Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

Calibandar

Just watched it and I enjoyed it. It's very funny and fans of Taika Waititi will be missing out if they skip it because it's a big budget superhero film. His humour shines through and it's probably closer in tone to the "team Thor" short than any of the Marvel films.

I thought the ending was clever - it seems like Marvel has listened to criticism regarding their samey endings as Strange, GOTG2 and Ragnarok have all mixed it up and this one makes a lot of sense.

Despite my initial fears this was going to be Planet Hulk feat. Thor it really wasn't the case at all. Besides an arena and some characters from the comic there's very little focus on that story. In general Hulk is very much treated as a side-kick which is good for Thor. I was disappointed with Banner's role in the film though - the character and Ruffalo felt a bit off throughout. Hulk was fun but as others have mentioned, virtually all of his scenes have been shown in promo footage which is a shame.

Despite the stakes of the film the humour does make it all feel a bit inconsequential but I guess that's the price you pay when having jokes that openly mock superhero dramatics. I think it was worth it but I'd still rate it lower than GOTG but much higher than Dr Strange (whose appearance actually reminded me of how unlikeable the character is).

Seeing the Black Panther trailer on the big screen was something else though. That looks jaw dropping.

I liked it a lot. It was painfully obvious from the start that the writers had a problem with including Loki into the good guys bunch, while at the same time maintaining his "charming scumbag" vibe, but other than that I didn't have a problem with the story. It really was funny, especially Thor's interactions with Bruce and Korg. I enjoyed a scene with Dr. Strange, I was surprised to see Matt Damon playing Actor Loki and Sam Neill Actor Odin and had no idea Korg was portrayed by Waitiki himself. I'd rate it higher than Dr. Strange as well.

5 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

I was surprised to see Matt Damon playing Actor Loki and Sam Neill Actor Odin

Movie's not out here yet, can you explain this? It's just got me really curious and I don't mind spoilers. 

@RumHamWhen Thor first arrives to Asgard, Loki is still disguised as Odin and there is a play in front of his court, which depicts "Loki's heroic death in his brother's arms". The actor playing Loki in that play is Matt Damon. And Thor is played by Luke Hemsworth.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:05 AM, The Knight of Flours said:

I'd seen a review where they said Cate's performance wasn't that great but I thought she was perfect.

Before I start my reply, just to say that I will use every given opportunity to discuss and reiterate how brilliant Cate is :D

Now, the thing with Cate is that she is extraordinarily theatrical. But, where most actors who are theatrical on big screen get too expressive to the point where it is just bad acting, Blanchett with surgical precision uses her skill. That is why she slays in role like this ("Cinderella" is another example of it). Plus, she doesn't shy away of showing how much she enjoys what she does. The "behind the scene" videos of Battle of Five Armies really nicely show us how Cate enjoyed working with Sir Ian and Jackson. She is brilliant in what comes so difficult for most people. And that is why she is the greatest actress of her generation :wub:

I can't wait to see her Hela and to relish every second of that performance. I am so happy people like it and I hope her son will be proven right and that this helps her career :D 

I over-exposed myself to the Thor Trailers and would have benefited from not seeing at least half of what I saw. But I think that while the trailers contained most of the action they still kept the arc of the story and of course the ending completely obscured from the audience. There was still a helluva lot that the trailers did not reveal at all, and even to some extent misdirected the audience.

There were a few "inside" jokes in this movie that perhaps only NZ and Aus people would get. I wonder if they flew past people outside these audiences without any notice? The movie seems to have played pretty well with audiences so far with the international box office getting off to a very good start.

Valkyrie is such an arse kicker, I wonder if they can somehow weave her into Captain Marvel. Sure, she's been on Sakaar for quite some time, but perhaps she spent a bit of time wandering around being a bit of a space mercenary too. 

I look forward to seeing it a second time.

On 10/29/2017 at 4:44 AM, red snow said:

Despite the stakes of the film the humour does make it all feel a bit inconsequential but I guess that's the price you pay when having jokes that openly mock superhero dramatics. I think it was worth it but I'd still rate it lower than GOTG but much higher than Dr Strange (whose appearance actually reminded me of how unlikeable the character is).

Seeing the Black Panther trailer on the big screen was something else though. That looks jaw dropping.

I dunno, the ending scene felt pretty full of consequence to me. And then the first post credits scene seemed like something pretty significant was about to happen.

I felt in the end the balance between comedy and drama was pretty good. But I do want to see it again to see how it sits on repeat viewing. I enjoyed Homecoming, and GOTG2 more on second viewing. 

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Exactly, it ended with as big of a status quo change for Thor, Loki and Asgard as it could get.

