Jump to content
RobertF

How did Euron find Yara's fleet?

Recommended Posts

They overpowered Dany and now they need to even the odds which is why she's already lost Dorne and the Iron Islands within a day of landing on Dragonstone. The foreign invasion is not going so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2017 at 5:20 AM, snow is the man said:

wasn't everyone complaining that they didn't bump into eachother last week.

Absolutely. Last week it was stupid he didn't find them. This week it's stupid he did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2017 at 11:44 PM, RobertF said:

In the middle of the ocean, at night no less?

I'm assuming Yara was at sea, en route to Dorne and no longer anchored off of Dragonstone.

The other thing that bugged me is how quickly Euron could assemble a new fleet, and man it, after Yara took the bulk of the Greyjoy ships and seamen.

It is called unbelievably creative writing.

Well, Qyburn or "Q" as I call him, has been busy. He seems to have developed a cloning device for Lannister soldiers as well as apparently loned out a device that clones ships and Iron born to sail them as well. Unbelievable I know but that is how the show runners role

Edited by A Ghost of Someone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2017 at 5:20 AM, snow is the man said:

wasn't everyone complaining that they didn't bump into eachother last week.

 

1 hour ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Absolutely. Last week it was stupid he didn't find them. This week it's stupid he did. 

Last week, it was in Dragonstone and Blackwater Bay. It wasn't just about finding them, it was about Euron not taking an "empty" Dragonstone when he had enough men to take King's Landing.

This week, it's the entire ocean. Again, it's not about finding them, it's about finding the flagship with literally no commotion.

Either way, I'm happier with the second one rather than the first. At least, something happened!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone claiming magic, show Euron has never been presented as a guy using or even acknowledging magic to actually exist and at this point it's very clear that book and show characters are VERY different. It's not magic, it's not some spy in Dany's camp, it's just utter plot convenience because D and D are too stupid to actually have a valid way of hyping up Euron and Cersei as actual adversaries to Dany. (I also hate Dany, particulary in the show)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ice Walker said:

 

Last week, it was in Dragonstone and Blackwater Bay. It wasn't just about finding them, it was about Euron not taking an "empty" Dragonstone when he had enough men to take King's Landing.

This week, it's the entire ocean. Again, it's not about finding them, it's about finding the flagship with literally no commotion.

Either way, I'm happier with the second one rather than the first. At least, something happened!

You have no basis to conclude that the attack happened in the "entire ocean." It may well have been in the same narrow space you were co planning about last week. 

So many of the comolaints lodged here boil down to failing to appreciate the limitations of exposition in television  In a book you could have explained how he found them very easily--he had spies, he staked them out landing on Dragonstone and followed them when they left, etc.  Likewise, in a book, you could talk about how many ships were involved, how they were positioned, and how Euron got his ship next to Yara's.

But it's an hour long show. And it's not a show primarily focused on Euron's battle techniques  . So they don't shoot all the scenes to explain those techniques  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

You have no basis to conclude that the attack happened in the "entire ocean." It may well have been in the same narrow space you were co planning about last week. 

So many of the comolaints lodged here boil down to failing to appreciate the limitations of exposition in television  In a book you could have explained how he found them very easily--he had spies, he staked them out landing on Dragonstone and followed them when they left, etc.  Likewise, in a book, you could talk about how many ships were involved, how they were positioned, and how Euron got his ship next to Yara's.

But it's an hour long show. And it's not a show primarily focused on Euron's battle techniques  . So they don't shoot all the scenes to explain those techniques  

 

 

I told you that I wasn't complaining about the second part. I'm glad something happened even if it's illogical.

The hour-long show/can't explain plot points are moot the moment they spent so many minutes on Grey Worm-Missandei romance or Sam puking. A narrative exposition here and there would have been nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assumed he found them by being a remotely competent pirate/seaman with a basic working knowledge of local geography? Dany just sailed any entire fleet across the sea, something that will have been reported in a number of ports, they already know she is at Dragonstone/allied with Dorne so if he engages his brain he has a reasonable chance of guessing where the fleet may or may not be based purely on local geographical knowledge, general knowledge on maritime strategy and sailing techniques re: weather conditions.

As for the fleet size? He likely didn't lose his ENTIRE fleet, captured vessels and you could feasibly argue that the Lannisters provided him some ships from King's Landing, it's not implausible for him to have built a credible enough fleet for a lightening raid attack, despite the efforts of the British for example the Qawasim were able to recover quickly when their ships were destroyed and become operational again in a swift turnaround.

I'd be more concerned if Euron COULDN'T find them, he'd be grossly incompetent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same way Tyrion's raven made it Winterfell in seconds, same way Varys made it from Myreen to Dorne and back on Dany's ship in an episode or 2.  

 

D&D's theme seems to be that of which is not bothered by little details but let's throw some tits and some gore out there and that will make up for anything we screwed up.  

Edited by SerJeremiahLouistark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

The same way Tyrion's raven made it Winterfell in seconds, same way Varys made it from Myreen to Dorne and back on Dany's ship in an episode or 2.  

 

D&D's theme seems to be that of which is not bothered by little details but let's throw some tits and some gore out there and that will make up for anything we screwed up.  

It's also not in real time like 24, and I don't understand why everyone expects it to be that way.

Edited by ShadowKitteh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

The same way Tyrion's raven made it Winterfell in seconds, same way Varys made it from Myreen to Dorne and back on Dany's ship in an episode or 2.  

 

D&D's theme seems to be that of which is not bothered by little details but let's throw some tits and some gore out there and that will make up for anything we screwed up.  

Alternatively, D&D may think some of their viewers are able to discern that the running time of the show and the passage of time in the story are not the same. They might think the ones who lack this fine level of discernment would be happier watching BIg Bang Theory or NASCAR, in any event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus...This was a sea battle. Never mind TV bs, any captain or hell, oarsman, knows to keep lookouts and an entire fleet cannot hide behind mountains and other geography like they could on land. Also, this is MEDIEVAL sea battle and even today an entire fleet doesn't have enough speed to just zoom in without the other ships knowing for a direct attack.

To explain all this:

1. every lookout on every ship in the fleet would have to be blind AND Deaf which would beggar the question: Why make them lookouts?

2. Every Captain would have to be extremely stupid bordering on complete drooling idiocy.

3. Euron's ships would have to have a Klingon cloaking device

There is "Suspension of disbelief" and then there is "unable to suspend disbelief due to staggering, glaring idiocy".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2017 at 9:30 PM, Edward Riley said:

Jesus...This was a sea battle. Never mind TV bs, any captain or hell, oarsman, knows to keep lookouts and an entire fleet cannot hide behind mountains and other geography like they could on land. Also, this is MEDIEVAL sea battle and even today an entire fleet doesn't have enough speed to just zoom in without the other ships knowing for a direct attack.

To explain all this:

1. every lookout on every ship in the fleet would have to be blind AND Deaf which would beggar the question: Why make them lookouts?

2. Every Captain would have to be extremely stupid bordering on complete drooling idiocy.

3. Euron's ships would have to have a Klingon cloaking device

There is "Suspension of disbelief" and then there is "unable to suspend disbelief due to staggering, glaring idiocy".

And same goes for Euron's fleet sneaking up on the ships that ferried the Unsullied to Casterly Rock IN BROAD DAYLIGHT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×