Will Arya be dead this season?

Joffrey's Wine

I have this slight suspicion Arya may be done for this season. My reasons as follows:

1.) Arya has the 'kickass' opening scene of the first episode - I've read that this was a last minute change, but this would be a very fitting opener if this was indeed Arya's last season.

2.) The Ed Sheeran appearance is supposedly a 'gift' from D&D to Maisie Wiliams - the backstory being that the showrunners had been trying for awhile to get him on the show at her request, which is at last fulfilled. To me, the scene overall leads me to believe it is actually a parting gift to the actress.

3.) The surprise reappearance of Hot Pie - obviously a tip of the hat to their work together on the show, and the dialogue clearly indicates this is the last we'll see of Hot Pie. If Arya was going to be gone this season, this would be the last opportunity for Hot Pie to appear and say a goodbye.

4.) Goodbye to Nymeria - This scene clearly indicates there is no future plot with Arya & Nymeria together, concluding and finalizing their role together in the show version of the story.

And all of this is only two episodes into this season. I wish I could explain my gut feeling more in depth, but it seems like all of the above events that have taken place would be something that has to be done for a proper goodbye to Maisie/Arya on the show. Of course it's entirely possible this all had to be before the show ends next year in general, and this was the time to do it, but I still think there is a strong possibility S7 could very well be the last of this character.

Any thoughts? And I think this might be my first post here on this board, so please don't tear me to shreds if there are any glaring mistakes, etc. - I'm just a longtime lurker ASOIAF fan.

1). It was a great scene on its own. DOn't think that has anything to do with Arya's survival.

2). They have been trying to get Ed on for *years*. This wasn't just a random surprise planned for S7. 

3). On their farewell, what did Hotpie tell Arya? "I'm a survivor like you 'Arry". I could see him reappear a the end of S8, after the war, requesting to work and serve House Stark with Arya there to greet her friend once again.

4). Killing Nymeria would do what you described. What D&D have done is keep Nymeria on sideline and available for a S8 moment where she can come to Arya's rescue. This way D&D can save on the show budget but still have the opportunity to use Nymeria when they're ready. 

It seems like D&D are giving Arya very poignant moments this season that resonate with viewers. But I think she is due that after what they did to her Braavos arc. When she does arrive at Winterfell, which I think that's exactly where she is headed - like Nymeria, Arya is returning to her pack - I want her to meet Lyanna and Brienne as well as the her other siblings. It will be great to see her reintegrate with people she can really gel with. Arya & Brienne have that connection from S4 when they last met.

Spoiler

She has a big moment in Ep 7 and survives the season. 

No, the Stark sisters will survive the series (and maybe also Jaime and Theon), everyone else will die

And with Nymeria, it wasn't a goodbye, Nymeria recognised Arya but she didn't recognise the Stark in Arya because the "no one" took the place of the Stark, Sansa and Arya stories are very similar, the two returned to Winterfell as different persons

I see where you are coming from in terms of those moments potentially meaning good bye but as other have said I think she is too central a character.  Okay, a lot of stuff could still happen between now and the final episode of the season but she has not yet completed her redemption arc (which I am convinced is the final part), she is still in vengeance mode (although maybe that encounter with the Lannister soldiers could indicate that she may be beginning to recognise that enemy soldiers can be just "people."  Still maybe she only sat with them because they offered her food lol).  In any event there would have to be a lot of a transformation happening very quickly for her to fulfill her final destination arc-wise and be "disposable."  Besides I think all that training has to allow her to play another role apart from crossing every name on her list (and in essence) taking over from LSH plot-wise.  I know that the show has diverged from the books but I don't think the fate of the main characters will be different (although the death may be different...).  So, Arya in the books has to be more than just a substitute for Stoneheart.  She has to have her own "important mission" besides the "list."

Something that has just crossed my mind and would make sense (to me) is that okay, BWB, Sandor in tow, are heading north; she is heading north.  I would love to see a "reunion."  Sandor and her have unfinished business and even her and Dondarion...  I think it would be really neat to have this scene in the next episode before she reaches WF.

Not saying that this is my definite prediction but she certainly is in a privileged position in terms of being able to impersonate anyone she has killed.  Wouldn't it just be cool if she took down a WW and infiltrated their "camp."  It could even give her a chance to kill the Knight King... although in a way that would be too simple.  I think their defeat will be the result of a combination of different actions by different characters and forces.

6 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Something that has just crossed my mind and would make sense (to me) is that okay, BWB, Sandor in tow, are heading north; she is heading north.  I would love to see a "reunion."  Sandor and her have unfinished business and even her and Dondarion...  I think it would be really neat to have this scene in the next episode before she reaches WF.

Yes! E03, Arya reunites with the Hound. The next ingredient for the end of Arya's story. This show is finalizing itself, so that would definitely be something that has to happen.

22 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

No, the Stark sisters will survive the series (and maybe also Jaime and Theon), everyone else will die

I expect Arya, Sansa, Bran, Jon, Sam, Jaime and Tyrion to survive. I half expect Yara/Asha, Varys and Cersei to survive too, despite the Cersei's prophecy (really, what's the point to say seasons / books until the end that Cersei's gonna die, if it really happens and there is no point to avoid it?).

When it comes to Jaime, I think that either him or Brienne survives but not both. My money is on Jaime.

I have a theory that Theon might die while saving a life of a Stark which would be kind of redemption after betraying them back in Season 2 / ACOK. But in the show he more or less already did it while escaping with Sansa from Winterfell, so I suppose that he might survive.

EDIT: if Dany dies, Jorah might survive to mourn her.

I don't see her dying this season, but I think it very likely that she is taken hostage by the Lanisters should she go to Kings Landing instead of Winterfell.  She may be good enough to take out the Freys, but dealing with Cercie, Jamie and The Mountain will be too much for her I fear.

But I also disagree that she is "too important" to kill or that "her arc isn't complete".  When you make a mistake in GOT you pay for it with your life, and going to KL would be a big mistake for her at this point.

I certainly think Arya dies, just not in this season.  In book 1, I believe, Jon and Arya are talking about her needlework (sewing, not sword) and Jon says .....You’ll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.”   As we know, the story is now at the start of winter.  I think Arya dies in the final season. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 1:22 AM, Joffrey's Wine said:

Yes! E03, Arya reunites with the Hound. The next ingredient for the end of Arya's story. This show is finalizing itself, so that would definitely be something that has to happen.

lol this is definitely happening unless most of Team Living get ambushed on the way to WF and although there may be some significant casualties in transit as it were, there is no way that Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Sandor etc (assuming they are all on that boat) perish before they even get to the North proper lol and some of these people would be overall survivors if the end is to be "bitter-sweet."  The Sandor/Arya; Sandor/Sansa plus Tyrion/Sansa etc is going to have to happen early next season although I don't discount the possibility of skirmishes before the party from KL reaches Winterfell...

Now, since I think the dead or survival of very central characters as Arya will be the same in terms of yes or no (although not necessarily in the way it is done, if at all), I think for what George said his wife would file for divorced if he killed Arya! lol  Okay, I know about the sewing throw winter thing but I think prophecies will turn out to have very unexpected twists.  My money is apart from Sam, Gilly and little kid that the two characters that are guaranteed to survive the series are Arya and Tyrion.  One is Martin's fav, the other his wife's.  I believe he joked about it in some interview but haven't got the source to hand.

Oh, sorry, I didn't read your post properly, my apologies.  You were talking about them having to meet again, and definitely.  It is all set in motion now barring some catastrophe along the way, when I read finalizing for some obscure reason (probably tiredness on my part) I thought you meant that you though she would die.  lol going senile!

Archived