The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

17 hours ago, JonArryn said:

I recently binged this. I thought it was quite good, it took a step up in season 2 imo. 

My favorite characters would be Miller, Chrisjen and Amos I think. I really like Alex too, he needs some more character development next season. I actually doesn't think Holden nor Naomi are very interesting characters. Both are kind of annoying becuase of their houlier-than-thou schtick they're always doing. 

But as a whole, this series is great, and the shots are gorgeous most of the time. It doesn't reach BSG's highs, but then again, not many series can compare with BSG first 2.5 seasons run. I do like the realism of keeping it pretty grounded and in our solar system too, it makes it a bit more familiar regarding the worldbuilding. And agreed, Chrisjens actor is really good. Nice to see an older woman kicking ass on the screen. Looking forward to next season. 

We're in the same boat haha. I finished Season 1 and got to the second half of Season 2 ages ago but only recently finished it all [Blade Runner got me in that sci fi mood]

It's such a great show. I'm still gutted about Miller - episode 5 of season 2 was such amazing TV. I agree i'm never really super invested in Holden and I didn't like Amos at first but now there is certainly more than meets the eye to him. I have a suspicion he's had that same empathy removal surgery done on him as the protomolecule doc.

I don't like Holden but I do think he is interesting given how far he was willing to go to try and stop the spread of the protomolecule. A good example of the path to hell being paved with good intentions. Naomi worked as his conscience for that, though we see she is not perfect either. I think she is the more compelling and interesting of the two though, largely due to her Belter origins and how the influences her actions throughout the series. (Have not read the books so don't know where she goes from this point fwiw). 

I want to see more of Earth so we can get a fuller glimpse of what this future society is like and how it operates. Bobby's brief glimpse and the stuff with Holden's family in season 1 was interesting but I want more :P Would also enjoy seeing Mars too.

16 hours ago, Фейсал said:

We're in the same boat haha. I finished Season 1 and got to the second half of Season 2 ages ago but only recently finished it all [Blade Runner got me in that sci fi mood]

It's such a great show. I'm still gutted about Miller - episode 5 of season 2 was such amazing TV. I agree i'm never really super invested in Holden and I didn't like Amos at first but now there is certainly more than meets the eye to him. I have a suspicion he's had that same empathy removal surgery done on him as the protomolecule doc.

Br2049 was a great movie. So I get why you wanted some more sci-fi to fill that craving. 

Miller was by far my favorite character, and episode 5 was probably the best episode of season 2. A real belly of the best-scenario. At first I thought he was going to make it out but the further in he went the more you had to doubt it. Great ending for his character. 

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don't like Holden but I do think he is interesting given how far he was willing to go to try and stop the spread of the protomolecule. A good example of the path to hell being paved with good intentions. Naomi worked as his conscience for that, though we see she is not perfect either. I think she is the more compelling and interesting of the two though, largely due to her Belter origins and how the influences her actions throughout the series. (Have not read the books so don't know where she goes from this point fwiw). 

I want to see more of Earth so we can get a fuller glimpse of what this future society is like and how it operates. Bobby's brief glimpse and the stuff with Holden's family in season 1 was interesting but I want more :P Would also enjoy seeing Mars too.

Agree that Naomi has a bit more going for her. At least they have some things they can explore regarding her past, and her belter origin. 

Have no idea where they're going with this either. But I liked how they introduced Bobbie's character this season. At first I didn't take to her at all, but with the court questioning it was like a heel-turn and she instantly became more likeable and interesting.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was slow to watch season 2, but I'm about two/thirds in now and it is fantastic. I can't believe what a step up it is above season one in just about every way, from pacing to acting to character development to simple fun. And after having recently finished book 3 of the Expanse, which I think will be the last I read, I really believe that the show is so much better than the books. It feels like there are actual stakes instead of just meaningless action fight after action fight, the characters are much stronger (particularly the Roci crew, but even Fred Johnson, Bobbie, and Avasarala) and the worldbuilding is much more cohesive. Kudos to the showrunners for both improving on the authors and themselves. I'm excited to finish the season off and get to season 3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2017 at 8:23 AM, SpaceChampion said:

Since the show is going to finish off book 2 and then move on to part of book 3, where's the sensible finale plot point?

Hide contents

Opening the gate and passing into the slow zone, right? Or is there a better point I'm forgetting?

[Remember no unmarked book spoilers beyond the latest episode]

Spoiler

Ok I'll play.  I think just like they had the ending of the Leviathan Wakes book - Miller finally meets Julie and convinces her, humanity watches Eros crash into Venus -  in episode 5, they'll do something similar.  Caliban's War will end with the battle around Io, Holden's excursion to the Agatha King to retrieve the codes for the launched proto-monsters from Nguyen, Bobby's battle with the enhanced proto-monster, and Amos and Prax finding Mei in episodes 3-4, maybe spilling over a bit into episode 5.  But episode 5 will end with the vast proto-molecule construct launching itself off Venus, with the ending shocker of Miller's re-appearance to Holden on the Rocinante.  "We gotta talk."

