Patchface

AdoraKitty

23 hours ago, LynnS said:

ran names himself the prince of the greenwood; so I'm guessing that this will have something to do with the green men and the Isle of Faces. Patchface wears a tatoo'd mask of red and green checker board and sports antlers and motley in grey and green.  The colors of the sea and sentinel trees.  

We have seen green fire though, wildfire burns with a green flame and it's potency has increased magically too. House Baratheon is also strongly connected to Fire /Red through Targaryen blood (and I guess Fire/Black through Orys as a Targ bastard) but also to Water through the Storm King and Durrandon line. I see Patchface's checkered face as a reflection of those ties and see him as a sort of oracle for that house much like Nan is the oracle of House Stark. The grey in his motley I'm a little perplexed by, as I see that as an Ice symbol. I've started trying to place characters using color as a connection or affinity to what I think are three sources of magic and I think each source had three not two like I mentioned in my previous thread. I think Ice is White/Blue/Grey. Fire is Red/Black/Purple. Water is Green/Yellow/Brown. It's interesting to try putting characters into color groups and affinities with those magic sources and think about where there power lies but also what power they may lack. Sometimes I think the lack is more key. For example, Bran is a blue eyed, red haired Stark with a grey pelted, yellow eyed direwolf. Jon is a grey eyed, brown haired Snow with a white pelted, red eyed direwolf. Bran is a greenseer. Jon is a Black brother. Both characters with strong magical abilities and potential. Bran lacks black, purple and white. Jon lacks yellow, blue and green. Bran is Fire deficient, maybe and Jon Water deficient? I'm not sure, but it keeps me up passed my bedtime sometimes thinking about it.

Blue fire is Other's magic. Green will almost certainly be Euron's. Black I don't know, I would think Dany is the third player in the raising of the undead but Dany thematically should be red, for the red fiery heart of the dragon. Drogo is black for his braid, so I suppose it has to be his, before Dany turns it red. 

3 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

We have seen green fire though, wildfire burns with a green flame and it's potency has increased magically too.

I wasn't aware that that wildfire itself had increased it's potency.  It may be that the alchemists who employ magic spells in it's creation have become more effective since the comets appearance..  This would be akin to the fire mage climbing a fiery ladder:

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys III

Dany had not noticed Quaithe in the crowd, yet there she stood, eyes wet and shiny behind the implacable red lacquer mask. "What mean you, my lady?"

"Half a year gone, that man could scarcely wake fire from dragonglass. He had some small skill with powders and wildfire, sufficient to entrance a crowd while his cutpurses did their work. He could walk across hot coals and make burning roses bloom in the air, but he could no more aspire to climb the fiery ladder than a common fisherman could hope to catch a kraken in his nets."

I'm not sure what green fire represents unless it's insanity and rage.

A Game of Thrones - Bran IV

The direwolf heard the voice, glanced at Bran, and again at Lannister. He crept backward, away from the little man, and settled down below Bran's dangling feet.

Robb had been holding his breath. He let it out with a sigh and called, "Grey Wind." His direwolf moved to him, swift and silent. Now there was only Shaggy dog, rumbling at the small man, his eyes burning like green fire.

A Game of Thrones - Eddard XII

How could they have all been so blind? The truth was there in front of them all the time, written on the children's faces. Ned felt sick. "I remember Robert as he was the day he took the throne, every inch a king," he said quietly. "A thousand other women might have loved him with all their hearts. What did he do to make you hate him so?"

Her eyes burned, green fire in the dusk, like the lioness that was her sigil. "The night of our wedding feast, the first time we shared a bed, he called me by your sister's name. He was on top of me, in me, stinking of wine, and he whispered Lyanna."

Specifically related to Dany, green represents betrayal and antagonistic forces. The uncomfortable slippers of green freshwater pearls from King Cleon come Cleon the Butcher who tried to get Dany to marry and ally with him. (Euron alert). The green grace. The coming dance, Greens Vs Dany's blacks.

Generally Green also speaks to corruption, demonic characteristics. The wildfire at the Blackwater becomes a green demon. In Asshai the waters of the Ash glimmer with a pale green phosphorescence by night, it is poison to drink by humans and its fish are deformed, twisted and blind. The southern most explored land of Sothoryos where be monsters is called the Green Hell.

