[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

21 hours ago, athmystikal said:

I am sick an tired of Dany's million mile long stream of titles. I guess by the end of the series, she will acquire even more titles that it would take at least a couple of minutes to recite them all.

Jon being at Dragon Stone still does not make any sense. He should have sent his Hand or an emissary. And he should not have let Dany's guards strip them of their weapons. They went there after she 'invited' them (the raven scroll clearly says 'Invited').

Jon at least should have brought Ghost. That would have made him look more regal. Dany has her dragons and they were used to intimidate Jon and Davos. If Jon had his giant dire wolf with him Missendei would have been smirking like she did.

Didn't Brandon Stark (Ned Stark's brother) die by strangling himself in an attempt to save his father? I think this what they showed in the Histories and Lore series. But in this Ep, Jon says 'He burned my uncle alive'.

And I am totally confused with the Euron/KL/Dragonstone timeline.

So in Ep:1, we have Yara sailing for KL. She got ambushed by Euron in Ep2. In this Episode, Euron reaches KL, parades the Sand Snakes and then manages to ambush the Unsullied at CR soon after the later has captured the Castle. How is this even possible? I know 'things happen' at different timelines. But in this case the timeline is shared between the two. One argument would be to say that it was not Euron but one of his Captains . But then you'll have to wonder how they knew about the Unsullied sailing for CR. If that information was extracted out of the Dornish/Yara crew, then there is no way they'd reach CR that quickly. The fact that Jaimie got enough time to move majority of his army away from CR indicates that Euron decided to go to CR only after his little parade in KL.

I think that the show has fused victarion and euron together, and my guess would be that in the book, victarion takes out asha and euron takes out the unsullied.

2 hours ago, WSmith84 said:

The only reason Jon really has for not kneeling in exchange for help is that his lords might not accept it. He's a newly-made King, and he can be unmade just as easily. His lords didn't even want him to go to Dragonstone; I'm not sure they'd accept him bowing to a foreign invader (and after being LC in the show Jon should be more wary of making unpopular decisions, even when they are right). That isn't mentioned in the show, obviously, either because Jon doesn't want to let Dany know how delicate his position is or because the writing is poor. I'm betting on the latter, but you never know.

He has more reasons than that. This is the daughter of the Mad King, who killed his relatives and caused what he thought was his father to go to war. We know she is no Mad King (though she's more power-mad than she used to be, even as her would-be empire falls apart), but he doesn't. He doesn't know anything about her. 

Second, though he brought in Wildlings, he knew some Wildlings personally. He doesn't know Dothraki, Unsullied, or dragons for that matter. I know only the bad guys on the show (Carol, Sam's dad, Larry as Carol's errand boy) are arguing against foreigner armies, and we're suppose to think it's a shortsighted, racist attitude. But there are legitimate concerns. 

Also, is it clear that he knows dragons are going to be useful against the dead? He can put the fire thing together, but dragons just came back into existence. Does he know people can ride them, or is that part of the legend? 

22 hours ago, The Knight of Flours said:

One thing I didn't like was Dany's reference to her 'rape'.  When was this?  Was she referring to her wedding night with Khal Drogo? (albeit the show made it seem more rape-like than the books).

Dany for the first time REALLY came off as a total spoiled brat bitch.  She pushed the limits of her endless titles over in Essos but it was plausible because she was conquering everything.  But when she met with Jon, my opinion toward that was very much changed.  I was like "who the F are you, you came here In Name Only and demanding Jon to bow". 

It was the first time we see her in Westeros - a place where she has conquered nothing yet.  Jon played it well by neither fearing her or bowing and also reminding her she is basically just another CLAIMANT like anyone else.  I thought that was fabulous.  He put her in her place without it being offensive.  I mean, what was she gonna do, burn him alive?  She probably would have if it wouldn't ruin her chances as a peaceful agreement with "the people".

So, First Time Dany-Be-Bitch for me.

