The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

On 5/6/2018 at 9:53 AM, matt b said:

I believe there was another set of rockets that fired when the 1st set stopped. Like if the 1st set were topside aft and bottomside fore, the other set were topside fore and bottomside aft. At least that's what I recall seeing.

Little sketchy but looked like to me there were burns to stop the rotation. By the by they over torqued the rotational burn cause Moroni came off! I guess it's insured?

I can just see the memo:

To : Tycho Constructon

Next time don't hire the low bidders for the structural engineering.

On 5/3/2018 at 0:15 AM, Astromech said:

Amos showing up after the confrontation :) 

I could've watched an entire episode of Drummer and her crew salvaging the Nauvoo.

Drummer is such an unusual character.

Said Belter Salvage Fleet , Drummer is a Belter , isn't the Nauvoo an OPA project, or maybe that's just as well Belters?

On 5/6/2018 at 9:33 AM, Caligula_K3 said:

Eh, I kind of like how the show has handled her. We need a character to oppose Errinwright on Earth now that Avasarala is gone, or else that plotline would get very boring, very fast. And now she has the Errinwright video, and will probably be more active in the plot. 

She's being set up for the second half of the season, just like Bobbie was in S2. I like this version of her as well - it gives her a lot more reason to be part of the plotline going forward. 

On 5/6/2018 at 7:33 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

We need a character to oppose Errinwright on Earth now that Avasarala is gone, or else that plotline would get very boring, very fast.

Her plot line is very boring now, though.

What was the video that you're referring to? I think I missed it.

22 minutes ago, Hello World said:

Her plot line is very boring now, though.

What was the video that you're referring to? I think I missed it.

The video that Errinwright sent to Mao's ship at the end of Season 2 that reveals his complicity with Mao and his treason. Avasarala saved a copy, and sent one to the Martians and one to Anna in the last episode.

6 hours ago, boojam said:

Drummer is such an unusual character.

Said Belter Salvage Fleet , Drummer is a Belter , isn't the Nauvoo an OPA project, or maybe that's just as well Belters?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll take a crack.

Yes Drummer is a Belter.  The OPA (Outer Planets Association) represents, or at least claims to represent, Belters and also denizens of the outer solar system - the moons of Jupiter and Saturn etc. - basically all humans that aren't tied to Earth (UN) or Mars.  "The Belt" is sometimes used as a more general term to encompass "everything and everyone from the Belt on outwards."

The book often points out that "there's OPA and there's OPA."  It is by nature a loose conglomeration of shifting groups and alliances with as many differences as commonalities.  Fred Johnson runs Tycho station and is a leader in the OPA, but is more aligned with "the collaborationist wing" of the OPA, working towards making the Belt and the outer planets a viable political force with a seat at the table in discussions with Earth (The UN) and Mars.  There is more radical movement within the OPA as represented by Anderson Dawes who we saw in the first two seasons.  In fact, based on the books at least...

Spoiler

...there are also OPA factions more radical and violent than Dawes who is still at heart a politician...

So there is a potential conflict in Drummer's heart as she clearly could align herself with either Fred Johnson's collaborationist/corporate wing at Tycho as she has in fact done so far, acting as his second in command at Tycho.  Or she could slip over to the other, more revolutionary side of the OPA - to Dawes and others.  It's implied when she and Dawes interact in season 2 that she's been tempted to do that in the past.

So Tycho (and thus Fred Johnson/The OPA/Belters) built the Nauvoo for the Mormons and their long term space journey to find another world in the stars.  But then they appropriated it instead to try to knock Eros into the sun in late book 1 / early season 2.  The Nauvoo "missed" the dodging Eros and just kept going with all that gathered momentum into the outer reaches of the solar system.  Drummer, as a Tycho employee, subordinate of Fred Johnson, Belter, and yes OPA has grudgingly taken on the job of bringing it back...

Spoiler

...And make no mistake, the Nauvoo has still got a part to play...  As does TV series Drummer I'm sure.  I suspect TV Drummer is a merging of book Drummer with one or a couple other characters, though I'm not sure who yet - Michio Pa, Sam Rosenberg, Carlos "Bull" de Baca.  Book Drummer is a minor character until book 7, and Series Drummer is a more prominent character already.  Sam, Bull and Michio Pa all have significant parts in book 3, especially Bull, and Michio Pa becomes a very significant character in Book 6.  We'll see what parts of those TV series Drummer takes on in the later part of this season.  I suspect, like many of our characters, she's in for a rough time.

They've explicitly said she's merged with Sam in the show, but I think there's a decent chance she's also merged with Pa. The thing with the conflicted loyalties is that she's pissed at Fred for working with Dawes and had gotten away from him on purpose, I don't see her going back to him but if the issue was personal rather than political she could jump over and go all the way to black sky OPA (who we have seen in the show - they tried to kill Avasarala). There isn't really a more moderate group to try. 

