The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

That final scene with the slingshot racer was one of the most graphic things I've seen on tv. Wow. 

And a stern reminder of how vitally important it is for you to properly wear your seatbelt. :)

14 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

That was a Belter version of Highway Star, sir. :)

(Space Truckin was already improved by Ash v Evil Dead)

Dammit, you're right! That's a rookie mistake on my part.

I love that Naomi's accent changed hanging out with the Belters and she did a context switch. That's a great little detail. 

11 hours ago, Astromech said:

Why the hell was that journalism crew on the Roci? I hated them. Was waiting for Amos to space them.

Two things - because Holden and the Roci are at this point heroes beyond anyone else in the universe, having dealt with not one but two separate extinction-level events. And Holden et al need to pay for their legal fees in protecting the Roci. 

Ok... I feel like I missed couple of episodes... I will need someone who has read the books to provide some context.

The ending was amazing. Bloody awesome would be the best description. I missed Avasarala in this episode, I would have wished her role to be more prominent. I also liked Behemoth and Naomi's time there. I suppose we will see some more schemes there.

17 minutes ago, Risto said:

Ok... I feel like I missed couple of episodes... I will need someone who has read the books to provide some context.

The ending was amazing. Bloody awesome would be the best description. I missed Avasarala in this episode, I would have wished her role to be more prominent. I also liked Behemoth and Naomi's time there. I suppose we will see some more schemes there.

Well I don't know how much additional context needs to be provided at this point. Through Avasarala's speech we learn that the war is over, and the conspirators responsible for it were brought to justice. Everyone's main focus now is to study the Ring. It's been several months, as specified.

The only thing that they kinda brushed over was that Anna is part of a clerical delegation. She isn't just there because of her role in the previous events. She is a renowned pastor (I forget what denomination), and there are people from many religions and denominations on that ship. Actually, in the books, this is the first time we meet Anna. She didn't have a role in bringing down Errinwright. Once again the show chose to give more to do and flesh out characters prior to their book appearance (Avasarala in season 1, Bobbie in season 2).

Loved the books, love the series. Why is this being cancelled, I cannot fathom. This has been a great season for the show. Last night, when the shot-slinger went through the ring, was a good scene and I'm waiting to see Roci pass through. Amos is just f&$_!__$._g great! Perfect actor for the character.

44 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Well I don't know how much additional context needs to be provided at this point. Through Avasarala's speech we learn that the war is over, and the conspirators responsible for it were brought to justice. Everyone's main focus now is to study the Ring. It's been several months, as specified.

The only thing that they kinda brushed over was that Anna is part of a clerical delegation. She isn't just there because of her role in the previous events. She is a renowned pastor (I forget what denomination), and there are people from many religions and denominations on that ship. Actually, in the books, this is the first time we meet Anna. She didn't have a role in bringing down Errinwright. Once again the show chose to give more to do and flesh out characters prior to their book appearance (Avasarala in season 1, Bobbie in season 2).

Oh, thanks... I was thinking somewhere between those lines, just to check whether I have missed something. 

I thought this episode was pretty weak stuff, a result of the frankly terrible decision to stagger the books. Compared to the thrilling events of the past few episodes, everything here just felt a little bit dull. 

Watching the first 2 seasons there was a lot to like but there was also plenty to dislike. I hated the serialised nature of the show where the 4-5 heroes face insurmountable odds each week and somehow always come through it within a 45 minute runtime. Then again, when the show was good, it was really good and I especially enjoyed Thomas Jane's role.

I have to say though, season 3 has been consistently very good, definitely the strongest of the lot imo.  And in an age where netflix, amazon and a host of other broadcasters are scouring around for tv show content I can't see how this one won't be snapped up by somebody.

I enjoyed the episode, though it did feel like it jumped around a lot as it introduced the new plot elements. I'll be very interested to see how they adapt Book 3. I thought Abaddon's Gate was a bad book, and it's what made me stop reading the series to begin with. But they seem to have gotten rid of the most boring protagonist of that book, and the version of Ashford we got in this episode is already way more interesting than

Spoiler

the incompetent, one dimensional space captain who goes craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy and whom we have to read about for the last three hundred pages of the book instead of the actual interesting plot involving the protomolecule and aliens.

I'll be interested to see if and how they integrate Bobbie, Avasarala, and Prax into the back half of this season- I'm guessing no Prax, but I hope we get more than glimpses of the first two.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:17 AM, Consigliere said:

I think it's because Syfy only had first-run linear rights in the US so they only cared about live viewership numbers in the US. Amazon has the streaming rights for the first 3 seasons and Netflix has the international rights.

I wonder how it's going to work out here. We have a NZ streaming service that has streamed a lot of Amazon new release material before (like Transparent). But I believe Amazon is now streaming directly in NZ. The Expanse was on the NZ streaming service, and it would be good if it stayed there because at the moment I don;t really have good reason to pay for Amazon as well as using Netflix and the NZ streaming service. The Expanse, by itself is not enough justification.

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I enjoyed the episode, though it did feel like it jumped around a lot as it introduced the new plot elements. I'll be very interested to see how they adapt Book 3. I thought Abaddon's Gate was a bad book, and it's what made me stop reading the series to begin with. But they seem to have gotten rid of the most boring protagonist of that book, and the version of Ashford we got in this episode is already way more interesting than

Reveal hidden contents

the incompetent, one dimensional space captain who goes craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy and whom we have to read about for the last three hundred pages of the book instead of the actual interesting plot involving the protomolecule and aliens.

Agreed. I was never a big fan of Bull and I'm glad they seem to be adding some depth to Ashford. He was awful in AG.

Also, is Bobbie a part of the Martian delegation to the ring? They showed her on a ship and there was very little delay in the conversation between her and Alex so I'm assuming she was on one of the nearby ships.

Spoiler

If this season is 13 episodes long, I'm assuming it's is going to end with both 'Melba' and Holden getting captured?

12 hours ago, Durckad said:

Hide contents

If this season is 13 episodes long, I'm assuming it's is going to end with both 'Melba' and Holden getting captured?

Spoiler

Maybe. I hope they speed through this book, to be honest, and get us to the end or close to it by the end of the season, especially since overall I think they've planned for six seasons of the show, which suggests they'll have to take shortcuts sometime. But if they don't, that seems like a good place to end it.

The best part of the episode for me, aside from Miller's return, was the idiot Belter racer. I loved the Belter versions of Deep Purple and All By Myself. Such a (darkly) funny subplot. 

The Belter versions of music were awesome. That's something that always bugs me in most sci-fi - that music is still 'classical' instead of being something different but similar enough. Belter punk was great. 

And yeah, Naomi/Drummer/Straithairn as a dynamic is a much better conflict, condensing multiple characters into far better meatier roles. Maybe we'll even get to meet Naomi's son. 

People are apparently giving the authors grief for having a guy hit on Amos, and Amos not being offended by it that much. 

Archived