In the books, he specifically uses some weirdness to sail his fleet way out at sea, to surprise attack the shield islands.

3) Which brings us to the actual question: because fleets tend to follow the shoreline. Storms are by far the greater danger, and it's not like shorebased defenses could shoot them from miles away. So Euron would know every bit of Asha's movements since the shoreline is entirely in the hands of the Lannisters. Hell, fair assumption that they kept some eyes on dragonstone anyway. Not like Dany's fleet was trying to hide.

4)The actual question is how Dany and co managed to be unaware that there's a hostile monster fleet just across the bay... or to not take it into account. 

5) As for Euron sneaking up on them... bit of silliness, but if he has some magic ("I am the storm!") I guess he summoned a fog for that. Bit of risk to his own ships, though he's mad enough to risk it... and with proper usage of lights (which don't face forward, of course), that's not a massive deal, especially if the fog is mainly between the two fleets.

6) The fire is because fuck logic. Can be used pretty well, but sailing into it is hellastupid, and continuing fire after that is too crazy even for Euron. Catapults don't have massive range, either. But judging by that guy who got crushed by Euron's plank, I'm mainly surprised that he didn't have massive loudspeakers playing the Trololo song.

7) Let's just remember that all we see is a 1on1 ship battle, actually only happening on one ship. Budget reasons, no doubt. Just imagine more of the same, really, inbetween the attack's start and the boarding. The way it was done, it looks cool. Could've been a bit better with more realism, but the focus on that one "duel" is just the way it has to be done for a tv series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

Here is the source of the fire. Of course it's done with digital this and that, but there was actually a fire of that sort although the formula has since been lost. Greek Fire.

Without magic, the "Sneaking" up would only be possible if Asha and every captain on her ships were both blind and afflicted with Downs Syndrome along with Alzheimers

As to all the information about the fleet Euron obviously had....traitor. I suspect Varys.

I just hate this whole Euron storyline since it is so illogical.  If it was so easy and cheap to build ships why doesn't everyone have a navy of super ships?  Dany sure went to a lot of unnecessary trouble if the Iron Islands could put together this fleet with super stealth tracking abilities.

But I realize the TV show needs another villain now that the Boltons are gone.  Just wish it was done with the normal GOT style.  

On 24.07.2017 at 2:48 PM, Lou Edi said:

1) Asha&Theon cannot have stolen a significant portion of Euron's fleet. Say it's 50 ppl to even man a ship (and that's not the big ones), that'd be 5000 men for a hundred ships, which iirc is the iron fleet. Pretty sure they couldn't take more than a few ships as it stands. And the ironborn have more than that, I think it was about 300 ships altogether (though many would be mere longships). They might've set more ships adrift in their escape, but those could mostly be recovered... that's an easy guess. So they just took some of the best ships... plenty more. Besides, Euron passed by most of Westeros to get to KL, he could have "obtained" some replacements on the way. 

2) Yes, Euron has "magic". He's big on that, he drinks shade of the evening, hauls along some warlocks, loves the stuff. In the books, he specifically uses some weirdness to sail his fleet way out at sea, to surprise attack the shield islands.

3) Which brings us to the actual question: because fleets tend to follow the shoreline. Storms are by far the greater danger, and it's not like shorebased defenses could shoot them from miles away. So Euron would know every bit of Asha's movements since the shoreline is entirely in the hands of the Lannisters. Hell, fair assumption that they kept some eyes on dragonstone anyway. Not like Dany's fleet was trying to hide.

4)The actual question is how Dany and co managed to be unaware that there's a hostile monster fleet just across the bay... or to not take it into account. 

5) As for Euron sneaking up on them... bit of silliness, but if he has some magic ("I am the storm!") I guess he summoned a fog for that. Bit of risk to his own ships, though he's mad enough to risk it... and with proper usage of lights (which don't face forward, of course), that's not a massive deal, especially if the fog is mainly between the two fleets.

6) The fire is because fuck logic. Can be used pretty well, but sailing into it is hellastupid, and continuing fire after that is too crazy even for Euron. Catapults don't have massive range, either. But judging by that guy who got crushed by Euron's plank, I'm mainly surprised that he didn't have massive loudspeakers playing the Trololo song.

7) Let's just remember that all we see is a 1on1 ship battle, actually only happening on one ship. Budget reasons, no doubt. Just imagine more of the same, really, inbetween the attack's start and the boarding. The way it was done, it looks cool. Could've been a bit better with more realism, but the focus on that one "duel" is just the way it has to be done for a tv series.

Unfortunately for logic, Dany says in Season 6 Episode 9 that Yara and Theon have brought her 100 ships from the Iron Fleet. So, yeah. We're meant to believe that for 10 minutes while Euron was being drowned and crowned, Yara and Theon somehow gathered thousands of men who are loyal to them, not to the newly elected King, located the "best ships", readied them, and sailed away. It's utter bullshit.

One more comment to the illogical side of the battle scene (and even on the scene with Euron's fleet in Episode 1 approaching KL):

With very few exceptions (big merchant cogs) ships in GOT are driven by oar power supported by sails. Especially the longships of the ironborn are equipped with many oars.to allow high speed and excellent capability to manouvre, especially in battle. And: In battle you better have the sails down.

In the books it is described that even civil ships when approaching a harbour rely on oars (see e.g. when Catelyn lands in KL port in book 1).

Now: How comes it that Euron attacks Yara's fleet with full sails? Completely nonsense. If he would approach to ram or enter he would use oars.

Small remark:

Remember the battle of the Blackwater bay, the chapter with Davos as POV? Very nice description there of how another ship is rammed: You hit it, then you row BACKWARDS, so the ship you have hit can sink but are are still able to manouvre.

Archived