1 hour ago, Ser Snowflake said:

So are we to believe that Ser Jaime caught a ship with his future brother Euron to CR ahead of Dany's fleet carrying the Unsullied, and that Ser Jaime raised an army of Westerman (I guess they could have sent a raven from KL) and marched all of the way to Highgarden unopposed? House Rowan, Crane, Roxton, Oakheart, and the other lords of the Northern Marches of the Reach should have at least made an attempt to hinder the Lannister invasion.  Are we to believe that all of the other houses of the Reach joined House Tarly in breaking their oaths to House Tyrell?The Reach can raise an army double the size of the Westerlands, and should have had proper motivation to face them in the field.

The lengths the show goes to prop up Cersei and the Lannisters irks me. The Faith should be at war with Cersei alongside the Tyrells and most of the smallfolk who died in that blast. There comes a time when a ruler becomes so cruel that the people all rise up to get rid of the cancer that is Tyranny. That is exactly what happened to the Mad King. Cersei has less support than he did. D&D had to give her the Greyjoys as an ally, and as improbable as that alliance is, it still shouldn't give her an edge over her enemies, which include the North, Vale, Riverlands, Stormlands, Dorne, and the Reach, and the Mother of Dragons.

They had to make Dany's crew complete idiots in order for Cersei to be winning. Cersei took the IT without the love of the people and she is doing fine. In fact, she climbed to power by drowning the realm in blood. But Tyrion tells Dany she must win the people over.

Varys all of the sudden is an idiot, Tyrion is useless, and her Khalasar is nonexistent. In the first few seasons, Varys knew all. He was on top of everything. What happen to him?  Why isn't Dany shadowing her fleet with her dragons. Are they charging her per flight?

If D&D wants to go for shock value, they should have Euron betray Cersei for Dany. Cersei should not be winning. I've noticed a decline in the quality of the writing ever since they ran out of source material.

What they oughta do is cater the show to the real sharpies, I mean the brightest of the bright, like you.  They oughta have a calendar they could dissolve in between scenes, and they could just tear off pages to show the proper passage of time. That way, the real bright folks like you would know that the right number of days had passed for sea voyages, army marches, and suchlike. 

17 minutes ago, darmody said:

I'm certain Emo Crow and the Dragon Lady will have sex, which is gross. But they want to build up to it (i.e. drag it out). It's gotta be romantic. First they hate eachother, then they get used to eachother, then passion takes over.

My hope is that they'll subvert the Moonlighting/Cheers crap, NewsRadio style: First they hate each other, but they have sex anyway. Then they can do a version of all the will-they-won't-they stuff after the fact.

Two stressed-out young people with very little romantic experience who are attracted to each other. They're both single, they live in a fantasy world with a 100% effective morning-after herb, and neither of them has a boss, or a god they believe in, or any other excuse not to do it. When they get turned on by their argument about dragons or whatever the way TV people do, what's going to stop them?

Plus, Davos playing the Beth-from-NewsRadio role as the only one who knows they had sex and advises them both on containing the resulting ugly scenes, that would be hilarious.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned by others, but the website is going too slow for me to read all the comments.

im not even paying attention to the show anymore, but i get grief from my unsullied gf if i dont 'watch' it with her (im doing well with my rome 2 campaign).

here goes:

Did cersei try to kill jamie through use of a poison bj after killing the last SS (only bit i enjoyed) mama.

incest is all the rage, bran the peeping tom watching sansa get raped, saying she looked beautiful?! At least theon looked uncomfortable. I never knew westeros had weirhub available.

Who raped dany?? If she was raped did bran watch through weirhub??

the IB investing in slaves, a practice which is thoroughly banned by the secret former slave city of braavos.

who the hell is defending dragonstone?? Im no military leader, but surely sending your main army to the otherside of the continent isnt a superb idea. Are the dothraki going to use their horse skills on the rolling plains of dragonstone when the fight comes.

has not-euron knicked the caterpillar drive from red october as no one ever sees him coming!!

where is the army of highgarden, which has fought no wars, so should be huge unlike the depleted war weary lannister army.

