[SPOILER] Endgame theory: Inoculation

lokisnow

This is a bit crazy, but inspired by the Sam and Jorah scenes in last night's episode:

Confined to show lore, of course

We've seen the creation of the white walkers through the use of dragon glass

We've seen one person survive becoming a wight, through the use of dragon glass

We've seen one person survive grey scale, implied through the use of dragon glass

We've seen a book that suggests dragon glass can be used to cure grey scale

We've seen that stone men have similar behavioral characteristics as wights.

Therefore, the theory is that what Sam is working on with Jorah may result in creating an inoculation against greyscale. 

And those who are inoculated are also inoculated against becoming wights.

When the inoculated are killed, and then resurrected, rather than becoming wights, they become like Benjen.

I saw an article on Vox yesterday drawing a connection to Small pox, of course traditional small pox inoculation used a weak form of the virus (someone on the upswing from recovering from small pox, but still having open, pus-filled, infectious sores), by rubbing pus from the infected tissues on the un-infected.  This can be seen in the first episode of John Adams. This is also a technique that the maesters may already be aware of and use for pox.

If Sam is successful, the maesters may begin inoculating the populace. Or they may look at Sam's treatment of Jorah as a Qyburn level offense and immediately banish them both to Valeria (or the Wall). If Sam returns to the wall, he may begin to be able to inoculate the Nights Watch, wildlings and northerners.

The inoculation may be the crucial variable to allow humans to carry the day in the coming final battle.

A way for humans to win, even if they do not have dragons. Or a way for them to win even if the dragons fail against the white walkers.

I like the theory but not sure about the results being positive.  If the inoculated turn into free wights and can continue fighting against the walkers...  regardless of which side wins you potentially have a lot of undead.

How's that going to work?  Seems like a less than ideal outcome, even if the walkers are defeated. They can't exactly go home to their family can they?

Maybe they become the new nights watch? With an eternal vigil?  That sounds kind of sucky though. 

Also as an FYI, purulent is the adjective of pus. :)  not... what you used. 

This is an interesting theory, but I think the point to Sam's treatment of Jorah is:

A). save his life so he can help Sam and Gilly and her baby escape the Citadel if/when Euron or Dany or someone else comes to attack it.  This gets Sams character to Dany's side and to Dragonstone.

B). show the Maesters of the citadel the result of their own arrogance and hubris.  The maesters are being portrayed as self-serving and prideful.  They are a caricature of our own highest levels of academia in that they are so caught up in their own work they are not even helping people or advancing knowledge anymore.  They are just writing histories to gain their own notoriety and conducting safe research so they can say they tried things without actually making sacrifices and taking risks.  Sam taking this step will divide them, with some seeing the benefits of it and realizing they have lost their way, but most seeing it as an affront to their norms and attitudes.  I think this will get him his first link in his chain but it will come at a cost of most of his colleagues distrusting him and plotting against him.

there's not enough time left in the show to really develop the Maester story line though.  I think it starts like this but then the Citadel gets sacked (i think by Euron but who knows) and Sam flees with whatever books he can carry that will help in the battle against the WW.

6 minutes ago, pinoyathletics said:

Not the Nights Watch. Its the WIGHTS!!! WATCH!!!

Wight's Watch Wersus White Walkers

(yes yes the correct spelling is versus but it'll sound the same when shouted out "let's get ready to rumble"-style)

22 hours ago, Yoren Luck said:

This is an interesting theory, but I think the point to Sam's treatment of Jorah is:

A). save his life so he can help Sam and Gilly and her baby escape the Citadel if/when Euron or Dany or someone else comes to attack it.  This gets Sams character to Dany's side and to Dragonstone.

B). show the Maesters of the citadel the result of their own arrogance and hubris.  The maesters are being portrayed as self-serving and prideful.  They are a caricature of our own highest levels of academia in that they are so caught up in their own work they are not even helping people or advancing knowledge anymore.  They are just writing histories to gain their own notoriety and conducting safe research so they can say they tried things without actually making sacrifices and taking risks.  Sam taking this step will divide them, with some seeing the benefits of it and realizing they have lost their way, but most seeing it as an affront to their norms and attitudes.  I think this will get him his first link in his chain but it will come at a cost of most of his colleagues distrusting him and plotting against him.

there's not enough time left in the show to really develop the Maester story line though.  I think it starts like this but then the Citadel gets sacked (i think by Euron but who knows) and Sam flees with whatever books he can carry that will help in the battle against the WW.

But it sets up a nice Maester Sam spin-off. :D

If dragonglass cures greyscale, at least by normal logic it doesn't make sense for it inoculate against it. Inoculation is a sort of introduction to the disease so you can fight it next time, whereas a cure stops the disease itself.

But at the same time, dragonglass supposedly both kills and creates White Walkers.

I liked it when it was an extremely scarce secret weapon the NW could use very carefully to fight the WW. Now it seems like it does whatever you need it to, and it seems they have enough to make as many anti-WW weapons as they want. just as long as they're careful not to accidentally stab a living person with it and make new WWs...

Archived