[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

3 minutes ago, Tyrek Lannister said:

True.

Shame, absolute shame about what they've done to Jaime's character. He's become a mindless puppet of Cersei.

Do you truly believe that that is all they have in store for Jaime?

You could see when Olenna was giving her thoughts on Cersei Jaime was uncomfortable with it, and not because she was speaking ill of someone he loves, but because she was saying hard facts that he has been slowly beginning to believe but trying his best not to.

He's been marginalised for 2 or 3 seasons now, but I think they are setting him up for a massive part in the collapse of Cersei, probably being the one that causes her death.

I actually laughed out loud at the RoboBran scene with Sansa.  Only because I couldn't help but picture the directors telling Isaac, "You need to portray someone who is completely detached, show no emotion at all, and try to avoid facial expressions."  Then IHR watches them shoot a Dany scene and he's like, "How the hell do I top that? Talk without moving my lips? Stop blinking or breathing?  She's the perfect three eyed raven."

Reminds of that scene in The Other Guys where Will Ferrel thinks they are playing bad cop-bad cop and he has no choice but to come in way over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky8BkclMXBY

19 hours ago, Ser Quork said:
  Hide contents

In the show, Beric is kind of a happy-go-lucky guy now (more so than he was earlier in the TV series), and LSH was scrapped so the show's fire resurrectees seem to be minimally affected by the process and hence we get boatsex Jon.  In the books, we don't know what will happen with Jon yet, but if he's truly dead and then resurrected (by more than a hair-trim), the fire wight comment by GRRM shows we won't be getting boatsex Jon - and frankly this can only be a good thing.

Agreed. It's interesting that GRRM brought up that Jon is a fire wight now, too.

This doesn't have to be in spoiler tags, this is a spoiler thread, GRRM was answering a show question when he said that. This is the interview:

And Jon Snow, too, is drained by the experience of coming back from the dead on the show.

Right. And poor Beric Dondarrion, who was set up as the foreshadowing of all this, every time he’s a little less Beric. His memories are fading, he’s got all these scars, he’s becoming more and more physically hideous, because he’s not a living human being anymore. His heart isn’t beating, his blood isn’t flowing in his veins, he’s a wight, but a wight animated by fire instead of by ice, now we’re getting back to the whole fire and ice thing.

http://time.com/4791258/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-interview/

Also another good article about the sudden character changes (they change on a dime to suit the current whims of "plot"):

Take, for example, Sansa's competence in "The Queen's Justice." Did you think it was strange? I did. Having complained that her father protected her and failed to teach her; having apparently learned so little from her mother that she didn't even know the words with which to receive Brienne into her service; having failed to rally any Northern families to the Stark cause; having inexplicably withheld Littlefinger's military support from Jon Snow and made dozens of other poor decisions, Sansa is suddenly outfitted with extraordinary logistical competence. The girl who couldn't convince a single Northern family to fight with her instinctively understands how to get nearby Keeps to send her all their extra grain on the understanding that they'll get it back if it goes unused? How did this happen? Is she like Sam? Did she dig up a Manual on Diplomatic Winter-Prep and follow the instructions?...

Then there's Bran. The last few times we've seen Bran, he was either studying to be the Three-Eyed Raven or traveling with help from Meera and Benjen Stark. In those scenes, he never seemed like the detached weirdo he's since become. He watched his father's childhood scenes at Winterfell with perfectly normal interest and warmth. So what occasioned this transformation into the guy who doesn't bother to hug his sister back? Why the dead-eyed stare? The decision to remark on how beautiful she looked the night she was raped?... Maybe Three-Eyed Ravens aren't supposed to emote. Who knows? The point is that his arc is no such thing, and his development is meaningless and not worth pondering. The moment you try to build on what seems true of Bran now — that he's wise, say — the logic collapses.

http://theweek.com/articles/715640/game-thrones-starks-problem

So…

Show starts out with Jon meeting Dany. You don't invite somebody and them treat them as a prisoner. A few things really stood out. Why doesn't Jon have a knight with him? He's a King. Jon, a king rolls with a handful of red shirt in a row boat? Where's the Ship they got there on? And why doesn't Dragon stone have an actual Port? Its an island right?! I mean so many issues. So where in the F is ghost? Like the writing and logic is soooo bad on this show. Ghost just disappears. His right hand man for 5 seasons.
Anyways, the interaction between Dany and Jon, was forced to be bad. She is a queen and has dealt with the politics of rulership yet acts like a arrogant child in front of Jon Then literally takes him captive when she invited him. Jon talks about the white walkers or army of the dead, yet doesn't elaborate. Doesn't talk about why he's there in the first place. Acts like he doesn't know how to talk to kings. Book Jon, had no problem talking to lords and has great conversations with Stannis who was a King/doomed pretender… Jon has died… Been reborn, seen the white walkers fought an other, killed an other… He really shouldn't be intimidated by anything. Save for the dragons. That scene made sense.
I'd really have liked a better conversation between Jon and Tyrian. One less broodish. They had good scenes together in the book.