Ser jorah looks likes hes just had a bad reaction to a halloween costume. Did jeor save sam many times?? Cant believe we lost JC and faegon for this. I like iain glenn, but he should be dead. Will JS behead him as a traitor of the north?? It is so clear who d&d consider their fabourites in the show.

bran you are mot the three eyed raven if that was a hereditary title you would be the three eyed crow(still annoys me)

this adaptation if you can call it that is an absolute shambles, no coherent plot or consistency.

rant over

1 hour ago, Vaea said:

I think that the show has fused victarion and euron together, and my guess would be that in the book, victarion takes out asha and euron takes out the unsullied.

But Isn't Victarion already on Dany's side? And Asha is a captive of Stannis.

So perhaps the Greyjoy brothers would be fighting each other instead of Yara.

58 minutes ago, massoir said:

Who raped dany?? If she was raped did bran watch through weirhub??...who the hell is defending dragonstone?? 

Dragons defend Dragonstone.

I assume Dany was referring to Khal Drago. She obviously didn't want to marry him, was afraid of him, and hated the sex at first. Then again, she did consent to the marriage, technically. At least I think she did. She thought of it as bondage, and the brother spoke of it that way, but I'm not sure the show depicted him as having that much power.

It wasn't like Sansa, who was a hostage of war. With Tyrion, at least. With Ramsey, she consented. But unlike Ramsey, Khal didn't assault his wife above and beyond sex. That was rape because he abused his husbandly privilege.

As I said, Dany didn't want to go through with it, but the way I remember it she went along, with reservations. She looked scared, but scared enough to say she was coerced? I don't know. 

She was definitely sexually assaulted by her brother. Was rape implied in their relationship?

The line was weird, considering she ended up in love with Drogo. I'm betting she meant Viserys. 

6 hours ago, PrettyPig said:

To hopefully clear something up on the confusion about Bran's arc and IHW's acting...

I think this may be one area in which D&D actually fucking listened to what GRRM had to say about the characters in their roles beyond the published books.     GRRM admires writer/former DC Comics novelist Alan Moore (even invited him to participate in Wild Cards), who is best known for his series Watchmen.   If you're familiar with Watchmen at all, it's pretty clear that Bran/3EC/R/Whatever in his current 'enlightened' form is modeled after the character Dr. Manhattan - this emotionally devoid superbeing with unfathomable power over humanity, etc etc.

Of course, channeling this to television vis a vis a medieval fantasy background is difficult to do anyway, much less with basically zero build up or lead in so that the audience fully understands what is happening.   I think D&D tried, and I think IHW understood where they were going/what they were doing with it, but there just wasn't enough background and the whole thing fell flatter than Bran's responses.

Anyway, for the rest of the season just imagine IHW as a big naked blue guy with a hydrogen symbol on his forehead and you should be good to go.   LOL

You may well be right.  Like everything with this show, proper set-up would have been nice.

5 hours ago, Sea Dragon said:

<>

And I have one more question. I heard that Summer the direwolf was killed last season (I did not watch it) but did they also kill Ghost?

No, he's just disappeared from the story.  He'll turn up when they want to kill him off, I'm sure.

4 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

I can't wait to see the part where Dany goes "eww, I just had sex with a fire wight."

Spoiler

Since GRRM said Beric has no heart beat, his blood doesn't flow, penetrative sex is kind of out of the question for Jon.

The plus-point is then - resurrected Jon (if it happens in the books) won't be after boatsex. Can you say hallelujah!

I think this episode finally confirmed Euron=Daario Naharis. It always was an OK theory regarding character appearances and motivations but the timeline did not make sense at all. Now we know Euron can teleport his fleet around the 14 Seas, so is not an issue anymore.

Also, where is Daario? I kind of remember Dany telling him to stay behind so she could marry a Westerosi lord for legitimacy. I do not understand why she does not call him back; considering her rival is now banging her brother in public, who is to complain about just a foreign lover?

Also, what is up with KL smallfolk? Are they really calling the woman who killed an abomination form incest and the daughter of the queen who blew up the High Sept a murderer? At the very least, the city population should be split in two camps, not unanimously cheering for Cersei.

