[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

The Exposition Hour yet again. Over and over again, endless exposition. Third episode in a row.

And if Bran knows everything that happened then first order of business would be telling Sandra about Littlefinger so he can be executed for his crimes. But then what would they do for a season of Winterhell filler?

And Jaime is so despicable, they even had him holding Cersei's hand while looking at her adoringly. In the books, long ago, Jaime burned her letter begging him to save her life. The show loves to trash characters.

The show wastes the word "love" on evil psychos, who get to say the word, and have it said about them. Meanwhile the characters who have genuine love for others in the books never get to express it on the show.

What an empty show with empty characters doing empty things for empty reasons that they blather on endlessly about in empty ways.

Tyrion has done absolutely nothing to be Dany's Hand. He made a mess of Meereen and his strategy in Westeros has failed miserably.

Show-Tyrion is now basically an all-round good guy who is terrible at what he should be doing best.

Give me Book-Tyrion over this any day. Give me "the greyest of the grey" (as GRRM called him) who will certainly do a much better job  as Dany's Hand than the show's useless 'nice guy' imposter.

10 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

The Exposition Hour yet again. Over and over again, endless exposition. Third episode in a row.

And if Bran knows everything that happened then first order of business would be telling Sandra about Littlefinger so he can be executed for his crimes. But then what would they do for a season of Winterhell filler?

And Jaime is so despicable, they even had him holding Cersei's hand while looking at her adoringly. In the books, long ago, Jaime burned her letter begging him to save her life. The show loves to trash characters.

The show wastes the word "love" on evil psychos, who get to say the word, and have it said about them. Meanwhile the characters who have genuine love for others in the books never get to express it on the show.

What an empty show with empty characters doing empty things for empty reasons that they blather on endlessly about in empty ways.

One of the most tedious elements is when they have characters sit on information for a long time so they can place it in the last episode or penultimate episode for maximum "dramatic" effect. Like Davos not asking about Shireen for how long in season six. They likely want a big "oh wow" moment in E6 to get rid of Littlefinger, so nobody's going to pay him any mind until then. 

14 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

This is basically it. Nothing means anything, except that everyone wants either justice or revenge and ultimately that gets them killed.

49 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I too was unaware of Sandra going to armor engineering school and winter warfare school. But, maybe they believe in cross training in Weisofftros. Can't wait until Bronze Yohn instructs Sandra on what makes a good lemon cake and courtesy.

Ha ha ha. Sandra the armor expert. She's decked out in her Romulan uniform and choke chain of empowerment, after all. Well, St. Tyrion declared the marriage a sham since it was unconsummated, they hammered in she's free. So when a certain dog arrives next season, she's already got the collar.

24 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I wouldn't worry about that, personally. GRRM isn't going to have long-winded chapters of people petitioning one-another. Chapters always have characters actually doing things and there's always something bubbling underneath.

I'm not worried about boring exposition, I'm worried about… well, I don't know how to say it better than I did the first time: that the last two books will be more and more focused on the military drama, which GRRM isn't any better at than D&D, rather than the character and political intrigue, which he is better at (and they're not that bad at).

2 minutes ago, The Knight in Motley said:

What the hell was that line about Missandei being one of Dany's greatest advisors?  She's a translator and basically at this point her work is done.

She's become a lot more than a translator to Dany. She's clearly Dany's closest confidante, with the possible exception of Tyrion. And given that Dany only has three or four advisors, she's one of Dany's greatest three or four advisors.

Even in the novels, where she's 11 years old instead of older than Dany, and she has a much smaller part, and there are more people involved, Dany (and others, like Barristan) is constantly talking or thinking about how wise and clever she is, and how she's the only person who can be trusted 100% and so on.

6 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

This is basically it. Nothing means anything, except that everyone wants either justice or revenge and ultimately that gets them killed.

So Littlefinger's little everywhere always in your mind monologue, that's like "nothing is just nothing" on hallucinogenics. Tilt at windmills, Sandra! The political mastermind is trailing Sandra around blathering incoherently while she oversees armor making.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:09 AM, Le Cygne said:

Ha ha ha. Sandra the armor expert. She's decked out in her Romulan uniform and choke chain of empowerment, after all. Well, St. Tyrion declared the marriage a sham since it was unconsummated, they hammered in she's free. So when a certain dog arrives next season, she's already got the collar.

LOL. Nice to see they spelled out that Tyrion/Sansa isn't a thing.

Also, I’m glad she is doing something about the “Romulan Dress Gap”. I’d hate for the North to fall behind in that crucial area, putting it a disadvantage to everyone else.

I mean everyone knows, that Romulan clothing means that you really mean business.