Hated Casterly Rock… looked weak. They really cutting corners. The questions I have is, how did The Lannisters know all of Tyrians plans? How did the iron fleet know where Dany's fleet would be? How did the iron fleet attack in 2 places like in a matter of hours or days or whatever and loose nothing. Not a step. Casterly rock is on the other side of the continent… yet they Just teleported right up on Yara without warning. Then nobody saw them come up on the Unsullied ships. How did Euron know Cersei wanted the Ellaria and Sand Snakes? How did he recognize them??

So Highgarden has no scouts or lookout points? You can just roll up to its gates with 3000 soldiers?! Really? And why is the lannisters marching on Highgarden in the first place? How do the Lannisters know everything?

Why even fool around? Dany's forces should number like 130 thousand together with Dorne and Highgarden? Why sail a thousand miles to Casterly Rock to take it? When you just lay siege to the prime target!? Over a hundred thousand troops and dragons… Stop playing. Well Dorne looks like it was wiped out…. As was highgarden. And this aint the books so, maybe her forces are significantly less.

Winterfell… it was good to see bran back. But Data Bran was silly. Just because you see everything doesn't mean you cease to understand what rape is. And its your sister. He knew enough to come home but not enough to have some sort of understanding. It was one of the stupidest, parts of the show. Why would he talk about her rape of all things!? Show writers just wanted to shock. That’s all. And it was pathetic.

I liked Varys and Mels scene. Still too cryptic but it was pretty good.

Sam curing greyscale and shaking jorah's hand was silly. The Meisters would have wanted to examine Jorah, not just let him bounce.

The problem with this show, is that it's writers are terrible and its time is too short. If they had dedicated their efforts to the actual story not just the shock and awe or the spectacle of GRRM's tale, the story would be 100 times better. Should be 12+ seasons and characters givin time to flesh the story out.   In a perfect world that is. The story at this point doesn't make sense. The motives, timescale, distance. Its just a mess.

1 hour ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

That's such BS.  This is the biggest show on the planet, how many times were the stupid dragons in the episode?  you're telling me they can't afford to CGI a better looking/more accurate Casterly Rock?  Casterly Rock is a giant rock, not much CGI involved, just D&D living up to their Dumb & Dumber personas  

Yes they cant afford more CGI. They have 5-10 million $ for each episode and CGI is very expensive . 10 million dollars sounds like alot , but when it comes to production it's not that much. 

As far as I know ( I might be wrong) there aren't any real life castles resembling the Rock , so in that case CGI must be involved . Which again is expensive. 

15 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

There were a number of rocky things I could nitpick, but I enjoyed this episode so I'm just letting them go. 

There were only two bits I actively hated. 

1. Wtf is with Daenerys? Does she really have to be such an arrogant piece of shit? None of what she says makes any sense and the delivery of the lines is completely terrible too. It's part writing and part directing and part costume design, but damn she is terrible this season. Emilia could at least TRY to humanize her. She is getting worse than Cersei. 

But those who say Emilia is the worst actor on GoT, nope, you are wrong. She is doing terrible this season, but the worst actor on GoT is Isaac Hempstead Wright. 

2. What. The. F*ck. With. Bran. He was literally a bitchy teenager last season whining that the 3 eyed raven would let him go up to the tower. And now he is like Yoda in a Zen garden with a blank face and blank voice and throwing around the worst lines of the entire series? Can he at least pretend to be happy to see his sister for his sister's sake? Hello sister. I can't be lord of Winterfell. I'm the three eyed raven. I see everything. The three eyed raven taught me. Oh you don't understand? That's because I'm deliberately talking nonsense to sound insanely wise. Oh and it's also because it's too difficult to explain. But I have an idea, I'll give you instant ptsd by reminding you how pretty you were on your unwanted wedding day. Because that's the kinda shit your late husband would say and I guess you miss him. You don't? That must be difficult to explain too. Well bye sister, I must sit here in the cold and wear this terrible blank expression for the rest of the show. (And make no mistake, Sansa is just as bad, she is so so so insufferable and so so so full of contradictions) this whole reunion was absolutely underwhelming and pretty redundant. They didn't share information, they didn't share memories, they didn't share emotions. maybe talk about... hmmm... FREAKING RICKON? 

Rickon who???

