Should they have changed who played Dickon?

goomba

I dont understand why they changed the actor who played him last season, and why do they look nothing alike!

This new Dickon look like a Thor stunt double, where as the old Dickon look like he could very well be Sam's brother and Randyll's son.

The new Dickon doesn't even look like a Tarly, but more like a Lannister LOL!

For such a minor character why did they go through all of this?

I think that's why they had the short dialogue between him and Jamie. Just to remind people who he was again. iirc they did the same with Daario and The mountain. However, they were bigger characters. I don't think 90% (or more) of the viewers even understood who he was (my girldfriend didn't even remember Randyl Tarly)

4 hours ago, Zumbs said:

The new Dickon is (or was?) a lead character on Black Sails, so maybe they decided to get a new actor for an expanded role?

Yes, Tom Hopper played Billy Bones on Black Sails, but that show ended early this year, so I think he is open for new roles. 

The show has done this before, as already mentioned before. But in this case, it might be more. I expect him to actually do something, play a physical role. Anyone who watched Black Sails knows that he can.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, Tom Hopper played Billy Bones on Black Sails, but that show ended early this year, so I think he is open for new roles. 

The show has done this before, as already mentioned before. But in this case, it might be more. I expect him to actually do something, play a physical role. Anyone who watched Black Sails knows that he can.

Dickon was Billy, how did I not notice that? I loved his character on Black Sails!

On 7/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, goomba said:

This new Dickon look like a Thor stunt double, where as the old Dickon look like he could very well be Sam's brother and Randyll's son.

Maybe since Randal Tarley disowned his eldest son for being too wimpy and fat, the casting director gave Lord Tarley a reason to be happy with his decision. The younger son standing head and shoulders taller, looking like a tough lad.... just guessing. The effect of his appearance certainly suggests a fighter.

23 minutes ago, Parkourya Stark said:

Or the previous actor just dropped out so they were forced to recast.

I'm sure that was the case, but choosing a guy on the rise like Hopper to replace him you'd think he's in line to get some screen time. Otherwise they just get an unestablished younger fella who would work cheap. No doubt in order to take the part Hopper would want more from the role than just the "lesser than Sheerin" cameo he got

Until I saw your question, I did not even realize that this was a different actor.  Not only did I not notice, but I am so certain that Dickon 2 is going to die, that I do not even care.  He may get a few lines but basically is there to die. 

On 7/26/2017 at 10:30 AM, goomba said:

I dont understand why they changed the actor who played him last season, and why do they look nothing alike!

We've had two Daarios.

We've had two Myrcellas.

We're on our third Mountain.

We not only had two Tommen's but the second one also played his own distant cousin who was killed before playing Tommen.

Why does this casting change matter to you so much? 

The first actor wasn't put On Avail or contracted to come back, and got another gig. I guess D&D&B didn't want to cut the character.

On 7/28/2017 at 4:53 PM, lakin1013 said:

Until I saw your question, I did not even realize that this was a different actor.  Not only did I not notice, but I am so certain that Dickon 2 is going to die, that I do not even care.  He may get a few lines but basically is there to die. 

This ⬆︎ is likely how the majority of show watchers feel.

On 27/07/2017 at 1:30 AM, goomba said:

Ha ha, true.  Maybe they'll turn Dickon into Jamie and Cersei's long lost son LOL

Seriously, though, I hope we see Tom Hopper do more than just say "Sir Jamie" and "Dickon", during his stint on GoT.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:13 PM, storm.131 said:

Ha ha, true.  Maybe they'll turn Dickon into Jamie and Cersei's long lost son LOL

Seriously, though, I hope we see Tom Hopper do more than just say "Sir Jamie" and "Dickon", during his stint on GoT.

He does manage to say both in the "manly man" way Randyll 'arsehole' Tarly's favorite son would be expected to say it though!

Archived