Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

Calibandar

Discussion continued..

Awesome trailer for Thor 3. Three money shots IMO:

1) Hulk and Surtur. Surtur looks fantastic.

2) Thor lit up by lightning.

3) Banter between Hulk and Thor, very amusing

I might include the shot of the Fenris Wolf as well. Hopefully the Midgard serpent is in there as well.

This looks excellent. Overshadows the Justice League trailer significantly.

3 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Discussion continued..

Awesome trailer for Thor 3. Three money shots IMO:

1) Hulk and Surtur. Surtur looks fantastic.

2) Thor lit up by lighting.

3) Banter between Hulk and Thor, very amusing

I might include the shot of the Fenris Wolf as well. Hopefully the Midgar serpent is in there as well.

This looks excellent. Overshadows the Justice League trailer significantly.

Agree on this. They are worlds apart in making me anticipate their respective movies. Thought last Thor trailer was great. It has a coherent style, appears to have a story that makes sense, isn't just a bunch of stuff thrown at the screen hoping something works, has genuine chemistry between characters and above all it seems to be fun. The exact opposite of the JL trailer.

Don't know about that. Infinity War looks bigger still, it has Thanos, and his Black Order, plus a massive array of powerful characters who they'll struggle to fit in. That still looks like a significantly bigger event film than Thor 3 to me.

Does anyone know if Runaways is part of the MCU? I'd assumed it was, but it's not that far off and I hadn't seen much discussion of it so I looked into it......can't find any confirmation anywhere. The 'Marvel's Runaways' title would imply it is, as they don't stick the prefix on, say, Legion.

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Does anyone know if Runaways is part of the MCU? I'd assumed it was, but it's not that far off and I hadn't seen much discussion of it so I looked into it......can't find any confirmation anywhere. The 'Marvel's Runaways' title would imply it is, as they don't stick the prefix on, say, Legion.

I'm not sure but lets be honest none of the TV shows are actually part of the MCU. 

Every thor vs Hulk fight ever

There are a lot of them but few come out with a conclusive result. So as I suspected, Mjolnir is the deciding factor in those few conclusive fights. Which means in the movie, without having Mjolnir as his advantage at any point Hulk should have the edge. Put perhaps smoldering fire > raging fire when it comes to battle arena tactics. 

Hearing summaries of those Hulk vs Thor fights really brings home how OP Thor is. Really, in Avengers 1 Thor could have handled the entire Chtauri invasion, it just would have taken a wee bit longer.

I wonder...Could we see Stormbreaker in Ragnarok? Or is the image of Beta Ray Bill on the building at the start of the trailer just an homage with no actual larger meaning for the MCU? The other images seem to be of Ares, Man Thing and someone else. But I think with Wonder Woman's main villain being Ares in her first movie the MCU won't bring us any of the Greek Pantheon any time soon.

2 hours ago, The Wolves said:

I hope Thor gets Mjolnir back. I want to see Steve pick up the hammer before Chris E hangs up the shield and suit for good. 

Already happened in Avengers 2. He pretended he couldn't lift it to avoid upsetting Thor.

If Anthony Hopkins Odin dies, does Chris Hemsworth become Odin, thus meaning Thor can be recast but Hemsworth remains part of the MCU but only makes occasional appearances in the role of Odin? Paving the way for a woman to be deemed worthy to wield Mjolnir. And is Valkyrie being set up to possibly be that worthy person?

Sif must be a little bit pissed at not being the premier female badass of Asgard. Has she been poisoned by having appeared in Agents of Shield and is now persona non grata, because MCTverse and MCU must never cross streams?

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If Anthony Hopkins Odin dies, does Chris Hemsworth become Odin, thus meaning Thor can be recast but Hemsworth remains part of the MCU but only makes occasional appearances in the role of Odin? Paving the way for a woman to be deemed worthy to wield Mjolnir. And is Valkyrie being set up to possibly be that worthy person?

Sif must be a little bit pissed at not being the premier female badass of Asgard. Has she been poisoned by having appeared in Agents of Shield and is now persona non grata, because MCTverse and MCU must never cross streams?

Hope not. I'd rather have a Beta Ray Bill!

8 hours ago, The Wolves said:

I hope Thor gets Mjolnir back. I want to see Steve pick up the hammer before Chris E hangs up the shield and suit for good. 

I hope he gets it back as well. Probably towards the end of the film as their stated goal for this film was to make life difficult for him, so that he has to rely on wits and friendship rather than power. That arc of his character could then be resolved towards the end of the film by him obtaining a new Mjolnir.

Regarding Mjolnir:

He doesn't seem to have it when the Guardians find him in the Infinity War trailer, but there are set photos with him using it from the filming of Avengers 3 & 4. Since they're filming both at the same time it's possible he may not get it back until Avengers 4.  Maybe through some reality gem shenanigans?

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Regarding Mjolnir:

Hide contents

He doesn't seem to have it when the Guardians find him in the Infinity War trailer, but there are set photos with him using it from the filming of Avengers 3 & 4. Since they're filming both at the same time it's possible he may not get it back until Avengers 4.  Maybe through some reality gem shenanigans?

Sounds like a solid enough theory.

22 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Hope not. I'd rather have a Beta Ray Bill!

Ugh. Please, no Beta Ray Bill in the MCU. Also, please no Valkyrie replacing Jane Foster as Thor either. MCU should just pull a Rhoadie and recast another actress as Jane Foster.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 1:09 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

Or maybe having her memory wiped blind and body spotted in tattoos bumped her off the list.

On 26/07/2017 at 6:09 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

Maybe they can get Mr Wednesday in if Hopkins Odin dies?

Tessa Thompson seems to be popping up in a few things lately which is great as far as I'm concerned. I hope they make good use of her as Valkyrie and if they ever did go the route of a new "thor" she could work. I think have someone else have the title of Thor could be a good transition phase for when Hemsworth leaves the role (in much the same way as they could have winter soldier/falcon be Captain americs). Have someone else be Thor for a film or just have them as an Avenger and then bring Thor back as Thor. It bugs me that the comics set it up so whoever wielded Mjolnir got the title (merely for brand recognition). From my shaky knowledge of Norse Mythology (currenty being increased via Gaiman) Thor is Thor and his hammer came along after he was Thor. So they could call the person with Mjolnir "Mjolnir-man/woman" or "Valyrie/Jane/MODOK : God of Thunder" if they wanted the hammer to be key. Again I realise it's very clever branding to do it the way it has been done but it just feels a bit strained and illogical to me.

Archived