So apparently the massive army of High Garden which was about to overwhelm King's Landing is unable to defend itself in it's own keep from part of the Lannister army.  And the wealth of said High Garden will pay off the massive crown debts without any of the lost Lannister assets.

Romulan Cersei is just weird looking!

It i very apparent the show runners have rabbit ears to the fans/critics of the show.  People complained they were anti-women so the went "Women on top" crazy.  With the end in sight they have a checklist of unfinished plot points and they are running down the list in (often) nonsensical ways. 

Again with the rabbit ears; People complained that Jaime raped Cersei in season 4.  Ok, we'll show them!  Look Cersei does the same thing!  See! It's not rape!  We were right!.  And if your actress decides to go diva and refuse nudity, do a better job with cutting in the body double.  That was painful editing.

Ok... deep breaths... location and time mean nothing...  it's all good...

The Bran scene was just awful.  I wish Hodor hadn't held the door.  He could have grabbed Meera and Summer and ran for it.  Let them have Bran.

1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I admit that I'm not sure how is boatsex related to Jon's resurrection, unless we are focusing on the fact if Jon is or isn't capable of erection, but I suppose that in the books

1) no romance between Jon and Dany will happen

2) Jon will be resurrected but won't be like Beric/LSH because he won't be truly dead. I expect his soul to warg into Ghost - that's why there were two chapters in ADWD about warging and how human souls can survive in animals-warging subjects - and then the resurrection would be "simply" moving the soul from Ghost's body to Jon's. So it will be difference case than with Beric/LSH who were really dead.

Spoiler

ITA  What Jon can and cannot do, and what his 'return' from the assassination attempt means will all be down to whether he is considered well and truly dead like the other 'fire wights,' what role Ghost and warging plays into his return/resurrection, and how he is returned anyway.  It's hard to say, I know of GRRM's recent comments about 'fire wights,' but I'm also not sure on how those words relate to Jon and the books.  I looked at the wording closely, and it's hard to know where he's talking about Beric, LSH, and Jon.  He's talking fire wights and answering questions mid stream almost, so I'm thinking there IS something different with Jon's return.  I could be wrong.  But, I do think the examples of soul hopping and warging were important in ADWD, but could also be important to Bran's story as well.  Bran and Summer and the wolves that Summer is hanging with, although, that's a different story and worry, Nevermind, LOL  Even in the show, it wasn't the standard.......fire wight return, I expect that right there is the clue that there is something different to Jon's return.  All in all, it, Jon's return, could go many ways.........so in the bookverse, I think I'm just going to wait it out til it is written. 

Is it possible that the Greyjoy forces that attacked the fleet at CR weren't the same forces we saw in Ep. 2? Could it maybe just be reinforcements coming down from Pyke? The Silence would of course still have had to travel to CR, but it wouldn't be too big a stretch to assume that it could have made the journey alone quite hastely from KL. 

32 minutes ago, LordImp said:

Yes they cant afford more CGI. They have 5-10 million $ for each episode and CGI is very expensive . 10 million dollars sounds like alot , but when it comes to production it's not that much. 

As far as I know ( I might be wrong) there aren't any real life castles resembling the Rock , so in that case CGI must be involved . Which again is expensive. 

But my whole point was that it should have been far more simple to make it look like its described and depicted in the books, a massive rock, nothing too fancy, I guess I always pictured something of Monument Valley but with the ocean to one side.  Idk much about CGI, idk if that would have been easier or not, either way, they could have exaggerated the rock the Castle was on, make the rock look much bigger/taller, I was disappointed

12 minutes ago, SilverAlmighty said:

Is it possible that the Greyjoy forces that attacked the fleet at CR weren't the same forces we saw in Ep. 2? Could it maybe just be reinforcements coming down from Pyke? The Silence would of course still have had to travel to CR, but it wouldn't be too big a stretch to assume that it could have made the journey alone quite hastely from KL. 

I think the silence was at both locations. If my eyes didn't deceive me.

49 minutes ago, ramla said:

So…

Show starts out with Jon meeting Dany. You don't invite somebody and them treat them as a prisoner. A few things really stood out. Why doesn't Jon have a knight with him? He's a King. Jon, a king rolls with a handful of red shirt in a row boat? Where's the Ship they got there on? And why doesn't Dragon stone have an actual Port? Its an island right?! I mean so many issues. So where in the F is ghost? Like the writing and logic is soooo bad on this show. Ghost just disappears. His right hand man for 5 seasons.

1. Jon Does have a knight with him. Ser Davos Seaworth

2. the ship was anchored in deeper water. You can see it in the background when they first arrive.