Spoiler

Maybe they'll change the name of their society to Quarian.

Mass Effect reference in case anyone is wondering.

There probably weren't as many tears being shed as there should be, seemed more like resignation.

1 hour ago, The Knight of Flours said:

I wondered if the US would need subtitles for Korg's lines lol

Do we know if they haven't done this? Only US critics have seen the movie so far in the USA and they probably wouldn't mention subtitles for Korg's dialogue in their reviews. US board members please report once you see it.

Another thing I wonder about is how does the NZ accent play with audiences? It's hard to know how others perceive it. For me it's somewhat jarring hearing my own accent pop up in a context where it does not normally appear, even when I know its coming. In this case Taika kind of accentuated the accent by also giving Korg a vocal tone that would be unexpected from a monster made of stone. In other situations (such as some of the LOTR and Hobbit actors) the NZ accent is deliberately toned down and is less noticeable.

Ouch. Saw Thor Ragnarok last night and I simply didn't see coming that it would be such a shit film.

We were looking at each other astounded for the first 15 minutes of the film. Is this a spoof of a Thor film? Will it get better? Surely at some point it has to get more serious and focus more on the story and events than on taking the piss and laughing at Thor?

Damn. What a massive wasted opportunity. It genuinely seems like a film made by someone who hates Thor and the Thor franchise. It's a mockery. It also failed to be funny, this Waititi guy has a poor sense of humor. I never need to see another film from him again.

Even towards the end when it was supposed to get going it remained uninspiring. I did not care for Blanchett as another generic Marvel villain, she really hammed it up. Her "army of the dead" was the most obvious form of cannon fodder and thus seeing Thor mow down rows and rows of dead makes no impact at all on a viewer. This director had no idea what to do with Loki, he was never more useless than he is here. You simply cannot believe that he was a powerful antagonist in Avengers 1 when you look at how he is portrayed here.

A special award to the Valkyrie girl  with the "I'm so cool" look on her face, the heavy drinker gal. She was deeply annoying in every scene that she was in. Did she at any point look as if she could actually fight and could have been a valkyrie? Nope, she looked like a little brat. Even the Hulk looked worse than he did in previous films, a different sort of character and a different look due to the CGI. Heimdall in a new role was also very average. And unfortunately Odin is hardly in the film, and the way his story was "resolved" was sudden and deeply unsatisfying.

All in all a clear mistake by Marcel to give this property to someone who's main intent was to be "different" and who simply wanted to do a Thor satire. My rating: 2 stars out of 10. This guy threw the baby out with the bathwater.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Ouch. Saw Thor Ragnarok last night and I simply didn't see coming that it would be such a shit film.

We were looking at each other astounded for the first 15 minutes of the film. Is this a spoof of a Thor film? Will it get better? Surely at some point it has to get more serious and focus more on the story and events than on taking the piss and laughing at Thor?

Damn. What a massive wasted opportunity. It genuinely seems like a film made by someone who hates Thor and the Thor franchise. It's a mockery. It also failed to be funny, this Waititi guy has a poor sense of humor. I never need to see another film from him again.

Even towards the end when it was supposed to get going it remained uninspiring. I did not care for Blanchett as another generic Marvel villain, she really hammed it up. Her "army of the dead" was the most obvious form of cannon fodder and thus seeing Thor mow down rows and rows of dead makes no impact at all on a viewer. This director had no idea what to do with Loki, he was never more useless than he is here. You simply cannot believe that he was a powerful antagonist in Avengers 1 when you look at how he is portrayed here.

A special award to the Valkyrie girl  with the "I'm so cool" look on her face, the heavy drinker gal. She was deeply annoying in every scene that she was in. Did she at any point look as if she could actually fight and could have been a valkyrie? Nope, she looked like a little brat. Even the Hulk looked worse than he did in previous films, a different sort of character and a different look due to the CGI. Heimdall in a new role was also very average. And unfortunately Odin is hardly in the film, and the way his story was "resolved" was sudden and deeply unsatisfying.

All in all a clear mistake by Marcel to give this property to someone who's main intent was to be "different" and who simply wanted to do a Thor satire. My rating: 2 stars out of 10. This guy threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Ooooh. Thats a bit of a shame. I haven't seen it yet, I'm king of avoiding it as I think I'm done with loud bright CGIfests. But I could imagine that the movie could have gone either. Its a fine line between not taking itself too seriously and just being a lame unfunny jokeathon to cover a lack of drama. 

Thats basically how I view a lot of the Guardians of the Galaxy moments, some occasionally funny moments, but mostly just tumbleweed humour and loud flashy colours. I'm not sure I'd want to see more of that.