49 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

Also, where is Daario? I kind of remember Dany telling him to stay behind so she could marry a Westerosi lord for legitimacy. I do not understand why she does not call him back; considering her rival is now banging her brother in public, who is to complain about just a foreign lover?

He's in Meereen. Dany created a provisional council can devise a system of government that gives power to the people, and left him in charge, with the Second Sons as the people's army, until they do so.

I'm not sure how D&D intend us to believe this will turn out. Is Dany's council of uneducated former slaves, religious leaders, and rebellious sons going to invent modern representative democracy in a society that doesn't have the philosophical or historical background, and then implement it without a hitch, and then elect Daario as President for a few terms a la Washington or de Gaulle? Or are we supposed to think Dany was being naive about politics, and they're going to end up with a badly-designed medieval commune that quickly falls apart and Daario runs for his life as the city burns like book!Astapor? Or that she was naive about Daario, and he's going to make himself First Citizen of a Republic that's basically an autocratic empire in all but name?

I'm not sure. But I am pretty sure that calling Daario back early would leave Meereen in chaos, probably to be quickly conquered by evil bad guys who hate freedom.

7 hours ago, PrettyPig said:

To hopefully clear something up on the confusion about Bran's arc and IHW's acting...

I think this may be one area in which D&D actually fucking listened to what GRRM had to say about the characters in their roles beyond the published books.     GRRM admires writer/former DC Comics novelist Alan Moore (even invited him to participate in Wild Cards), who is best known for his series Watchmen.   If you're familiar with Watchmen at all, it's pretty clear that Bran/3EC/R/Whatever in his current 'enlightened' form is modeled after the character Dr. Manhattan - this emotionally devoid superbeing with unfathomable power over humanity, etc etc.

Of course, channeling this to television vis a vis a medieval fantasy background is difficult to do anyway, much less with basically zero build up or lead in so that the audience fully understands what is happening.   I think D&D tried, and I think IHW understood where they were going/what they were doing with it, but there just wasn't enough background and the whole thing fell flatter than Bran's responses.

Anyway, for the rest of the season just imagine IHW as a big naked blue guy with a hydrogen symbol on his forehead and you should be good to go.   LOL

Wow, thanks for sharing that info, I had no idea there was a background like that. 

I kinda think that whatever inspiration GRRM had for Bran the 3 eyed raven is pretty irrelevant from the show's point of view. I mean that's something I wouldn't know even if I was reading the books (unless you tell me), but it probably wouldn't be necessary because GRRM would go into the effort of building up Bran's transition from whiny teenager to an emotionally empty, all knowing water balloon. The show completely skipped this part. Bran went from showmethetowershowmethetower-omgifuckedupwhatshappening to this thing he now is. And even if he is suddenly going to be an all knowing cryptic cucumber, at least don't say the most cringeworthy shit to the person in front of you. 

But yeah, I'll keep this in mind and try to not scream every time IHW gets screentime. 

43 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

Also, what is up with KL smallfolk? Are they really calling the woman who killed an abomination form incest and the daughter of the queen who blew up the High Sept a murderer? At the very least, the city population should be split in two camps, not unanimously cheering for Cersei.

I have no idea why thee has never yet been any form of resistance to Cercei.  Everything about her ascension has been incredibly weak, probably illegal, and was not long ago the entire KL and most of Westeros was proclaiming Joffrey the bastard of incest.  The lack of portrayed resistance to Cercei makes it hard to take anything seriously now.  The blown Sept and destruction?  What are the people doing or thinking about this?  There are no protests and no reference to shutting down any protests of her or her actions.

I am insanely sick of the tired writing that only serves to perpetuate actors who have long contracts.  Everything revolves around them consequences and logic be damned.  Jaime is never in places or doing things you would expect him to be doing or going.  It's like around the script-writing table "ok, what do we write a story Jaime centric?"  When Jaime went to Dorne with Bronn, I was exhausted by that.  And everything that happened there.  People are just turning into fake statues to be moved around to facilitate the contracted actors.