3. They probably do have a port. If you look at the background from the scenes on the cliff the island seems to stretch for miles. I just don't see why it would be necessary to show them arriving at the port. Getting on horseback and then riding to the castle.

4. It is a good question to ask where Ghost has been. Definitely something to rant about. But it would be absolutely insane for Dany to allow Jon to bring a wild animal into her throne room. That to me makes no sense at all. Not that everything on this show makes sense of course..

33 minutes ago, legba11 said:

So apparently the massive army of High Garden which was about to overwhelm King's Landing is unable to defend itself in it's own keep from part of the Lannister army.  And the wealth of said High Garden will pay off the massive crown debts without any of the lost Lannister assets.

Poor writing once again by the the double D, there is no thought about the Lannister army and the effect the War of the 5 Kings had to their Army. Highgardens army wouldnt have been that big considering the Tyrells bannermen have basically all left their side and took arms with the Lannisters. But regardless of that they would have been able to defend their selves against the Lannister army from their castle.

It i very apparent the show runners have rabbit ears to the fans/critics of the show.  People complained they were anti-women so the went "Women on top" crazy.  With the end in sight they have a checklist of unfinished plot points and they are running down the list in (often) nonsensical ways. 

Again just bowing down to the fans, there will be much more plot lines unfinished. 

Again with the rabbit ears; People complained that Jaime raped Cersei in season 4.  Ok, we'll show them!  Look Cersei does the same thing!  See! It's not rape!  We were right!.  And if your actress decides to go diva and refuse nudity, do a better job with cutting in the body double.  That was painful editing.

Ok... deep breaths... location and time mean nothing...  it's all good...

The Logistics of everything has been tossed out the window completely. Somethings we can make assumptions about somethings are too unrealistic to ignore.

The Bran scene was just awful.  I wish Hodor hadn't held the door.  He could have grabbed Meera and Summer and ran for it.  Let them have Bran.

If had the future seeing abilities Bran had, I would of let the fucker be killed too. 

"Qyburn’s words were terse and to the point, Cersei’s fevered and fervent. Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once.
Vyman was hovering by the door, waiting, and Jaime sensed that Peck was watching too. “Does my lord wish to answer?” the maester asked, after a long silence.
A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. “No,” he said. “Put this in the fire.”

Thank you for more Larry d&d, that's what all Jaime fans really wanted to see this episode. /s

58 minutes ago, ramla said:

So…

Show starts out with Jon meeting Dany. You don't invite somebody and them treat them as a prisoner. A few things really stood out. Why doesn't Jon have a knight with him? He's a King. Jon, a king rolls with a handful of red shirt in a row boat?

Why does Jon need a knight? one night against 100,000 Dothraki, seems pretty pointless.

Where's the Ship they got there on?

We see in the conversation from Melisandre and Lord Varys its anchored in the bay.

And why doesn't Dragon stone have an actual Port? Its an island right?! I mean so many issues. So where in the F is ghost? Like the writing and logic is soooo bad on this show. Ghost just disappears. His right hand man for 5 seasons.

only one answer for this is budget, they cut back to focus on what the fans want to see, DRAGONS

12 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

1. Jon Does have a knight with him. Ser Davos Seaworth

2. the ship was anchored in deeper water. You can see it in the background when they first arrive.

3. They probably do have a port. If you look at the background from the scenes on the cliff the island seems to stretch for miles. I just don't see why it would be necessary to show them arriving at the port. Getting on horseback and then riding to the castle.

4. It is a good question to ask where Ghost has been. Definitely something to rant about. But it would be absolutely insane for Dany to allow Jon to bring a wild animal into her throne room. That to me makes no sense at all. Not that everything on this show makes sense of course..

1. I meant like, a fighter or a specific guard. The onion Knight is more an advisor. However i stand corrected!
2. i stand corrected
3. It would make better sense how would the castles inhabitants deploy!? And where would they keep thier ships? Just was something that stuck out to me.

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Do you truly believe that that is all they have in store for Jaime?

You could see when Olenna was giving her thoughts on Cersei Jaime was uncomfortable with it, and not because she was speaking ill of someone he loves, but because she was saying hard facts that he has been slowly beginning to believe but trying his best not to.

He's been marginalised for 2 or 3 seasons now, but I think they are setting him up for a massive part in the collapse of Cersei, probably being the one that causes her death.

I have read many spoilers and without spoiling, you are probably partially right.  But even if he ends up some kind of ethical hero, or heroic end, he is just so damaged by intermittent character disorder that, as a viewer, I do not think I will care.  

When I watched Jaime listening closely to Olenna, I thought he realized that he was right about Tyrion, and that Tyrion had NOT killed Joffrey.

Archived