so is that the only time we will see nymeria?

snow is the man

Pardon my cynicism but my take is:

The budget is already strained even with the reduction in episodes. We didn't see Ghost, either, who is alive and well. You think that Jon would at least take Ghost with him given Davos' age and only one effective hand.

This way they can go, "Here's the direwolf! Have some closure! And now... gone forever!"

Same reason that Shaggydog and Summer met quite anticlimactic ends.

22 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

It's a call back to season one, when Ned says that when she grows up she's going to be married to a lord and she'll be the lady of his castle, and she says "that's not me." Her saying "that's not you" is a realization that living in Winterfell as her pet dire wolf isn't the life for Nymeria. Nymeria has spent most of her life out in the wild running with a pack of wolves. She can never again go back to living in the confines of a castle surrounded by humans. Nymeria has her life in the wilds, and can never go back to the way it was, no more than Arya can put on a dress and become the lady of a castle.

Agree, great explanation. 

Does anyone think that line works if they don't remember this specific line from Season 1?  Even then, it's so awkward and unnatural sounding.  Arya should have said nothing at all.  

If Nymeria isn't shown again, then I'd say this was incredibly pointless and a waste of time.  Why show her at all if it's just to say she has no feelings for Arya?  Ok, nice to see you too Nymeria.  

15 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Does anyone think that line works if they don't remember this specific line from Season 1?  Even then, it's so awkward and unnatural sounding.  Arya should have said nothing at all.  

If Nymeria isn't shown again, then I'd say this was incredibly pointless and a waste of time.  Why show her at all if it's just to say she has no feelings for Arya?  Ok, nice to see you too Nymeria.  

Nymeria clearly had feelings for Arya. Look at Nymeria's body language. That was one unhappy dire wolf as it pawed away. There's a difference, though, between not caring for someone, and realizing that your place isn't with them. 

And I appreciated the scene. I would've been annoyed if we'd never seen or heard from Nymeria again. Instead, we got a nice little scene wrapping up Nymeria's place in the story as well as informing us about Arya's character. Nymeria has found her place in the world with her pack, and now Arya is off to find her place in the world with her family.

I certainly appreciated that scene far more than the pointless "sex" scene between Grey Worm and Missandei. >_>

2 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

Nymeria clearly had feelings for Arya. Look at Nymeria's body language. That was one unhappy dire wolf as it pawed away. There's a difference, though, between not caring for someone, and realizing that your place isn't with them. 

And I appreciated the scene. I would've been annoyed if we'd never seen or heard from Nymeria again. Instead, we got a nice little scene wrapping up Nymeria's place in the story as well as informing us about Arya's character. Nymeria has found her place in the world with her pack, and now Arya is off to find her place in the world with her family.

I certainly appreciated that scene far more than the pointless "sex" scene between Grey Worm and Missandei. >_>

Well said. It was actually a very poignant scene for arya's character arc, but because it had a lot more subtlety about it than most GoT scenes, many are dismissing it as "pointless" when it was far from that.

1 hour ago, Thor Odinson said:

Well unhappy is the thing.  She would be happy seeing Arya again if she cared.  Even if she couldn't stay with her.  But instead it was just recognition and then instant rejection.  

On 7/23/2017 at 10:56 PM, snow is the man said:

I have to believe it won't be but if we only see her that once I think it's ridiculous and a waste.

Nymeria is a classic Chekhov's Gun.  There is no way they would have gone through the trouble of this scene if Nymeria weren't to figure in the plot later.  I agree with those who say Nymeria's pack will rescue Aria from the brink of death.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:56 PM, snow is the man said:

I have to believe it won't be but if we only see her that once I think it's ridiculous and a waste.

No. I think Nymeria and her pack will shadow Arya as she travels north and will likely be near when Arya has need of help. I think they will play a role in the fight against the Army of the dead.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was added in to spite those calling for more of the direwolves. "Here you go, here is a direwolf and a Stark. Except she can't give a shit about the character she is supposed to be bonded to and leaves." It shouldn't be much of a surprise given how Arya and Nymeria's connection has been treated throughout the series. Even if they needed them to go their separate ways for budgetary reasons or whatever, they could at least made Nym happy to see Arya.

On 7/24/2017 at 2:18 AM, HellasLEAF said:

I am confused by that scene.  Really the end when she says 'that's no you'.

But that was Nymeria right?  

It means that Nymeria is not a domesticated animal.

She is the leader of a large wolf pack.

Going back to WF, with Arya would mean giving up her current life, for one that"is not her"

Nymeria will likely have a role to play going forward, but it may not be until the WW start attacking.

I'm not sure.  It's a good question.  It does seem as if the show, for budgetary reasons, basically decided to completely cut out the direwolves from the story.  It sucks but it's understandable.  From that perspective, it would seem that would be the last we saw of Nymeria and the show was just providing some closure and a callback to it as it winds down.

Having said all that, it does seem a bit unnecessary if it was just a one-off.  Why even do the callback at all?  I could definitely see Nymeria appearing later on in the "final fight" when the Others probably make it to the Riverlands.  

Warging in the show really has not been a focal point (other than Bran).

Without Warging, the direwolves really are not that special.  Combine that with the fact that the CGI is very expensive, i can see why they cut out most of the direwolves.

Archived