The real reason euron was able to sneak up on yara.

snow is the man

21 minutes ago, twilight said:

The Fireballs are firey stuff shot from catapults, right? No reason to read too much into that. ;)

Can you elaborate the "Storm clouds following his ship"?

look when he is pulling away at the end. The clouds seem to follow the ship. It's from the books as well. I was never a fan of euron so I didn't follow it well

5 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

look when he is pulling away at the end. The clouds seem to follow the ship. It's from the books as well. I was never a fan of euron so I didn't follow it well

Just had another look. For me it looks like a dark night with bad weather before, during and after the attack. There is also black smoke from the ships moving through the air. But nothing special about that.

I mean I don't doubt what you say. Actually... I skipped through the iron born chapters of the last two books, I was too bored. But hey, why not magic of some sort. I just don't recognize it in the show.

But thanks for saying. I will keep an eye open for that.

1 minute ago, twilight said:

Just had another look. For me it looks like a dark night with bad weather before, during and after the attack. There is also black smoke from the ships moving through the air. But nothing special about that.

I mean I don't doubt what you say. Actually... I skipped through the iron born chapters of the last two books, I was too bored. But hey, why not magic of some sort. I just don't recognize it in the show.

But thanks for saying. I will keep an eye open for that.

yeah in the books most of the stuff about euron was in a feast for crows and while I have reread the books several times I have only read feast once and then gone back later on and read certain chapters

3 hours ago, Edward Riley said:

No way outside Magic could another fleet take one by surprise. Every captain in Asha's fleet, including Asha herself, would have to be afflicted with Downs Syndrome.

And the "fire" is obviously "Greek Fire". It can't be put out with water, only sand. Water actually makes it spread faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

kinda ironic since martin based wildfire on greek fire

If you see the episode in HD, you can clearly make out that the Silence comes out of a storm - clouds part for it and there is lighting in the sky behind it and over Euron's fleet. There is no storm near Yara's fleet at the time. As Theon watches it sail away, Euron's fleet does not go back into a storm - the storm has gone entirely.

So, a convenient storm did enable Euron's ambush of Yara. Whether the weather could hide a fleet or not, I'll leave others to debate - but there was definitely a Euron centric storm around his fleet before the battle.

6 hours ago, Edward Riley said:

No way outside Magic could another fleet take one by surprise. Every captain in Asha's fleet, including Asha herself, would have to be afflicted with Downs Syndrome.

And the "fire" is obviously "Greek Fire". It can't be put out with water, only sand. Water actually makes it spread faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

Please clarify why you think people with Downs Syndrome cannot see properly or is this just a terrible attempt at humor?

Idiot.

13 hours ago, Edward Riley said:

Thanks, heh. I never thought of that.

Greek Fire is an interesting add though. A formula they had in the Dark Ages, yet we haven't "rediscovered" it.

it's essentially oil from the ground. That was what was really special about it. They added other stuff of course but that was what made it work so well.

12 hours ago, ummester said:

If you see the episode in HD, you can clearly make out that the Silence comes out of a storm - clouds part for it and there is lighting in the sky behind it and over Euron's fleet. There is no storm near Yara's fleet at the time. As Theon watches it sail away, Euron's fleet does not go back into a storm - the storm has gone entirely.

So, a convenient storm did enable Euron's ambush of Yara. Whether the weather could hide a fleet or not, I'll leave others to debate - but there was definitely a Euron centric storm around his fleet before the battle.

Also Maybe I am missing something but I only saw what ten ships or less. If it was only a handful of ships at night and a magic storm then I can believe it.

Euron was able to attack with similar sails, in Darkness, find her ship out of and entire fleet due to the writing for the show. Not reallistic. Sort of like the Vale army being parked at Moat Cailin last year and advancing on Winterfell and Ramsay and the Boltons had no clue, despite Moat Cailin is the gateway to the North for any Army of any size.

Just for the record Euron does not hide in clouds in the books.  He has actually shown 0 magic thus far.  The only things he has done is sail away from land and then back in so as to ambush people, and given Vic the dragon horn which he got from the worlocks of Qarth.  He also hired the faceless men with a dragon egg to kill Balon.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:53 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Euron was able to attack with similar sails, in Darkness, find her ship out of and entire fleet due to the writing for the show. Not reallistic. Sort of like the Vale army being parked at Moat Cailin last year and advancing on Winterfell and Ramsay and the Boltons had no clue, despite Moat Cailin is the gateway to the North for any Army of any size.

Why assume they didn't know and would oppose the Vale Army presence?  

Iirc, the Vale army was at Moat shortly after Sansa escaped and shortly before Roose was killed.  Roose and Baelish had a tentative alliance and the Vale Army at Moat would protect the North from the South.  The Lannister Army was just in Riverrun putting down the Blackfish with the Frey army. which isn't too far away all things considered.

While the Bolton's army recovers from fighting Stanis (or if they came up during that fight even better from the Bolton perspective) the Vale Army fortifies the Kingsroad at a strategic location.  The Vale could even tell the Bolton's they're coming to assist in the fights vs the Wildling Army and march to Winterfell w/support if needed.  Possibly the Vale army could get provisioned along the way if Baelish worked Ramsey well enough.

Tbh, it would have been better if they had shown this and have Baelish double cross Ramsey unexpectedly.

There was a storm w/Euron's fleet.  Given how dark it was on the decks it appeared to be a new moon.   The use of Sails reduces the noise and along with the storm would have made it difficult to hear them coming.  If Yara's ships used Laterns etc. so they could see one another to prevent them from running into each other, then Euron could have used that as a point of reference to attack.  

Though I agree with others having the commanding ship exposed was bad plotting f(or budget reason I suspect).

I'm going to guess that seeing as the fleet left Dragonstone and Euron's fleet left Kings Landing they were both pretty close to each other. There's no much room in the bay that Dragonstone im sits in. Plus Euronext knew they were there as Cersei knew Danny had landed there.

So hunting down a big fleet you know is there and just so happens tonnevsailing at night lit up like a Christmas tree with torches shouldn't be too difficult. Yara's fleet were to confident  and careless. To sail that close to the capital as you must to cross the bay and fully lit up like that is asking to get your arse smacked. 

Archived