The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, probably my second favourite episode after Home.

Loving the relationship between Amos and Prax. It really got me in the feels when they rescued Mei and Amos did what needed to be done to Strickland. Bobby vs the Hybrid was equally awesome, as was poor Cotyar's sacrifice.

I love their relationship too. Amos and Prax are my favorite characters I think.

42 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Have to admit I was surprised at Cotyar's sacrifice.  I haven't read the later books (only to book 4 so far) but I thought a spoiler upthread said he wasn't even introduced until later.

I don't think this character exists in the books, I especially don't recall him in the later books.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I don't think this character exists in the books, I especially don't recall him in the later books.

Cotyar appears in Caliban's War but is a minor character. He's the head of Avasarala's security team and accompanies her and Bobbie to Mao's ship just like in the show.

On 5/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, DaveSumm said:

What exactly is the relationship between SyFy and the UK channel of the same name? Is there some reason it doesn’t air on that channel as well?

There isn't one. NBC's international business arm owns SyFy UK, but it is run as a completely independent, separate channel which means it has to bid to buy shows from its own sister-network. Netflix, Amazon, even Channel 5 can outbid it with ease as its budget is miniscule. 

34 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There isn't one. NBC's international business arm owns SyFy UK, but it is run as a completely independent, separate channel which means it has to bid to buy shows from its own sister-network. Netflix, Amazon, even Channel 5 can outbid it with ease as its budget is miniscule. 

I’ve always found that so weird and confusing and makes NO SENSE. Wouldn’t they WANT to reach more viewers?? 

On 5/17/2018 at 2:17 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I just don’t see what’s wrong with people not being apathetic and actually caring enough to try to preserve something they enjoy.

The petition is on it's way to 150,000  now.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:25 PM, Darth Richard II said:

This is all anecdotal, but the people I knew during the save Firefly business were obnoxious and aggressive about it. Like, if you hadn't seen Firefly, wern't a fan, wern't seeing the movie opening night, they would get offended and in your face about it. It was so bad I actually knew two people who went to see a different film on Serenty's opening night.

Tell ya I like Firefly and BSG but The Expanse is in a different class above them , I like this show better than Star Trek (an I love Star Trek).

That's great to hear. Ever since DS9, I needed a good Sci Fi show. And this one was everything I wanted. Down to Avasarala's acerbic tongue. 

It was amazing Wednesday for TV. The Americans, The Handmaid's tale and The Expanse all brought A game. Amos was so badass, Anna's victory turned to ashes and seeing Mao on knees in front of Avasarala was amazing.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

I was hoping that if Amazon/Netflix picks up, they could really unleash Avasarala.

“This is Assistant Undersecretary Chrisjen Avasarala of the United Nations of Earth,” Avasarala said again. “I am about to be attacked by a rogue element of the UN Navy while on my way to a peacekeeping mission in the Jupiter system. Fucking save me! I will reward you by talking my government out of glassing your planet.”

“I’m going to have to send this up the chain,” the commander said. They weren’t using a video link, but the grin was audible in his voice.

“Call whoever you need to call,” Avasarala said. “Just make a decision before these cunts start raining missiles down on me. All right?”

:lol:

This episode was phenomenal. As pretty much everybody has said, the highlight was Prax and Amos (especially Amos' face at "this is my best friend in the whole world") but it really is a case of the show firing on all cylinders. The Anna/Errinwright/Sorento-Gillis scene is another case in point. It's a scene that went the way you think it'll go, but the actors and the writing took it to another level- I loved Anna realizing how right Errinwright was about this spineless politician even as she won. Hopefully somebody with power and money sees this and sees the fan response and realizes this is a show worth saving.

I'll be happy if Netflix/Amazon picks it up, but I'm fine without over the top swearing Avasarala.

I’ve always found that so weird and confusing and makes NO SENSE. Wouldn’t they WANT to reach more viewers?? 

International viewership only works for them if it's accompanied by big bucks. If 10 people or 10 million watch it, they still get paid the same, although more viewers does mean the local network is more likely to buy future seasons. But the US networks see that as the responsibility of the local networks.
Netflix and Amazon take the broader, global view, and the likes of HBO are also seeing benefits of taking that viewpoint, but SyFy is a bit behind the times (especially given how this deal works for them).

One of the tiniest details I loved was how entirely useful Bobbie's HUD was and how she used it tactically. A lot of times people make them into these bullshit cool displays of way too much information that would be entirely garbage in a fight; hers was minimalist, showed what she wanted it to and helped her, all without explaining any of it and just showing it. The VFX and UX designer did real good there. 

Archived