Green, blue, and black smoke:

I suspect that it is important that the colored smoke in Patchface's song is matched by eye-colors in three characters with heterochromia; Tyrion's green and black, Euron's blue and black, and Shiera Sestar's green and blue. I further suspect that this ultimately ties into the eye-color and magic (greenseers, for example, or violet-eyed Valyrians)- making red and white(which is associated with heterochromia only by Bloodraven and his missing eye's white, socket-invading root) significant in their absence.

On 10/21/2017 at 2:46 AM, LynnS said:

Oh no problem.  I break out into panic when I can't find my glasses or my spare glasses; which I need to find my glasses.

I did my search on 'bubbles' and blowing bubbles of blood comes up as well, including drowning in blood when the lung is punctured.  It's the hot blood that heats the body and moves the air in the lungs throughout the body.  There is also a reference to Hodor bathing in the hot pools  of Winterfell and blowing bubbles when he breaks the surface.  As well there are bubbling hot pools and bodies rendered into blood and bones in the manner of the Silent Sisters preparing a body after death.

Nice!
I am rereading your post here and I just want to say real quickly that the way you described the heat and movement here also reminds me of how Catelyn describes Winterfell being heated by the "watery walls", which she compares to blood in a persons body. This whole passage is filled with symbolism. I love it!

A Game of Thrones - Catelyn II

Of all the rooms in Winterfell's Great Keep, Catelyn's bedchambers were the hottest. She seldom had to light a fire. The castle had been built over natural hot springs, and the scalding waters rushed through its walls and chambers like blood through a man's body, driving the chill from the stone halls, filling the glass gardens with a moist warmth, keeping the earth from freezing. Open pools smoked day and night in a dozen small courtyards. That was a little thing, in summer; in winter, it was the difference between life and death.
Catelyn's bath was always hot and steaming, and her walls warm to the touch. The warmth reminded her of Riverrun, of days in the sun with Lysa and Edmure, but Ned could never abide the heat. The Starks were made for the cold, he would tell her, and she would laugh and tell him in that case they had certainly built their castle in the wrong place.

Interesting observations.  I would add one other; Renly's magic armor which makes the eyes of anyone who wears it, appear green.  This would be consistent with the notion that green and blue fire are reflected in the eyes of the one who is transformed.

A Game of Thrones - Sansa I

One knight wore an intricate suit of white enameled scales, brilliant as a field of new-fallen snow, with silver chasings and clasps that glittered in the sun. When he removed his helm, Sansa saw that he was an old man with hair as pale as his armor, yet he seemed strong and graceful for all that. From his shoulders hung the pure white cloak of the Kingsguard.

His companion was a man near twenty whose armor was steel plate of a deep forest-green. He was the handsomest man Sansa had ever set eyes upon; tall and powerfully made, with jet-black hair that fell to his shoulders and framed a clean-shaven face, and laughing green eyes to match his armor. Cradled under one arm was an antlered helm, its magnificent rack shimmering in gold.

The armor was made by Tobho Mott who knows the spells to use.

A Game of Thrones - Eddard VI

Ned sipped his wine and let the man go on. The Knight of Flowers bought all his armor here, Tobho boasted, and many high lords, the ones who knew fine steel, and even Lord Renly, the king's own brother. Perhaps the Hand had seen Lord Renly's new armor, the green plate with the golden antlers? No other armorer in the city could get that deep a green; he knew the secret of putting color in the steel itself, paint and enamel were the crutches of a journeyman. Or mayhaps the Hand wanted a blade? Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew. "The direwolf is the sigil of House Stark, is it not? I could fashion a direwolf helm so real that children will run from you in the street," he vowed.

The green armor and antlered helm are iconic symbols of the green men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man

A Dance with Dragons - The Ugly Little Girl

One time, the girl remembered, the Sailor's Wife had walked her rounds with her and told her tales of the city's stranger gods. "That is the house of the Great Shepherd. Three-headed Trios has that tower with three turrets. The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. I don't know what the middle head's supposed to do. Those are the Stones of the Silent God, and there the entrance to the Patternmaker's Maze. Only those who learn to walk it properly will ever find their way to wisdom, the priests of the Pattern say. Beyond it, by the canal, that's the temple of Aquan the Red Bull. Every thirteenth day, his priests slit the throat of a pure white calf, and offer bowls of blood to beggars."

The Green Man appears in many forms, with the three most common types categorized as:

the Foliate Head: completely covered in green leaves

the Disgorging Head: spews vegetation from its mouth

the Bloodsucker Head: sprouts vegetation from all facial orifices (e.g. tear ducts, nostrils and mouth)[6][7]

In the drowned god version of the green man; his priests are covered in seaweed rather than foliage.

Archived