The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

6 minutes ago, Hello World said:

Did that happen or not?

No.  Amos is somewhere on the psychopath spectrum.  He doesn't have empathy to begin with.  I think it was implied Amos is wondering if that the procedure was done to him in the past against his will?  I don't know, I'm not that far in the book series if that's a thing from the books.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

No.  Amos is somewhere on the psychopath spectrum.  He doesn't have empathy to begin with.  I think it was implied Amos is wondering if that the procedure was done to him in the past against his will?  I don't know, I'm not that far in the book series if that's a thing from the books.

I thought it was more he could see he had a lot in common with the lobotomised scientists and he wondered if his life would be easier if he was a little more like them? Plus it was at a time where he was feeling helpless with all the shit going on. He tends to become more introverted and antagonistic in those scenarios because he can't deal with feeling helpless and he tends to express in a negative fashion.

He is definitely on the psychopath spectrum. He just tends to tag along to one person who is then intensely loyal to. In this case Naomi. He could easily be an evil henchman if he tagged on to the wrong person. The question is whether he deleberately chooses someone who has a better moral compass with him on purpose? I think he does but he doesn't like to admit it. Maybe a case of a bad person trying to be good.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I thought it was more he could see he had a lot in common with the lobotomised scientists and he wondered if his life would be easier if he was a little more like them? Plus it was at a time where he was feeling helpless with all the shit going on. He tends to become more introverted and antagonistic in those scenarios because he can't deal with feeling helpless and he tends to express in a negative fashion.

He is definitely on the psychopath spectrum. He just tends to tag along to one person who is then intensely loyal to. In this case Naomi. He could easily be an evil henchman if he tagged on to the wrong person. The question is whether he deleberately chooses someone who has a better moral compass with him on purpose? I think he does but he doesn't like to admit it. Maybe a case of a bad person trying to be good.

My shorthand Amos essentially boils down to "There but for the grace of god go I"

The actor is terrific but as has been bemoaned already the show fails to adequately let the characters breathe a lot so motivations seem unclear.

2 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

My shorthand Amos essentially boils down to "There but for the grace of god go I"

The actor is terrific but as has been bemoaned already the show fails to adequately let the characters breathe a lot so motivations seem unclear.

Wait, wait, wait!!! WTF happened here? Who died and made you empress? ;)

10 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

With Bobbie and Amos aboard they now have their own army!

Look, I'll be up front and preface this by saying that I've had some drinks unsuitable for minors while catching up on the episode a couple days late, but THE END OF THAT CHASE SCENE!?!?!! How great was that?

I yelled at the TV in a way I haven't since the jump into atmosphere in BSG's "Exodus, Part 2."

13 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Wait, wait, wait!!! WTF happened here? Who died and made you empress? ;)

Grand Juror #2, of course. They weren't suitably deluded.

Damn, how high was I when this aired? All I remember of a chase scene is Chrisjen kept dying from the G forces and then the Roci showed up.

See, this is why I have been elevated to Empress. As a mere Pony Queen I could not be trusted to both be awesome all the time and recall clearly events of the moment.

Don't be afraid. Self-proclaimed genetic inheritance works on the same basic rules as the Peter Principal.

Another great episode. I noticed a techno faux pas. Prax and Amos's duty stations had the dumbest suit oxy connect hose I have seen since Frank Poole in 2001. External hose connections like that don't exist on real space suits, or at least they are 100 times more robust against disconnection. Show should of thought that through better.

I hope the lil girl glows bright enough to take back her Kerokeroppi backpack that got seized by the government.  

Am i supposed to like the show because the crew of rocinante don't know what to do next and neither do i?   

The belters need to cinch the belt!    Or take it off and use it to whip earth's blue- marble buttocks with a good Ass- teroid Belting.  Yes.  

Where's our peek at the budding romance on venus between the crashed proto people from season 1.    I want them to have the space babies.

The space battle featured bright lights on or around 4/20.  It is known.  

Season 3's off to a great start. I loved loved loved the space battle and chase at the end of episode two. Whoever compared it to the feeling you get watching Exodus part II is spot on.

The show's pacing is excellent; maybe a little slow, but events and characters have weight, which they tend not to in the books. I'm very happy that the show has turned Errinwright into an interesting and effective villain, and that Anna will be dealing with him as her foil, rather than one dimensional televangelist or one dimensional crazy space captain. The tension is ratcheting up nicely on all plotlines, and I'm excited to see the Roci crew interact with Bobbi and Avasarala, along with later developments involving the protomolecule that will probably be coming soon.

1 hour ago, boojam said:

Another great episode. I noticed a techno faux pas. Prax and Amos's duty stations had the dumbest suit oxy connect hose I have seen since Frank Poole in 2001. External hose connections like that don't exist on real space suits, or at least they are 100 times more robust against disconnection. Show should of thought that through better.

I spent that entire scene wondering why Prax was the only one getting his O2 through a tube.

27 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I spent that entire scene wondering why Prax was the only one getting his O2 through a tube.

I was sitting there thinking that Bill Paxton would have fixed it with a sock and his eyes closed.

Can anyone recommend a good Expanse podcast? My usual source for something like this is The Incomporable. They did a great job with a Star Trek: Discovery flash cast every week. But they appear to not be doing anything for the Expanse. I'd prefer something with charming hosts with good chemistry, and no spoilers, book or otherwise. 

13 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

Can anyone recommend a good Expanse podcast? My usual source for something like this is The Incomporable. They did a great job with a Star Trek: Discovery flash cast every week. But they appear to not be doing anything for the Expanse. I'd prefer something with charming hosts with good chemistry, and no spoilers, book or otherwise. 

I am surprised there is not more YouTube fans for the The Expanse.

Trouble's abrewin' between the decks where the crew neglectfully left that splattering of Protomolecule Blue Goo.

Naomi noticed that engine efficiency is declining, but she doesn't know that that the goo is the culprit -- siphoning power as it grows. Tweaking is not going to be the solution.

4 hours ago, Holy Sith! said:

Trouble's abrewin' between the decks where the crew neglectfully left that splattering of Protomolecule Blue Goo.

Naomi noticed that engine efficiency is declining, but she doesn't know that that the goo is the culprit -- siphoning power as it grows. Tweaking is not going to be the solution.

Oh damn, you're almost certainly right.

Nice deduction work, I was WAAAAAY too high to put those clues together. I actually forgot all about the goo on the ship, did they show it last week?

Archived