So see my disappointment when I saw the black panther trailer and it looked like more of the same!

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

this Waititi guy has a poor sense of humor. I never need to see another film from him again.

You lost me there. What We do in the Shadows was hilarious. Every other review I've read of Ragnorok agrees it's at least funny. 

1 hour ago, Eggegg said:

Ooooh. Thats a bit of a shame. I haven't seen it yet, I'm king of avoiding it as I think I'm done with loud bright CGIfests. But I could imagine that the movie could have gone either. Its a fine line between not taking itself too seriously and just being a lame unfunny jokeathon to cover a lack of drama. 

Thats basically how I view a lot of the Guardians of the Galaxy moments, some occasionally funny moments, but mostly just tumbleweed humour and loud flashy colours. I'm not sure I'd want to see more of that.

So see my disappointment when I saw the black panther trailer and it looked like more of the same!

The second Guardians film gave me a lot of the same feelings as this Thor shitfest, lots and lots of cringeworthy jokes. It turned into a very dull film unfortunately, as the drama surrounding Kurt Russell's "Ego" just got ever more ridiculous and out of bounds.

But this film is more of a spoof, a deliberate anti-Thor movie. The characters don't take themselves seriously in any way, and also from their actions they are hard to take seriously as well. Some woeful acting by Mark Ruffalo as well in this one, which I had never seen before, I usually think he's alright. I saw Leaf state upthread that this director has no reverence for this genre and I think that's a correct but very mild way of putting it.

15 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

The second Guardians film gave me a lot of the same feelings as this Thor shitfest, lots and lots of cringeworthy jokes. It turned into a very dull film unfortunately, as the drama surrounding Kurt Russell's "Ego" just got ever more ridiculous and out of bounds.

But this film is more of a spoof, a deliberate anti-Thor movie. The characters don't take themselves seriously in any way, and also from their actions they are hard to take seriously as well. Some woeful acting by Mark Ruffalo as well in this one, which I had never seen before, I usually think he's alright. I saw Leaf state upthread that this director has no reverence for this genre and I think that's a correct but very mild way of putting it.

I mean Thor 2 is a possibly the worst Marvel movie of the bunch and its a humourless black hole. So I can see why they went the way they did. Thor is a tricky property because its pretty silly as a concept and if it takes itself seriously then it could be pretty bad. I'm one of those people who thought the amazon stuff in Wonder Woman didn't work at all due to its lack of humour and straightfaced-ness. 

I did like the first Thor movie however, it had a sort of grand theatricality to it that made it work quite well. 

Planet Hulk is a silly storyline however, hard to take seriously (not sure how much of this movie is based on that) and so you expect it to be more cartoonish and over the top. 

But then it would have to be actually funny for it to work. The clips I've seen so far have Hemsworth joking about in a way that seems completely out of character. Thor jokes work best when he is pompous and ignorant that people are laughing at him. 

56 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

I mean Thor 2 is a possibly the worst Marvel movie of the bunch and its a humourless black hole.

It's really not humorless. I went and re-watched it about a year ago and was surprised at how funny it was. Here somebody apparently edited all the jokes together:

Still a weak movie, but I chuckled a few times. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's really not humorless. I went and re-watched it about a year ago and was surprised at how funny it was. Here somebody apparently edited all the jokes together:

Still a weak movie, but I chuckled a few times. 

..funny moments?!

On 29/10/2017 at 10:34 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I dunno, the ending scene felt pretty full of consequence to me. And then the first post credits scene seemed like something pretty significant was about to happen.

I felt in the end the balance between comedy and drama was pretty good. But I do want to see it again to see how it sits on repeat viewing. I enjoyed Homecoming, and GOTG2 more on second viewing. 

I didn't mean my comment to come off as nothing of consequence happened but that doesn't stop it from feeling inconsequential. Sticking a big moment as a post credits scene highlights that. When you have characters constanly mocking the genre it feels like nothing of weight occurs. An example that doesn't even involve the humour is

how Thor's little gang of asgardians are killed off as if they were redshirts and I don't recall Thor ever being upset about their deaths (even when he wouldn't be aware of it until the end of the film). Those 3 dying were ultimately inconsequential as no-one within the film gave a shit about their death.

Don't get me wrong - I've yet to watch a Marvel film where I'm bored while watching them but increasingly I'm finding no reason to watch them again. Which is absolutely fine for a popcorn film and 2 hours of entertainment. But a week after seeing Blader Runner 2049 I'm still thinking about that film. I'm not really thinking about the deeper ramifications of Thor - other than it was a fun watch.

Archived