29 minutes ago, AlpenglowMemories said:

One of the most tedious elements is when they have characters sit on information for a long time so they can place it in the last episode or penultimate episode for maximum "dramatic" effect. Like Davos not asking about Shireen for how long in season six. They likely want a big "oh wow" moment in E6 to get rid of Littlefinger, so nobody's going to pay him any mind until then. 

Cogman said that's deliberate, like he's proud of it. They wait until just before something plays into the plot to bring it up again. "The Big Moment" doesn't come about organically that way. Then again what's natural about any of this. They are a bunch of stick figures wandering about making expository speeches.

So Cersei and Euron apparently know every strategy that Dany and Tyrion are going to employ while Dany and Tyrion have no idea what the enemy is doing for... reasons? I guess? I guess that goes back to the theme of this season where everyone knows everything unless it is easier for the plot that they don't know something big.

And taking Ellaria prisoner defeats the Dorne army? If you are going to use the hostage reason at least have Tyrion say something like "With Ellaria taken prisoner the Dornish army is holding in reserve to try and get her back", something anything to explain why the Dornish are no longer going to be an ally. And how did the Tyrell army fall so easily? They are considered one of the freshest armies (as there is no storming of Dragonstone in the show) and the lannisters are one of the most depleted. It just doesn't make any sense. And I'm curious as to who is defending Kings Landing right now? The Lannister army is at Highgarden and Euron is at the Rock.

Why are people in the street cheering for Euron and Cersei? She just destroyed the Sept and the high septon that the people loved. Everyone knows it, I still do not understand how the small folk support her in the slightest other then again... reason. And isn't the King's Landing completely unprotected now? The Lannister army is at High Garden and Euron is at the rock.

So at the end of (I think Season 5) when Bronn was saying good by to the SS it zoomed in on her hand while they kissed. I speculated she gave him a cure and Mycella was going to live. Clearly I was wrong, but now I'm wondering if she did give him a cure for the poison that he will now use to help her. And didn't the show already imply that this poison takes a couple of minutes to work? Mycella was dead on the ship before it left the harbor, so whats with this it takes several days to work stuff?

The Jon/Dany scene was horrible. Dany is all I'm rightful queen and Jon stands there like a dumbfounded idiot. Of course, everyone must be in awe of Dany's magnifiance. And is Emilia Clarke going to have her deadpan stare for the entire season? What am I saying? Of course she is. Mel thinks she brought Ice and Fire together. Didn't D&D literally already confirm R+L=J? So why have Mel say that stupid line. And what's with Missandei's weird smirk?

Jamie is a lost cause. If and when they decide to wake him up from his stupor will anyone care? Euron's looks and like a cartoon and all his taunting of Jamie is getting so lame. 

And are we supposed to root for Cersei when she taunts Ellaria and kills Tyene?

And look what a fine job Sansa is doing running Winterfell. Sansa the seamstress has all these ideas no one else has. LF is admiring his prodigy and giving her BS advice that no one understands. And cold-hearted Bran shows up with no emotions who in his first conversation with his sister in years reminds of her rape on her wedding night. So Arya and Bran are emotionless and cold now. 

Jamie just strolls into Highgarden and meets no resistance, why? Because the Tarly's have joined the Lannisters. At least Olenna taunted stupid Jamie before she died.  

- Daenerys is just priceless. "Yeah, I'm sorry that my dad killed your uncle and grandfather, but it's not my fault. I can't speak for what my daddy did. But you are bound by an oath my three hundred years ago by someone. Dragon logic, duh?"

- Daenerys is just childlish.

- I suppose that Daenerys doesn't know a thing or care about guest right.

- Miss going bitch mode while meeting guests

- Casterley Rock is probably called "Rock" because... um... it's a fancy name. It seems to me that Unsullied just landed on the beaches and went like 20 steps and were under the walls.

- Bran giving zero damns about meeting Sansa after 6 seasons.

- Bran: "I know everything! But telling Sansa that daddy was killed because of LF isn't necessary."

EDIT:

- Cersei not caring at all about Yara.

- the Lannisters not having any leaders but Jaime and Randyll and so the other commanders are a sellsword called Bronn and Randyll's son.

- Dragonstone throne room is just lame and boring.

- Olenna not saying a single word about LF's role in Joffrey's death because she wouldn't want Cersei and her ally of uncertain status to fall apart, would she?

- Everyone, absolutely everyone suddenly knows that Myrcella, Joffrey and Tommen were Jaime's children. I suppose that Ned Stark post it on Twitter before his death.

EDIT 2:

- Sansa suddenly knows everything about everything, including armor etc. Bran who?

