The Expanse #3: Abaddon's Post - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

I love how we are now glorifying Amazon. There are other stuff I like about Amazon but instead I'll steal a comment from youtube and say that it's ironic that the show was saved by someone who may be the real life version of Jules-Pierre Mao. :P

4 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I love how we are now glorifying Amazon. There are other stuff I like about Amazon but instead I'll steal a comment from youtube and say that it's ironic that the show was saved by someone who may be the real life version of Jules-Pierre Mao. :P

In a Trumpian reality Bezos is practically a fucking Paladin

50 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Yeeeeep. My cognitive dissonance is going into overdrive. My brain:

"He saved the Expanse! He loves the books and show! How cool!"

"Wait, why does this guy like a series where the main villains are corporate CEOs?"

"Who cares! He saved it! Yaaaaaay! Amazon Prime!"

"Wait, isn't Amazon still evil?"

"The Expanse yaaaaaaaaaay!"

The broadcast version on SyFy is toned down ("What the heck?" instead of "What the f***?" by Amos when the squid emerged from Venus). On Space, Amazon, DVD/BD it's the original version which has a couple of swearwords per season at least.

Eventful episode as expected.  They are seriously speeding through Book 3, leaving some things the same and other things quite different.

Spoiler

Interesting to think about how they have re-factored the book characters of Bull, Ashford, Michio Pa and Sam on the Behemoth in the book into Drummer, Ashford and Naomi on the Behemoth in the show.

Hoping it's clear to non-book-readers what's going on with Melba, the bomb on the support/science ship in the UN flotilla (Seung Un), and the remote simultaneous take-over of the Rocinante's comms and weapons systems along with the fake Holden video.  My wife wanted/needed an explanation.

Some good fan service, starting with the episode title.  Doors and corners, kid, doors and corners.  Don't rush into a crime scene... until you clear the room... or the room will eat you...

I thought it was clear that the bombing and the message were linked.  I think the show has really done a pretty good job of compressing the Melba storyline, although I wish they had had her epoxy her victim into her tool box as it was in the book.  They were pretty brutal though. 

Strathairn's accent is veering into Joel Grey's from Remo Williams: The Adventure begins.

This was the first episode where I really had an issue with the portrayal of Holden.  The freaking out seems far more intense than it was in the book.

13 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

I thought it was clear that the bombing and the message were linked.  I think the show has really done a pretty good job of compressing the Melba storyline, although I wish they had had her epoxy her victim into her tool box as it was in the book.  They were pretty brutal though. 

Strathairn's accent is veering into Joel Grey's from Remo Williams: The Adventure begins.

This was the first episode where I really had an issue with the portrayal of Holden.  The freaking out seems far more intense than it was in the book.

David Strathairn seems be  to having a ball he usually plays such dignified characters recently. Reminds me of Geoffrey Rush having fun wth Bbarbossa!

It was killing me who the actor was that played the guy that Melba killed.  Looked on IMDB - he was Carl, the janitor from "The Breakfast Club"!  And in a couple of the other brat pack movies as well...and a zillion episodes of various tv shows over the last 30 years.  Hm...maybe I'm showing my age...

4 hours ago, HokieStone said:

It was killing me who the actor was that played the guy that Melba killed.  Looked on IMDB - he was Carl, the janitor from "The Breakfast Club"!  And in a couple of the other brat pack movies as well...and a zillion episodes of various tv shows over the last 30 years.  Hm...maybe I'm showing my age...

Jon Kapelos has been in tons of stuff.  The first show I remember him being regular on was Forever Knight back in the day.  Great character actor!

I'm trying to figure out how the show-changes can reconcile with the book version of the Behemoth plot. 

Spoiler

Drummer has already been somewhat combined with Sam Rosenberg, and somewhat with Michio Pa.  They eliminated Bull from the show, but now have Drummer as captain, Ashford as not-captain, Naomi on board, and no Michio Pa.  Diogo, however, is there. 

I'm trying to figure out if Ashford is captain at some point, with Naomi taking the Sam role with Engineering shenanigans, who is going to get executed like Sam?  There also needs to be someone filling in for Michio Pa during the mutiny/counter mutiny doesn't there?   Is that where Diogo comes in?  I suppose eventually Diogo could be the captain of a Free Navy ship like Michio Pa, or he can end up the one getting killed by Ashford. (but then his plot starts to parallel Naomi's son's plot later on). 

Maybe I am just over-thinking it and they will vastly simplify the Behemoth plot for the show. 

3 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

I'm trying to figure out how the show-changes can reconcile with the book version of the Behemoth plot. 

Hide contents

Drummer has already been somewhat combined with Sam Rosenberg, and somewhat with Michio Pa.  They eliminated Bull from the show, but now have Drummer as captain, Ashford as not-captain, Naomi on board, and no Michio Pa.  Diogo, however, is there. 

I'm trying to figure out if Ashford is captain at some point, with Naomi taking the Sam role with Engineering shenanigans, who is going to get executed like Sam?  There also needs to be someone filling in for Michio Pa during the mutiny/counter mutiny doesn't there?   Is that where Diogo comes in?  I suppose eventually Diogo could be the captain of a Free Navy ship like Michio Pa, or he can end up the one getting killed by Ashford. (but then his plot starts to parallel Naomi's son's plot later on). 

Maybe I am just over-thinking it and they will vastly simplify the Behemoth plot for the show. 

It's kind of nice that I plowed through the books so quickly as they came out.  There's a whole bunch of stuff that I don't even remember from the books, like Anna or Shed or Ashford or even Erenwright.  So there's some surprises for me, and I'm not getting bent out of shape if something happens a little differently.  Horrible reading comprehension FTW!!!

Archived