Anyone who watches, yes they love Cercei's wrath on Elaria, but the entire event is preposterous.  Common folk in the streets are spitting at Elaria and Asha and worshiping Euron?  What is that?  The common folk are reading The King's Landing Chronicle to understand all these new alliances and are snding behind Cercei because they are THAT informed?

NOT SO MUCH.

There is no more "Faith" in Cercei's court, she was coronated by a defrocked maester whom no one knows, is there even a Hand?  A Small Council?  The whole thing is complete shit for anyone paying attention.  The common folk now do not want or need The Faith?  No uprising?  How do they know to trust and love Euron?  The INNER court - the people that hang out in the throne room, nobody in there is against Cercei?  Even in silent?  Very strange.  I hope Lena is getting a buttload of cash for her contract.  She and Nicolaj.  They basically rearranged the show to suit their characters.  They dragged out the guy from the Red Wedding to facilitate the seige on the Blackfish, etc, so Jaime would have something to do.  Just like they manufactured him and Bronn in Dorne.

BTW I hate Bronn, how much do I have to pay the faceless man to remove him from this show?  But Bronn is somehow a beloved character so we must endure scripts that create pockets for him too.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cercei became smart overnight. Suddenly she "learned".

Suddenly Daenerys decides not to attack King's Landing. Although there's no other proven way to conquer Westeros and everyone in her company knows it very well. History knows this very well, also.

Euron builds 1000000 ships in a day for Cercei's sake. Euron pulls out a miracle (no one explained how of course) and finds Yara & Dornish in the middle of a sea. Euron is insane, but he is so patient to get what he wants, and it turns out he's done all the things for Cercei basically for nothing in exchange. And still does.

Jaime is also tolerable towards Euron, no explanation whatsoever. They need him? But at what cost? At Jaime's only cost he has in life it seems. His redemption arc, if there ever was one, is dead and buried.

This Randyll Tarly enters turncloak mode on after one single conversation with Jaime, expecting he'd be rewarded by the Mad Queen for his treason. 

Everyone tolerates Cercei for a no good reason and we viewers are treated like we are supposed to erase all memories of previous 6 seasons in the sake of the show keeping Cercei, no matter how much of the previous storyline should be spit on, buried and erased for the sake of this.

Tyrion, Daenerys and everyone around know that Cercei knows they're attacking Casterly Rock, but they still do it. How, and why, it may remain unexplained. Why bother?

Cercei's character development? No, I'd say the people running the show are trying to keep Cercei on expense of every single one of the other characters' arcs. 

Conclusion, we don't know how to do it, so we make everyone else who os playing against her stupid overnight in order to keep...Cercei Lannister. 

No wonder the lannisters are out of gold. They forgot where casterly rock is and had to build a new one. That apparently tyrion built the entire sewer system for in a couple of years. 

Could they not have come up with a new idea for capturing a castle rather than reusing "secret sewer entrance". 

Why do people bother with armies when either 10 or 20 "good men" seem to be able to accomplish anything?

What are the riverlords and stormlords doing? If i was in need of allies i might try and contact some of them.

Basically just rooting for the NK to kill everyone or for Carol to inadvertently set fire to a wildfire stash under the whole of westeros and blow everyone up.

Why can't anyone in this show speak plainly? Everyone is talking in riddles.

Jon just throws in the phrase "army of the dead" without any explanation at all. WTF? How about you explain that the Other's have returned, unburnt bodies are being resurrected and they have already won two battles at Hardhome and at the Fist. Why don't you tell Dany that their ice swords shatter normal swords and that is why you need the dragonglass? No explanation at all. Jon is such an idiot. And where the fuck is Ghost?? Having Ghost would help estabilish Jon and Dany as equals, both having supposedly extinct creatures at their sides, and it would be at least a small proof that yes, magical things are happening in the north.

Littlefinger speech was just ridiculous. Be everywhere always at all times in your mind. Okay, great advice.

Bran was equally ridiculous. "It's difficult to explain. You wouldn't understand. I can't be Lord of anything. I'm the three eyed raven. I see everything. You looked beautiful when Ramsay raped you." LOL. I have no words for this. 

The writers seem to think that nonsensical = mysterious and deep.

Archived