Balerion vs Drogon

Mongo

So we see the skull of Barerion the Black Dread in this episode, with Cersei standing next to it for scale. Based on the images we have of Drogon in Season 7, how do Balerion and Drogon compare in size? We do have random Westerosi claiming that Dany's dragons are larger than Aegon's dragons, but that's just hearsay.

There was also a quote in the episode saying that she had "3 full grown dragons"
I am not sure how Drogon can be full grown in such a short time, (let alone the other 2), however if he is, I would assume he would be the same size as Balerion.

In E2, Balerioons skull appears to be roughly 2x the height of Cersei.

In one of the official posters, with Dany on his back, Drogons head looks just bigger than Dany.  However, if you look at the men on the ground below him, (in the background) his head looks huge.

My guy feeling is Drogon is "slightly smaller" based on the pictures, however I bet they will be the same size in the show.  

The problem is that no one is an expert on dragons. Sure they said full grown, but how do they know?  And how do we know how long a dragon takes to mature.  For all they know, a really big dragon is full grown just because no one alive has seen one bigger  

It also seems like they've scaled Balerion down for the show since he has always been characterized as the largest dragon in history. 

Also don't dragons in this series continue to grow as long as they live, and Balerion was the biggest because he was also so old?  I can't remember. 

3 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Also don't dragons in this series continue to grow as long as they live, and Balerion was the biggest because he was also so old?  I can't remember. 

Yes. You're right. Their range can also be a factor. Chaining them wouldn't help. That's why Drogon is larger than Viserion and Rhaegal.

Balerion would eat Drogon alive. Show has made these dragons bigger than the book version for dramatic purposes. they are like on the show verse - 4-5 years old, Balerion was approx 200+ years old or so as he was born in Valaryia before the doom but died around 95 or so AL I think. 

At the time of tbe Conquest, Balerion was over 100. We know from books that as far as they are free and eating, dragons grow.

That said, the show is ratber careless with such details so the entire debate about the size is kinda pointless as the writers will make Drogon bigger or smaller as they need it, not really taking logic into consideration

1 hour ago, Risto said:

At the time of tbe Conquest, Balerion was over 100. We know from books that as far as they are free and eating, dragons grow.

That said, the show is ratber careless with such details so the entire debate about the size is kinda pointless as the writers will make Drogon bigger or smaller as they need it, not really taking logic into consideration

☝️☝️ 100% This

7 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

According to Tyrion, Balerion could have swallowed a mammoth whole, and you could have ridden a horse down the gullet of Vhaghar. The skull in this episode didn't even look big enough to match that description of Vhaghar, let alone Balerion.

But anyway, I thought dragons had black bones.

You are correct, my good Ser. Dragon bones are black.

The polished skulls of the House Targaryen dragons look like glittering onyx, and their teeth like curved daggers of black diamond. Their bones are black due to their high iron content.

Source: The WIKI

2 hours ago, Mongo said:

From the Winter Is Coming article Game of Thrones' Head Sculptor Talks About Making That Huge Dragon Skull

As for how Balerion’s skull compares to other dragons in our story, Fitzsimons said that “[w]e calculated that it would be about the same size as Drogon is in Season 7.”

I guess that answers the question!

So Drogon is somehow just as big as 200 yr. old Balerion? :blink:

This just might be the biggest travesty in the show to date! :angry:

7 hours ago, Mongo said:

As for how Balerion’s skull compares to other dragons in our story, Fitzsimons said that “[w]e calculated that it would be about the same size as Drogon is in Season 7.”

I guess that answers the question!

Its like they haven't even read the books. 

On 7/27/2017 at 8:46 PM, goomba said:

So Drogon is somehow just as big as 200 yr. old Balerion? :blink:

This just might be the biggest travesty in the show to date! :angry:

Why, because all dragons are the same size eventually, and all grow at exactly at the same rate like...... oh yeah, nothing in the universe really does that. Not even humans. 

Drogon isn't Balerion. Drogon is growing faster, and going to be bigger if he survives. I don't see how that's a travesty in any way, or why it matters.

But hey - TV is exploding at the moment and starved for content, and since there are clearly screenwriting super-geniuses who frequent this forum, I can't wait to see that perfect show you've all obviously got in development! It's going to ROCK!

22 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

Its like they haven't even read the books. 

How? 

The size of the Dragons is one important question. There are others, though, the one or the other of which might have been worth bothering about in the show:

• It is described in "The World of Ice & Fire" that the Targaeryens had sort of saddle construction to ride their Dragons properly and reduces the risk of falling down.
  • Who shall ride Viserion and Rhaegal? Any search for Dragonrider candidates on the way? Might be useful.
  • The control of the Dragons as an issue is solved like in the show (since end of Season 6): Daenerys rides Drogon, and Viserion and Rhaegal just follow on foot (sorry: wing) and do exactly as Drogon does or Daenerys wants.
  • Oh before I forget (and one of the possible motives to find another dragonrider): How about scouting on a Dragon? I already mentioned it in other threads, but cannot refrain myself from re-mentioning again. Riskless, absolutely impossible to be stopped by any enemy, gives great knowledge of the moving of any army or fleet in a vast area around.
  • How far can a Dragon fly without stopping? Is that flying range considerably influenced by the weight of the dragonrider and does it differ from Dragon to Dragon?
  • Flying speed: How long would it take to fly on Drogon e.g. from Dragonstone to Casterly Rock or Sunspear or the Wall? Would it be possible to fly there and return right after (e.g. after a discussion for 1 hour) or would the Dragon be too exhausted (see the point above)?

Drogon is defintely nowhere near as big as Balerion was. Balerion was said to be over 200 years old so we can definitely rule out seeing Drogon as big as Balerion due to the time scale we have left in the show. 

In the episode we see Balerions skull, if we go off that he could swallow an Aurochs or even a small mammoth, it didnt really look possible as it didnt seem big enough. I would have liked to seen it bigger.

Daenery's dragons vary in size with Drogon being the biggest due to his freedom to roam and hunt. If we give a dragon enough food and freedom they will continue to grow. However Rhageal and Viserion are alot smaller due to being held in captivity.

Archived