The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

On 5/12/2018 at 5:24 PM, Hello World said:

Did something like that ever happen before? (Not saying it would be a good idea.) 

I know it happened with Blade Runner (1982) , a publisher asked Philip K Dick to do a novelization of the film adaptation of his own novel.

Dick became livid about this and refused , turned down a lot of money , which he really could have used. When the film didn't do well , after Dick died , there never was a pursuit of the idea. Took a while but J K Jeter did write a few (good) sequels later.

I have heard nothing about Blade Runner 2049 , even tho it did lackluster boxoffice, usually a publisher tries to take advantage of movie advertising.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:32 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Don't forget Farscape :/

I sure as fuck haven't. This was the one that I got argued into thinking maybe they had turned over a new leaf, but they're the same old cynical company that smothers their shows and cancels them far too easily.

I'm the most upset that I've been by anything since Farscape and I've not been able to engage with any of it as a result. The show is so gorgeous, the actors are so invested. I can't believe its being killed off because of bullshit poor business choices and the same people that demand diversity and (rightfully) laud things like B99 for it don't give The Expanse a scrap of credit for the same.

Yeah, but it will some bitter couple of months watching something that you know won't have a proper ending.

People above mentioned Farscape. I came late to that show, so I didn't feel the sting of cancellation. For me, this is Stargate Universe all over again. @Theda Baratheon That's the show I was most depressed about when it was cancelled, and I am still sad to this day.

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Oh man, the sets coming down on Wednesday is not good news. Looks like we'll just have to enjoy the season and wonder what could have been... 

Hide contents

As long as we get half a season of Proto-Miller, I'll be happy

Spoiler

Episode 7, according to IMDB.

The petition seems to finally be gaining some traction and now there's an organised campaign via facebook groups to mass tweet amazon studios and amazon's creator on wednesday evening about saving the show 

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-or-amazon-please-buy-the-rights-to-the-expanse-savetheexpanse

Even the writers are sharing this petition and urging people to join in!!!!

There is a facebook group ''Everything The Expanse'' that you should join as well, lots of inside knowledge there. The propmaster Jim Murray is also there and he has told everyone to go to Alcorn entertainment's website here https://www.alconent.com/contact/contact-form/ and to also write them a letter!!! If you love this show please consider taking the time to do everything you can!!

10 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Oh man, the sets coming down on Wednesday is not good news. Looks like we'll just have to enjoy the season and wonder what could have been... 

Reveal hidden contents

As long as we get half a season of Proto-Miller, I'll be happy

I guess they were also closing in on Cibola Burn which would have probably killed the show without some inventive adapting/merging of other books. It would have been too alienating a shift for a tv show.

1 hour ago, Hello World said:

This doesn't bode well for Altered Carbon's chances of being renewed either. Sad times.

If I had to pick between the two I'm glag lost in space won out. I'd be dubious of a second season of altered carbon when it was going to make up its own storyline for the show.

10 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yeah, but it will some bitter couple of months watching something that you know won't have a proper ending.

People above mentioned Farscape. I came late to that show, so I didn't feel the sting of cancellation. For me, this is Stargate Universe all over again. @Theda Baratheon That's the show I was most depressed about when it was cancelled, and I am still sad to this day.

Even morseo than Atlantis? I guess that show got more seasons.

On 5/13/2018 at 8:56 PM, Spockydog said:

If Bezos gets involved, they'll build bigger and better sets.

It seems te best chance is somehow getting Bezos to watch the show/read the books. If he likes it he'll probably pay just so he sees the rest of it.

11 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Does anyone know what the actual budget impact of SyFy ending their support of the show is? Are we talking about $5 million, $20 million, or $100 million? 

The numbers for per episode that I've seen a $5million per episode, so the cost to make the show itself is presumably around $65 million per season. I understand that SyFy's licensing deal was paying for the majority of the costs given the rest of the international distribution deal was not a good one, so probably at least $50 million on top of that.

Normally you'd then be adding marketing on top of that, but it feels like SyFy have barely spent a cent on that when the fan/actor/production crew campaign to save it seems to be the most publicity its gotten. The only real marketing its had has been the rave reviews from critics, not widespread advertising.

23 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The numbers for per episode that I've seen a $5million per episode, so the cost to make the show itself is presumably around $65 million per season. I understand that SyFy's licensing deal was paying for the majority of the costs given the rest of the international distribution deal was not a good one, so probably at least $50 million on top of that.

Normally you'd then be adding marketing on top of that, but it feels like SyFy have barely spent a cent on that when the fan/actor/production crew campaign to save it seems to be the most publicity its gotten. The only real marketing its had has been the rave reviews from critics, not widespread advertising.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if that kind of financial outlay is feasible within Amazon's economic model? If the vision is to offer it as part of the Prime service, then at some level you have to have a metric that gives you some sort of clue as to how well any particular offering is helping with driving those kinds of memberships, and I have absolutely no idea what that kind of math might look like.

Archived