The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

Just now, Relic said:

Why are you blaming SyFy for the distribution cluster-fuck? Read the posts above yours. 

Because they're the ones that paid to have the exclusive rights for so long. That exclusivity period is literally the reason why Netflix UK can't air a season until almost a year has passed.

I'd think this show is too critically successful for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon not to pick it up. This is the kind of show the streaming services love to have. Linear viewers losses are streaming viewers gains, so the ratings metrics kind of flips...kind of. So for prestige as well as knowing their audiences, it would be a pick up win for any of the streaming services.

24 minutes ago, matt b said:

Because they're the ones that paid to have the exclusive rights for so long. That exclusivity period is literally the reason why Netflix UK can't air a season until almost a year has passed.

I'm probably missing something here but -

"The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the US.

37 minutes ago, Relic said:

Why are you blaming SyFy for the distribution cluster-fuck? Read the posts above yours. 

If you're going to blame anyone, Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham are the ones who sold it to Alcon and Syfy.

I mean, WTF were they expecting? When I heard it had gone to Syfy, my first thought after the initial excitement was that it would never make it to the end. They cancel literally. fucking. everything.

6 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I'd think this show is too critically successful for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon not to pick it up. This is the kind of show the streaming services love to have. Linear viewers losses are streaming viewers gains, so the ratings metrics kind of flips...kind of. So for prestige as well as knowing their audiences, it would be a pick up win for any of the streaming services.

Yeah, but now it's damaged goods. Another show deemed not good enough for the shitty fucking Syfy network. Given the enormous production costs, I'll be amazed if anyone picks it up.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, but now it's damaged goods. Another show deemed not good enough for the shitty fucking Syfy network. Given the enormous production costs, I'll be amazed if anyone picks it up.

Much depends on how great the buzz/furor/pleading is, that goes a far longer way for streaming services decisions than old school TV's.

OK, just caught up with the news, and all I can say is FUCK YOU, SYFY!!! They're recent PR campaign "it's all about the fans" is clear bullshit.

This brings back memories of Stargate Universe. SGU was one of the first SF shows to gain a decent streaming viewership, the episodes were available on hulu. But SyFy cared only about the TV ratings. I can't believe they're still following that model. What a bunch of idiots.

I do have some confidence that the show's quality is good enough for a number of parties to be interested in it.

As for SyFy, I think I'm done with them. I was going to watch Nightflyers in the fall, but why bother.

I can’t BELIEVE SyFy have cancelled this excellent show. I really hope someone else picks it up. I haven’t seen any of season 3 yet so I haven’t been in this thread becaus I want to avoid spoilers but I had to declare how great this show is and how upset I am that it might be the end of it 

7 hours ago, Ran said:

It's not hard to watch the show outside of North America, I thought? I mean, I've watched it on Netflix... though I suppose there is a delay, don't think the 3rd season has arrived yet. Guess that's the issue.

I generally agree that the argument that maximizing profit seems to have obviously failed by making deals which eventually drove away a broadcast partner. If anyone chooses to pick it up -- and its a big if -- they're going to demand more rights to maximize _their_ earning potential. That said, Alcon does have a vested interest in trying to cut a deal with someone. 

Personally, the ideal would be Netflix buying up first run rights globally.

I’m in the UK watching on Netflix and there is no way to watch season 3 for months :(

I guess the real question is... why is there no first-run international happening? There's no reason SyFy should have locked up first-run international when they got first-run domestic. Are there cable networks that carry The Expanse's 3rd season in Europe?

2 hours ago, Relic said:

I'm probably missing something here but -

"The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the US.

I never said Syfy had the right to air it anywhere but the U.S., only that they've denied anyone else the right to air it outside the U.S. until a certain time period has elapsed. At least that's my understanding, which could certainly be flawed. These sorts of deals are enormously complicated after all.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

If you're going to blame anyone, Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham are the ones who sold it to Alcon and Syfy.

Nitpicky detail, but Ty and Dan sold it to Alcon, Alcon sold it to Syfy (and Netflix and Amazon). I'd be very surprised if they had a voice in the room when it came down to network/streaming service negotiation.

Will selling to Netflix / Amazon be a problem considering it’s available on both? Not sure how the rights work there, but if whomever picked it up had any length of time at all before the other stopped being allowed to show it, that’s gotta be a pretty big disincentive. 

10 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Will selling to Netflix / Amazon be a problem considering it’s available on both? Not sure how the rights work there, but if whomever picked it up had any length of time at all before the other stopped being allowed to show it, that’s gotta be a pretty big disincentive. 

That's a good question. With other shows like that, they've basically been either dropped from the other platform or they continue there, but only the 'current' season. As an example, you can buy the good place on Amazon but see the previous season on Netflix. 

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

OK, just caught up with the news, and all I can say is FUCK YOU, SYFY!!! They're recent PR campaign "it's all about the fans" is clear bullshit.

This brings back memories of Stargate Universe. SGU was one of the first SF shows to gain a decent streaming viewership, the episodes were available on hulu. But SyFy cared only about the TV ratings. I can't believe they're still following that model. What a bunch of idiots.

I do have some confidence that the show's quality is good enough for a number of parties to be interested in it.

As for SyFy, I think I'm done with them. I was going to watch Nightflyers in the fall, but why bother.

Don't forget Farscape :/

I simply can't find words to describe this. I am like Diane Lockhart in front of TV when Trump was announced to be the President. The only thing that can surpass the disbelief is "f*ck"

The last episode was amazing. It was amazing mix of politics and space confrontation. It brought deep human conflict into the science-fiction surrounding and it was marvelous. That was what the great fantasy products were able to do. And The Expanse, with the last episode, cemented its status.

Let we just hope that those who make these decisions also see the beauty of this amazing TV series.

Too bad. I got into the Expanse a few weeks ago actually after the disappointment of Altered Carbon. I watched seasons one and two in 3 or 4 days.

I might get back to reading the books now since I only read the first one a couple of years ago.

Archived