And the TV series season will end (episode 13?) about 2/3 of the way through Abaddon's Gate.  Not when the Roci enters the Ring, but when later, Holden enters the Ring Station and follows Miller to unlock the history of the proto-masters' galactic civilization's sudden death, followed by his capture by the Marines.  Or perhaps just after that, showing the bloodbath on the ships due to the change in the speed limit, followed by Clarissa Mao's commando attack on the Roci, along with Anna's drug-crazed rescue.  Maybe they'll find a way to have those things happening in the same episode, though I don't know how since the speed limit change seems like it would have to happen before Clarissa's attack.

As for the TV series Drummer, it almost seems like they might use her to merge 3 characters somehow - Sam, Drummer and Michio Pa.  Just speculating though.  It's too bad though, since Sam has a very different personality and would be a fun character to have on the show, along with a tragic death that would add emotion to the plot as it did in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's back!!! I mostly liked the premiere, even if it felt a bit low key for the most part. Some bad physics here and there (can't be helped that a human's sweat goes down on set, even if it's supposed to be in zero g)

The Razorback looks pretty good.

22 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

And it's back!!! I mostly liked the premiere, even if it felt a bit low key for the most part. Some bad physics here and there (can't be helped that a human's sweat goes down on set, even if it's supposed to be in zero g)

The Razorback looks pretty good.

SPOILER!!!!

Now I know The Razorback is in play and the whole series is ruined. RUINED!

Decent start to the season, but Chrisjen and Bobbie's scenes probably should have ended last season with them escaping on the Razorback. That continuation felt a bit odd, almost like it was still part of season 2 just with an extra long wait in between episodes.

Wait first Holden tells Prax he didn't care about his kid, then later decides to go to Io? WTF.

I'm looking forward to the Nauvoo salvaging mission, mainly because I like Drummer.

27 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Decent start to the season, but Chrisjen and Bobbie's scenes probably should have ended last season with them escaping on the Razorback. That continuation felt a bit odd, almost like it was still part of season 2 just with an extra long wait in between episodes.

Wait first Holden tells Prax he didn't care about his kid, then later decides to go to Io? WTF.

I'm looking forward to the Nauvoo salvaging mission, mainly because I like Drummer.

No, he told him that when they started this, he didn't give a shit about his kid, and he just used Prax to get to where he need to get, but as things progressed, he realized he was wrong not to care. 

And do you think we'll get to see the salvage mission? I think that line was specifically thrown in there to not have Drummer for a few episodes, and then make sure people know why the Nauvoo is back in the picture.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

No, he told him that when they started this, he didn't give a shit about his kid, and he just used Prax to get to where he need to get, but as things progressed, he realized he was wrong not to care. 

And do you think we'll get to see the salvage mission? I think that line was specifically thrown in there to not have Drummer for a few episodes, and then make sure people know why the Nauvoo is back in the picture.

OK, I missed that line. But that's inconsistent with Holden's character(the not caring and only using it as an excuse). He's the boy scout of the group. There were a few quick changes of opinion this episode that felt odd, unnatural.

I hope we get to see Drummer's mission and it's not just off screen.

Sexy enough?    Yes.   

Ms. Mars Marine comes off as a bit incompetent overall if you look at all the things that trip her up, but she handles it all in the end which is the important measuring stick?    And you're less tempted to call her a mary sue.

Uh... this proto molecule gives the impression of being Techno Zeus Jizz that impregnates the universe with possibilities galore.  Everything it touches gets knocked up.   Space Jizz Wars (SJW).

Got some leftover Chinese on the stove, some good Bud I just picked up today, and I'm ready to watch!

The recap got me nice and pumped. I forgot how good that last episode was until they showed SadFace Jim when Naomi broke the news to him.

Fun episode. Between being High As Fuck and in the middle of reading some Stephenson -taking a break from my research, there's only so much death a gal can bear to conceive of- I kept mentally moving on from scenes where I thought they should be cut.

It was really bad with Cristjen/Bobby because like @Astromech I felt like they didn't belong so I was processing the story effect like a total asshole.

Prax is kind of a turrible actor, but I live for ol' Fred Johnson and his sidekick lady (Drummer?). Jace just loves Freedom Fighters, y'know? I saw Rescue Dawn as a kid an the next day at school I was organizing strategic debilitative strikes on the Jungle Gym that They used to keep us down.

Archived