so is that the only time we will see nymeria?

snow is the man

It's a call back to season one, when Ned says that when she grows up she's going to be married to a lord and she'll be the lady of his castle, and she says "that's not me." Her saying "that's not you" is a realization that living in Winterfell as her pet dire wolf isn't the life for Nymeria. Nymeria has spent most of her life out in the wild running with a pack of wolves. She can never again go back to living in the confines of a castle surrounded by humans. Nymeria has her life in the wilds, and can never go back to the way it was, no more than Arya can put on a dress and become the lady of a castle.

1 hour ago, Bear Claw said:

What is going on with this scene? Has anyone seen the Inside the Episode? Once again I watch the show and I was glad Arya decided to go back home and then I read this article which talks about foreshadowing for Arya. Now I am totally confused about where Arya's going.

EW Article GOT  Maisie Williams Direwolf

Bryan Cogman:

"She’s gathered this pack of wolves and is now doing the Old Gods’ work herself."

Then he says:

"They can’t go back to the way things were. And that might be foreshadowing for Arya too."

Neither Stark or DIrewolf can go back to being ruled by anyone. Nym is a Queen of wolves and has responsibilities to think of. She is doing her duty in her new life. 

Maisie:

"Nymeria has created her own world and created her own pack and isn’t ready to be Arya’s pet. To be someone’s pet would reverse everything she’s learned." 

2 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

It's a call back to season one, when Ned says that when she grows up she's going to be married to a lord and she'll be the lady of his castle, and she says "that's not me." Her saying "that's not you" is a realization that living in Winterfell as her pet dire wolf isn't the life for Nymeria. Nymeria has spent most of her life out in the wild running with a pack of wolves. She can never again go back to living in the confines of a castle surrounded by humans. Nymeria has her life in the wilds, and can never go back to the way it was, no more than Arya can put on a dress and become the lady of a castle.

This.......

I don't know if I should be feeling intellectually inferior, or if I should praise you for your clairvoyance in immediately recognizing a call back to a not so memorable line from season 1, and thus putting Arya's character development in perspective, taking into account her metaphorical and spiritual connection to her former pet direwolf.

39 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Yep.

That was Nymeria being written out.

Or not killed off? The budget department will find some extra coins for something in S8. Her return at the most opportune moment is so obvious. 

Arya & Nymeria are equals. No master or pet. 

^^ I agree.  We've had no mention of Nymeria for five seasons - she isn't a loose end in the TV series. I don't think there was any need for this scene unless she and her pack are deux ex wolfpack later (possibly season 8).  We know GRRM has mentioned Chekhov's wolf pack - I'm sure it'll figure later so they've shoe-horned the pack in now.

I'd say that it is possible. Not probable, but it's possible. I'd say that the inclusion of this scene can be interpreted in two ways:

1) The huge pack of wolves will be reused in a future episode in time of need, this is just an introduction of the pack, so it won't be that surprising when the wolves come.

2) Nymeria being the only direwolf whose fate is unknown, D&D decided to go back to one of the last bits of books remaining and show that Nymeria is well and alive while Arya is travelling throught lands where she left Nymeria seasons ago. That "that's not you" line can be then seen as farewell when Arya acknowledges that Nymeria has her own life and that she has to let her go.

7 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

I am confused by that scene.  Really the end when she says 'that's no you'.

But that was Nymeria right?  

Being a house dog, that's not you, Nymeria has her own life, like Arya told Ned in season 1 when he told her she would marry a Lord, she said "that's not me" being a pet isn't Nymeria anymore, that's not her.

it confused me too until I watched the D&D explanation after the show. And quite honestly, it's just another pointless scene.  Unless your just trying for some symbolic irony with Arya's character arc coming full circle.  

Archived