I did think the relationship with Dawes was depicted as potentially intense, like he had the power over her of an abusive partner. It need not have actually been a romantic relationship for him to have that and her to want to get away.

Pretty good episode, although a couple of eye-rolling moments on the Agatha Christie.  Admiral Nguyen just recording his message to Mao while sitting on the command deck surrounded by people?  C'mon. 

At the end, they launched hybrids in the those pods?  I'm a little confused...I thought the one boy was the only one infected.  Didn't the doctor say as much, when he said Mei was the next suitable candidate?

52 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Pretty good episode, although a couple of eye-rolling moments on the Agatha Christie.  Admiral Nguyen just recording his message to Mao while sitting on the command deck surrounded by people?  C'mon. 

At the end, they launched hybrids in the those pods?  I'm a little confused...I thought the one boy was the only one infected.  Didn't the doctor say as much, when he said Mei was the next suitable candidate?

No, they already had a multitude of uncontrollable, but sedated hybrids. Katoa was the only who had the best response to the experiments which were designed to allow them to control the protomolecule.

18 hours ago, Corvinus said:

No, they already had a multitude of uncontrollable, but sedated hybrids. Katoa was the only who had the best response to the experiments which were designed to allow them to control the protomolecule.

Ah...I either missed that or forgot about it.

Outstanding episode!

I liked how quickly the upper hand kept changing during the mutiny aboard the Agatha King. I did not like how it ended.
The last two episodes have shown the pecking order for the protomolecule super soldier development project -- moving downward from Errinwright, to Admiral Nguyen to Mao to Doctor Strickland.
Where could all of those mutant-packed project rockets be heading? My guess is, despite whatever the programmed destinations might have been, they will all be steered to Venus, where "the work" is almost done.
Maybe before the end of the season, we will see Miller again -- in whatever disassembled, re-purposed form he might take.

Syfy is run by morons. You have a show that is one of the best on television, and yet you don't bother to promote it in the slightest. I am not sure I've seen a single ad for the show, certainly not outside of the channel itself. They had gold, but they were content with sticking their heads up their asses now some other channel or distributor is gonna pick it up, give it a marketing budget and have a real hit on their hands.

Fuck you SYFY.

The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the US. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series which tend to draw the lion share of their audiences from digital/streaming.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-canceled-syfy-after-three-seasons-to-be-shopped-1202388026/

Serves them right for being so greedy.

Last year, amidst all the complaints from people outside of North America who actually wanted to pay to watch this show, I saw Ty Franck offer some bullshit justification for their prehistoric distribution strategy, something along the lines of "the IP owners are fully entitled to maximise their earning potential."

On top of the moronic-beyond-belief decision to sell the show to both Amazon and Netflix, meaning the show got basically zero promotion anywhere, you have to say, great fucking job, guys.

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Serves them right for being so greedy.

It's not hard to watch the show outside of North America, I thought? I mean, I've watched it on Netflix... though I suppose there is a delay, don't think the 3rd season has arrived yet. Guess that's the issue.

I generally agree that the argument that maximizing profit seems to have obviously failed by making deals which eventually drove away a broadcast partner. If anyone chooses to pick it up -- and its a big if -- they're going to demand more rights to maximize _their_ earning potential. That said, Alcon does have a vested interest in trying to cut a deal with someone. 

Personally, the ideal would be Netflix buying up first run rights globally.

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's not hard to watch the show outside of North America, I thought? I mean, I've watched it on Netflix... though I suppose there is a delay, don't think the 3rd season has arrived yet. Guess that's the issue.

IIRC, the delay between North American broadcast and UK Netflix is almost a year. Which is fucking ridiculous.

Godsdammit Syfy. Might make me boycott next season of The Magicians and the final season of Face Off, which are basically all I watch on such a stupidly named network. 

Hoping this ends up being a positive in the long run, in that the show ends up on Netflix, Amazon, or elsewhere with a better international distribution model. I imagine there was some crotchety old exec with no comprehension of kids today with their streaming services and iPods and hip hop music that was responsible for pushing Syfy's exclusivity period. Ended up as kind of a catch-22, since the extra money they paid for those rights were what made the show possible, but I feel like if the show aired closer to the same time everywhere in the world the conversation around it would've been that much greater and would've drawn more eyes to it.

13 minutes ago, matt b said:

Godsdammit Syfy. Might make me boycott next season of The Magicians and the final season of Face Off, which are basically all I watch on such a stupidly named network. 

Hoping this ends up being a positive in the long run, in that the show ends up on Netflix, Amazon, or elsewhere with a better international distribution model. I imagine there was some crotchety old exec with no comprehension of kids today with their streaming services and iPods and hip hop music that was responsible for pushing Syfy's exclusivity period. Ended up as kind of a catch-22, since the extra money they paid for those rights were what made the show possible, but I feel like if the show aired closer to the same time everywhere in the world the conversation around it would've been that much greater and would've drawn more eyes to it.

Why are you blaming SyFy for the distribution cluster-fuck? Read the posts above yours. 

Archived