Dany speaks Valyrian!

Yukle

This is still really annoying me: Dany speaks Valyrian. It's her first language. Having Melisandre correct her was so stupid because it showed a lack of creative writing from the show to think of a way to have this moment without boring exposition.

In fact, Dany's mother tongue was important in the show when she got Drogon to burn the faces off the slavers when she "bought" the Unsullied!

I know this is a trivial tidbit, but I am annoyed at the show's loosening continuity. From Varys teleporting, to Littlefinger's jetpack (I assume), to Stannis and Yara apparently not noticing armies a stone's throw away, this is getting really sloppy!

Well if it helps some people have a hard time figuring everything out and I think when dany said valyrian was her mother tounge I thing she was pointing out she was a targ and the blood of old valyria. Plus some things can be hard. Look at how many different ways "their" can be used in the english language

for example

Look over THERE

we are going to THEIR house

THEY'RE going home.

See they all sound the same when we speak.

Sort of, but not quite. Dany would think in Valyrian, speak it when she isn't at court. The show has her speak English for the convenience of the audience, but when she'd have no need to speak English (or Andal, more accurate to the in-universe name), she wouldn't. It's only a big deal because she would know the grammar of her own language and she would know that the word lacked gender.

It was lazy exposition because they couldn't figure out a way to neatly have this explained to the audience. You'd have thought that one of the Maesters could've mentioned it to Sam, among all of their being useless.

I'm not quite sure about the mother tongue thing - would it mean that the Targs were bilingual among themselves?

But even if she was taught it later, she would still realize the gender problem - in my mother tongue, there are no genderless words, so we are pretty much aware that "teacher" or "doctor" can refer to both male and female in English.

Archived