Marvel Cinematic General Discussion 7

Calibandar

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

They introduced the Lady Death plot in his very first scene; it just didn't mean anything to anyone who didn't already know what it is.

I was aware of that because I read about it after that scene, otherwise it passed me by, as well. So question for the more knowledgeable here: is there any connection between Lady Death and Hela?

52 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Okay... can someone explain to me the difference between Lady Death and Hela the aspect of Death?

Hela is the goddess of the Asgardian afterlife. She rules Hel, and is responsible for the souls it houses and that belong there. If she doesn't do her job spirits don't find rest.

Lady Death is an manifestation of Death, the cosmic entity/force. She/It is as old as the universe, and without Her/Them nothing in the universe can die or decay. She's generally pretty enigmatic, and rarely talks to anyone (I think it's just Deadpool, and he is kind of insane.) So Thanos has kind of taken it upon himself to impress her, it's unclear what she wants, but she has resurrected him a few times, so might be into it.

I'd actually love it if at the end of Infinity War Thanos became the actual ruler and overlord of Earth. He starts out by taking down the USA as the economic powerhouse of the world. Within the first 5 minutes of the movie the US capitulates and surrenders, like France in WW2. The rest of the world follows suit, like the rest of continental Europe in WW2, and Wakanda becomes the last hold out, and is where all the Avengers who are still on earth congregate for a last stand. At the end of IW, Wakanda is overrun and all surviving Avengers beat a hasty retreat to space. Thanos has all the Infinity Stones from Earth, but still needs to secure the Reality Stone. So he leaves Earth under the rule of the Black Order, and goes off to track down the last stone.

15 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Hela is the goddess of the Asgardian afterlife. She rules Hel, and is responsible for the souls it houses and that belong there. If she doesn't do her job spirits don't find rest.

Lady Death is an manifestation of Death, the cosmic entity/force. She/It is as old as the universe, and without Her/Them nothing in the universe can die or decay. She's generally pretty enigmatic, and rarely talks to anyone (I think it's just Deadpool, and he is kind of insane.) So Thanos has kind of taken it upon himself to impress her, it's unclear what she wants, but she has resurrected him a few times, so might be into it.

And I think Thanos' fascination with death is because he's basically and unemo Goth deep down, who has never felt like he belonged not had any real emotional connections with anyone, and somewhat yearns for death himself. And that's why his first and only emotional connection and feeling of love is for Lady Death. According to wiki there have been times when Thanos has been rather upset at the notion that he would not die. At one point he was "cursed" with immortality. But for most people, at least initially, they would think immortality is a blessing. I think after the first few thousand years anyone with immortality would be driven insane with boredom. Which is probably why people like Ego, The Game Master and the Collector all come across in various ways as totes cray cray. And Thanos as well.

But all that doesn't really gel, at face value, with this notion of bringing balance to the universe (from the trailer). Unless balance means extinguishing all life, because a universe without life is somehow balanced in Thanos' mind.

It is interesting that at different times in the comics Thanos has been almost a good guy. I wonder if the MCU is going to kill Thanos outright, or if in his defeat (in Avengers 4 I presume) he is merely going to become a diminished threat, but be woven in and out of the next 20 movies as somewhat of an anti-hero. Sometimes with interests aligned with the Avengers, sometimes with interests opposed to the Avengers. But is that too much like a 2nd Loki?

37 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But is that too much like a 2nd Loki?

Loki can't be around in too many more films surely- even if he dies he must be sidelined and only trotted out for real special occasions- so they could do with a second one of him.
I could stand to see an Anihillation plotline being the culmination of part 2, though it probably won't as the comics didn't involve Earth heroes, so it'd be a strictly Guardians plot... But Thanos' role there was really good. That said, it'll really depend on how well he's recieved here. If people don't like him, any plans for him will be reconsidered.

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Disney/Fox Entertainment deal could be announced before the end of the year according to some.

Saw that today.

At this point, I expect the remains of the infinity stones power on Earth will lead to manifestation of powers (as established by Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver) and the continued destruction caused by supers will lead to more distrust seen in Age of Ultron.

Sets up the perfect intro for rebooted X-Men in the MCU for the next phase and an easy excuse to sideline the Avengers story on the screen.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Saw that today.

At this point, I expect the remains of the infinity stones power on Earth will lead to manifestation of powers (as established by Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver) and the continued destruction caused by supers will lead to more distrust seen in Age of Ultron.

Sets up the perfect intro for rebooted X-Men in the MCU for the next phase and an easy excuse to sideline the Avengers story on the screen.

Do you mean the use of the power of the infinity stones on Earth by Thanos will lead to the activation of the X-gene, and what we will get in the MCU is the beginning of the appearance of X-men being post Infinity War, with perhaps the only pre-infinity war mutants with activated X-genes who survive to adulthood being Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine (and Sabretooth?) - with all new actors. 

It would be reasonably explicable for a few mutants who think they are the only X-people in the world to very much fly under the radar until mutants start popping up all over the place.

Hard to see Deadpool slotting into the MCU in this scenario, since those movies exist within a universe where Mutants already abound. So I assume however many Deadpool movies Ryan Reynolds is contracted for they will make them as remnants of the old X-men universe and then drop the property for several years before thinking about bringing him back with a different actor.

Thoughts on possible casting for the big 3 for the X-men cast (Wolverine, Prof X, Magneto)?

Here's a wolverine speculative list https://screenrant.com/actors-replace-hugh-jackman-wolverine/

Can't say only of those suggestions are inspiring. 

