[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

On 8/2/2017 at 4:01 AM, Paid Debt Lannister said:

There are no Baratheons, Tyrells, Martells, Tullys (yeah I'm not counting Edmure until the show does something of his character). It's like half of the realm got Castamere'd

I find this really annoying, because reading the books, and even watching the shows, my friend and I have identified with houses, talked about their traits, and which house we'd like to join. I had a soft spot for the Tyrells and their parallels with late medieval France (Margaery is often compared to Anne Boleyn who was partially educated in France and brought French fashion to the English court). And now they all fall to dull and depressing ends so Fan Favorites aren't encumbered.

I think it would be funny if the stags head in the astrolabe in the intro made a creaking noise and cracked off. 

6 minutes ago, fairwarging said:

If the next episode was entirely about food supplies and how they were going to feed all these armies and dragons for the upcoming winter, I would not complain. 

Wights ought to be edible. They're created from fresh corpses, and they don't seem to decay, even if they didn't have the cold to preserve them. Sure, the bits move around while you eat them, but that's like Pop Rocks in your mouth, and as long as you remember to chew enough times before swallowing like your Septon taught you, there shouldn't be any problems for your stomach.

OK, so the army would probably consider that cannibalism, but at least the dragons won't go hungry. Or Ghost.

On 8/3/2017 at 2:06 PM, SerProle said:

Tywin built Casterly Rock and either he or Tyrion invented a sewage system which Tyrion built. Edit: in the episode.

Also that secret passage involved an underground cave that is only accessible by boat which is super convenient for prostitutes who are great sailors. 

Also that cave is super visible, and Tywin would have noticed the crack in his defenses immediately. 

14 hours ago, falcotron said:

Wights ought to be edible. They're created from fresh corpses, and they don't seem to decay, even if they didn't have the cold to preserve them. Sure, the bits move around while you eat them, but that's like Pop Rocks in your mouth, and as long as you remember to chew enough times before swallowing like your Septon taught you, there shouldn't be any problems for your stomach.

OK, so the army would probably consider that cannibalism, but at least the dragons won't go hungry. Or Ghost.

They would be a tasty popsicle for the dragons. I know dragons but cook their meat, but are they averse to frozen treats? Can someone source GRRM or ASOIAF on this? 

23 minutes ago, fairwarging said:

I feel like based on the nonsense rules this show has established, Euron could and would knock off Cersei and become the Rightful King, marry someone else and produce heirs.

Actually, I didn't realize just how important that "produce heirs" bit is, but as of the start of S7, Dorne is the only realm that has a leader who isn't a walking succession crisis.

Everywhere else, it's elderly women, terminally ill little boys, reanimated corpses, confirmed lesbians, or just nobody at all. (Seriously, unless I've missed something, nobody's gotten around to replacing Stannis in the Stormlands.) And the crown is contested by two women who have prophecies telling them they won't have any more kids. This entire system would be about to collapse even if Cersei, Dany, and Jon immediately had a love-in and declared peace and the Army of the Dead left the planet for no raisin.

So yeah, I'd support Tarly's coup, just because he has an adult son. And Euron, well, he looks like he's going to crank out the heirs, and if worst comes to worst, he's got to have some bastards somewhere at least, right?

On the other hand… we haven't heard anything about people starving in the Stormlands. And, besides missing their Lord Paramount, the only Storm Lords we know about are also either dead or thousands of miles away. Maybe it's become an anarchist people's utopia? Quick, someone tell Dany that she can achieve her dream of "breaking the wheel" just by dying childless along with all the other contenders.

40 minutes ago, fairwarging said:

They would be a tasty popsicle for the dragons. I know dragons but cook their meat 

Now that I think about it, as Sam described it, any contact with even a small flame, and they go up like they're coated in oil.

If you've never seen what happens to any frozen food engulfed in hot oil, you've never been to Scotland.

Now I'm starting to worry that the real problem will be an epidemic of dragon obesity.

9 hours ago, Liver and Onions said:

I'm not sure if Tyrion would have known about that instance with Ned resigning,

Even in the show, Tyrion found out about lots of things that happened during his absence, I mean the crucial period between Eddard Stark's arrival in KL and his beheading. e.g. he know precisely about Janos Slynt having been bought by Littlefinger whilst Ned had been convinced that the City Watch would side him. See the show-dialogue between Janos Slynt and Tyrion, at the end of which Janos Slynt was send to the Night Watch. Tyrin was close to Varys who was present (in the Show as well in the book) when Ned Stark laid down his office as Hand as a consequence of Robert Baratheon insisting on the murder of Daenerys.