- of course the super complicated surgery thing would work on Jorah and the best thing about it, his skin is practically intact! Just a few red places here and there. I guess I know what Shrek meant when he says that he has different layers like an onion...

So in two episodes every single advantage Dany had over Cersei was taken from her through deus ex machina.

1) her fleet of Martell and Tyrell ships that ended season 6 vanished from existence.
2) despite having no army with them it was decided that Olenna and the Sand Snakes should travel unprotected and unguarded to Dragonstone god knows why. So they could talk over a table maybe? They couldn't do this in Meereen when they were all reunited?
3) once on Dragonstone it was decided that Olenna and the Sand Snakes should NOW travel to their seats. sea snakes went with the greyjoys, so they were ambushed and destroyed. Olenna was smarter and travelled by magic teleportation instead of ships and as such she reached Highgarden safely.
4) last season it was said that Yara stole the majority of the Iron Fleet, but apparently Euron built another fleet even bigger without any problem. in fact his new fleet is so powerful he can divide it in two and attack both Yara AND the Unsullied despite being a continent away from each other.
5) jaime successfully used his telepathy to learn of Tyrion's plan and made his own counter-plan moving his army of ten thousand men from Casterly Rock to Highgarden, because as we all know the Tyrells have no army whatsoever.

So in two episodes every single advantage Dany had over Cersei was taken from her through deus ex machina.

1) her fleet of Martell and Tyrell ships that ended season 6 vanished from existence.
2) despite having no army with them it was decided that Olenna and the Sand Snakes should travel unprotected and unguarded to Dragonstone god knows why. So they could talk over a table maybe? They couldn't do this in Meereen when they were all reunited?
3) once on Dragonstone it was decided that Olenna and the Sand Snakes should NOW travel to their seats. sea snakes went with the greyjoys, so they were ambushed and destroyed. Olenna was smarter and travelled by magic teleportation instead of ships and as such she reached Highgarden safely.
4) last season it was said that Yara stole the majority of the Iron Fleet, but apparently Euron built another fleet even bigger without any problem. in fact his new fleet is so powerful he can divide it in two and attack both Yara AND the Unsullied despite being a continent away from each other.
5) jaime successfully used his telepathy to learn of Tyrion's plan and made his own counter-plan moving his army of ten thousand men from Casterly Rock to Highgarden, because as we all know the Tyrells have no army whatsoever.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:38 AM, Nerevanin said:

- Daenerys is just priceless. "Yeah, I'm sorry that my dad killed your uncle and grandfather, but it's not my fault. I can't speak for what my daddy did. But you are bound by an oath my three hundred years ago by someone. Dragon logic, duh?"

Yeah, I think Jon should have probably asked for a copy of the contract. For some reason, I just don't think Torrhen agreed to: House Stark will serve House Targaryen forever, no matter what House Targaryen does.

A few things I find worthwhile raving about at this point.

Show writers decided to take another piss on book lore by having the Iron Bank of Braavos being investors in slave trade. Yup, an institution founded by the descendants of escaped slaves, operated in a city that constantly fights against the slave trade, deals in the slave trade. The only reason why Cersei’s ridiculous argument even worked in that scene was because they made this change – the Iron Bank lost money because of Dany’s actions in Slaver’s Bay.

The Oldtown stuff has quickly become utterly ridiculous; I gave it a pass until now, but wow, talk about glossing over sensible details.

• How long did Sam’s procedure take? Please tell me it wasn’t one night, even though the writing implies as much.
  • Then there is the fact that Sam achieved this miraculous thing, which maybe isn’t so miraculous, but just dangerous. All you have to do is follow the book instructions to the letter, and done. But apparently the maesters, the best trained people in medicine, are unwilling to do this, because who knows, their hands might shake, and they can get infected.
  • So all it takes is to follow book instructions to perform a complex, difficult, and dangerous procedure, no practice necessary. Just give Sam his chain already, a cartload of books, and send him on his way.

The military disasters for Dany’s camp in this episode showcased those people’s utter stupidity, stupidity which only exists to make Dany dependent on an alliance with Jon, and prolong the war with Cersei. The writers essentially created their own “Meereenese Knot” from the very beginning of this season, by having Dany arrive without any problems in Westeros, with a huge army and fleet, and settle herself in a very strategic position, pretty much at Cersei’s doorstep. So this stuff that happened was the writers untying cutting the knot they created in a few quick moves.

4 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Maybe LF was just repeating what he learned by reading Sun Tzu and Clausewitz.

Let's just hope though anyone facing a White Walker, with big ice sword, doesn't try to fight that battle "in their own mind". I mean at least I'd hope they'd  turn and run away.

I assumed was a disciple of the Thousandfold Thought.:P (Bakker fans will know)

Archived