31 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Do you mean the use of the power of the infinity stones on Earth by Thanos will lead to the activation of the X-gene, and what we will get in the MCU is the beginning of the appearance of X-men being post Infinity War, with perhaps the only pre-infinity war mutants with activated X-genes who survive to adulthood being Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine (and Sabretooth?) - with all new actors. 

It would be reasonably explicable for a few mutants who think they are the only X-people in the world to very much fly under the radar until mutants start popping up all over the place.

Hard to see Deadpool slotting into the MCU in this scenario, since those movies exist within a universe where Mutants already abound. So I assume however many Deadpool movies Ryan Reynolds is contracted for they will make them as remnants of the old X-men universe and then drop the property for several years before thinking about bringing him back with a different actor.

Thoughts on possible casting for the big 3 for the X-men cast (Wolverine, Prof X, Magneto)?

Here's a wolverine speculative list https://screenrant.com/actors-replace-hugh-jackman-wolverine/

Can't say only of those suggestions are inspiring. 

Yeah.  I figure they will have the X Gene activated by the Infinity Stones.  Just seems simple.

Professor X and Mags are a bit problematic for me.  Magneto’s origin is iconic and crucial to the character IMHO... Unfortunately, it is definitively tied to a certain time period.  He’s the same age as Captain America; but without the benefit of being frozen for 70 years! Suppose you could make him another ethnic group and victim of racial cleansing, but won’t have the impact of the holocaust.

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah.  I figure they will have the X Gene activated by the Infinity Stones.  Just seems simple.

Professor X and Mags are a bit problematic for me.  Magneto’s origin is iconic and crucial to the character IMHO... Unfortunately, it is definitively tied to a certain time period.  He’s the same age as Captain America; but without the benefit of being frozen for 70 years! Suppose you could make him another ethnic group and victim of racial cleansing, but won’t have the impact of the holocaust.

No, I think they can keep him as a WW2 holocaust survivor. It is perfectly explicable to have a handful of mutants living (under the radar) in the world pre-Infinity War. Extreme events other than exposure to the power of cosmic bling can trigger the X gene in particularly sensitized individuals. Magneto, as a holocaust victim. Prof X, in whatever event they pick to be the cause of his paraplegia. Though Prof X's back story isn't necessary and he can just roll up in his wheel chair and be all bald and wise. A shame Ben Kingsley is out of the running, how about Ed Harris? Xavier is meant to be American, so transitioning to an American Actor would be good. While we're at it I'd suggest a Jewish actor who can do a decent German accent play Magneto. Wolverine is a couple hundred years old, and there can still be the mutants who appeared from time to time throughout ancient history. The infinity stones just spark a mutant explosion necessitating something a bit more organised than X and Magneto palling about and avoiding the blatant use of their powers to try to manage and help these people.

Prof X could possibly only be a relatively minor telepath, only able to read minds and modestly influence people in close proximity. But then the infinity stones greatly enhance his power. Similar thing could happen for Magneto. The only massive display of his power in his earlier life is when his daughter is killed. But he can still suffer from that trauma without manifesting huge amount of power, rather just a moderate amount where he kills a few people rather than destroying a whole town. Those events still send him down a dark path, and makes it all the more ominous once he realises he's received a major power upgrade from the infinity stones.

It would be pretty cool if Marvel shot some alt scenes for Thanos as a contingency in case the Fox Entertainment deal goes through in time for the movie's release, where he is fully aware that part of his unleashing the power of the stones on Earth will cause the expression of the X-gene, so he intended to bring about the rise of the mutants as part of his game plan all along. Hoping that it would create more chaos and destruction on earth, rather than the rise of a new group of heroes to oppose him.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's very much a repeat of what's been done with the inhumans on TV, though. I think it would make more sense to keep the mutants in a separate universe. Or alternatively just stop pretending that Agents has anything to do with the movies.

Eh, they could easily smash the two universes together in any infinity stone based film, they do it in the comics all the time.

Also, I JUST saw the new Thor and that was the most fun I've had in theaters in ages.

But my actual question, which may be moot if Disney buys Fox, does Disney have the rights to Lady Death? For some reason I was under the impression some other studio had the rights.

2 hours ago, felice said:

That's very much a repeat of what's been done with the inhumans on TV, though. I think it would make more sense to keep the mutants in a separate universe. Or alternatively just stop pretending that Agents has anything to do with the movies.

I don't see how or why Disney spends billions to buy back X-men and Fantastic 4 to not smoosh the universes all together. Though I guess maybe it could all be about Star Wars with X-Men and F4 being a bonus.

6 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Scarlett Johansson & Black Widow's future

Some blurbs from the recent Vanity Fair piece that came out last month. There is a bit of a spoiler regarding two characters, so uhh.. read at your own risk? 

I wouldn’t say those are spoilers at all.  At least not for the MCU.  The comic run they are talking about won’t influence this story.

I like that F4 and X-Men are all going to be under one roof with the MCU.

But as Disney keeps growing it nudges my fear up a little more of the Disney-Exxon-GE----------->Buy n Large world that we're marching toward.

6 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

But as Disney keeps growing it nudges my fear up a little more of the Disney-Exxon-GE----------->Buy n Large world that we're marching toward.

You forgot Google.

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Don't forget that Disney would be forking over 4 Billion to Fox, who turns around and invests that into right wing fascist propaganda. I said it before and ill say it again, if this deal goes through im totally OUT on all Disney properties. 

Archived