The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

One of the tiniest details I loved was how entirely useful Bobbie's HUD was and how she used it tactically. A lot of times people make them into these bullshit cool displays of way too much information that would be entirely garbage in a fight; hers was minimalist, showed what she wanted it to and helped her, all without explaining any of it and just showing it. The VFX and UX designer did real good there. 

Probably gamers

I assume if it does get picked up by Amazon, Season 3 will still run it’s course on SyFy? So in the UK we’re still gonna have to wait, unless Amazon have it immediately after perhaps. Can’t imagine they’d sort it out that quickly though, with Netflix having 1 and 2 still.

Also do SyFy get anything out of this deal? Or just Alcon? It’s kinda weird now, it’d be a bit deflating if SyFy just didn’t cancel (how were the ratings for the last episode?) and it was left under promoted on the same network. 

We are lucky the world's richest man is a SF geek. The expanse can become the streaming channel's first order final sci-fi (I think?) Which will lead nicely into all/some of the shows it has coming out in the next few years.

Hopefully if/when the deal is done it doesn't result in the UK having to wait even longer for season 3. It'll be interesting to see how the Netflix international streaming conflict pans out. Maybe Netflix has 1-3 and Amazon the rest? I'd imagine Amazon would like the whole thing though.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

We are lucky the world's richest man is a SF geek. The expanse can become the streaming channel's first order final sci-fi (I think?) Which will lead nicely into all/some of the shows it has coming out in the next few years.

Hopefully if/when the deal is done it doesn't result in the UK having to wait even longer for season 3. It'll be interesting to see how the Netflix international streaming conflict pans out. Maybe Netflix has 1-3 and Amazon the rest? I'd imagine Amazon would like the whole thing though.

I imagine part of this deal involves having a chat with Netflix. Bezos will want it all, and rightly so. 

If they've got any sense, they'll chuck it up there a season at a time. If ever a story was written to be binged, it's this one.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

It'll be interesting to see how the Netflix international streaming conflict pans out. Maybe Netflix has 1-3 and Amazon the rest? I'd imagine Amazon would like the whole thing though.

I’m trying to work out if Netflix having it is bad for Amazon or not. Maybe the more people who see it, the more sign ups you get for S4? Would they get that many just on a show that’s already aired? 

19 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

well this is some much needed good news...

I read somewhere that the problem was that not enough people were watching live... could that be true?... why would SyFy care if they can get the ad revenue from on demand?

I think it's because Syfy only had first-run linear rights in the US so they only cared about live viewership numbers in the US. Amazon has the streaming rights for the first 3 seasons and Netflix has the international rights.

2 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

It doesn't seem like anything's set in stone, so some of these clickbaity titles are pretty misleading. Still, this is definitely a great sign- let's hope Amazon can get it!

Yeah, I'm holding off on getting excited until there is some confirmation that a deal has been reached. Fingers crossed.

16 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I imagine part of this deal involves having a chat with Netflix. Bezos will want it all, and rightly so. 

If they've got any sense, they'll chuck it up there a season at a time. If ever a story was written to be binged, it's this one.

I'd probably watch 1-2 again to be honest. It'll let Bezos know he's in good company liking the show :)

15 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m trying to work out if Netflix having it is bad for Amazon or not. Maybe the more people who see it, the more sign ups you get for S4? Would they get that many just on a show that’s already aired? 

I think it's complicated more than anything else. Netflix did pass on saving the show so it maybe isn't that hot a property for them. No doubt because it gives people 6 months to be tempted by illegal streams/downloads.

One massive plus with Amazon making the show is that everyone will get it at the same time. I think they will be surprised by their ratings. At least one comment on some of the comic/SF sites has said "never heard of the show but after hearing it was cancelled would like to check it out". Amazon just needs to capitalise on that and let people know it's the patron of SFF which it seems to be heading towards with their development slate. It'll probably be what the Sci-Fi channel should be.

Still, I can't see how Amazon can have season 3 until Netflix airs it? I'm guessing Netflix paid upfront for it? And internationally I bet they have seen an uptick in views so will probably want to keep unless Amazon price is high. That said, shows drop off streaming networks all the time in UK (usually at the exact time they appear on another one) so I imagine all non original programming is under license that requires renewals.

Once this is finalised we'll be able to look back and say this was the best thing that ever happened to the show. I imagine the creators have been told they can scrap the 7 season plan and make sure they adapt the whole thing. Although I guess it's still possible to adapt the whole series in that amount of time assuming the last few books aren't epically huge.

Why the hell was that journalism crew on the Roci? I hated them. Was waiting for Amos to space them.

Drummer should've spaced the pusher. To hell with the OPA. The Dawes tattoo line was great.

That final scene with the slingshot racer was one of the most graphic things I've seen on tv. Wow. 

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Why the hell was that journalism crew on the Roci? I hated them. Was waiting for Amos to space them.

Drummer should've spaced the pusher. To hell with the OPA. The Dawes tattoo line was great.

That final scene with the slingshot racer was one of the most graphic things I've seen on tv. Wow. 

S3E7 was good. I wonder what new viewers thought? There is a ton of background in the transition from last episode.

Not having read the books but knowing some sketchy stuff about the story going forward the narrative vista is about to open up, I am interested in how this will be adapted by the show.

Archived