But I have to admit: I do not remember a scene in the show where Tyrion mentions that he had information about that incidence. I believe it is safe to assume he had. But then... I am walking down a road of logical thinking and reasoning, a road that D&D definetely did not take.

With regards to Ghost not being there, that sucks. Yes, CG dragons cost money, but come on, the Rock and Highgarden looked like crap. They were pretty much just matte paintings. The animals are the biggest part of CG (especially fur, so I get why they'd rather do dragons that wolves), but Ghost is such an important part of the character of Jon that it's like taking away the soul of the character. Why bother having the wolves past of the story, really?

As someone who has done some VFX freelancing, yes, this stuff is expensive and takes time, but, if one guy can do this on his own, then why the hell can't the VFX firms do at least something better with a much larger budget? (And this is using technology from almost 10 years ago.)

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/one_man_against_attila_the_hun/

13 minutes ago, Half Of Tormunds Member said:

With regards to Ghost not being there, that sucks. Yes, CG dragons cost money, but come on, the Rock and Highgarden looked like crap. They were pretty much just matte paintings. The animals are the biggest part of CG (especially fur, so I get why they'd rather do dragons that wolves), but Ghost is such an important part of the character of Jon that it's like taking away the soul of the character. Why bother having the wolves past of the story, really?

As someone who has done some VFX freelancing, yes, this stuff is expensive and takes time, but, if one guy can do this on his own, then why the hell can't the VFX firms do at least something better with a much larger budget? (And this is using technology from almost 10 years ago.)

Couldn't agree more, the lack of Ghost really bothers me. Jon(any of the Starks really) with out Ghost is like Dany not having dragons.....but we know that would never happen because D&D are in love with Dany 

7 hours ago, falcotron said:

Actually, I didn't realize just how important that "produce heirs" bit is, but as of the start of S7, Dorne is the only realm that has a leader who isn't a walking succession crisis.

Everywhere else, it's elderly women, terminally ill little boys, reanimated corpses, confirmed lesbians, or just nobody at all. (Seriously, unless I've missed something, nobody's gotten around to replacing Stannis in the Stormlands.) And the crown is contested by two women who have prophecies telling them they won't have any more kids. This entire system would be about to collapse even if Cersei, Dany, and Jon immediately had a love-in and declared peace and the Army of the Dead left the planet for no raisin.

So yeah, I'd support Tarly's coup, just because he has an adult son. And Euron, well, he looks like he's going to crank out the heirs, and if worst comes to worst, he's got to have some bastards somewhere at least, right?

On the other hand… we haven't heard anything about people starving in the Stormlands. And, besides missing their Lord Paramount, the only Storm Lords we know about are also either dead or thousands of miles away. Maybe it's become an anarchist people's utopia? Quick, someone tell Dany that she can achieve her dream of "breaking the wheel" just by dying childless along with all the other contenders.

You're missing Sansa...

9 hours ago, fairwarging said:

I find this really annoying, because reading the books, and even watching the shows, my friend and I have identified with houses, talked about their traits, and which house we'd like to join. I had a soft spot for the Tyrells and their parallels with late medieval France (Margaery is often compared to Anne Boleyn who was partially educated in France and brought French fashion to the English court). And now they all fall to dull and depressing ends so Fan Favorites aren't encumbered.

I think it would be funny if the stags head in the astrolabe in the intro made a creaking noise and cracked off

LOL  I like that idea. 

2 hours ago, Half Of Tormunds Member said:

LOL  I found this movie once........in the middle of the night on basic cable.  It was a little after GOT started, probably the 2nd season.  I only caught the tail end and couldn't believe it was Rory McCann playing Attila.  I started calling him Attila The Hound for awhile. 

It just came to my mind: How could they send a raven from Dragonstone to Winterfell in ep2? Dragonstone seemed completely deserted when Dany came. But either a maester was hiding around with a full set of trained ravens in his rookery or they brought such from Mereen? I do not think so. But I would not be surprised anymore if we'd see the Unsullied become trained in raven tending skills all of a sudden, and start to send messages from Casterly rock to Dragonstone.

49 minutes ago, Greywater-Watch said:

It just came to my mind: How could they send a raven from Dragonstone to Winterfell in ep2? Dragonstone seemed completely deserted when Dany came. But either a maester was hiding around with a full set of trained ravens in his rookery or they brought such from Mereen? I do not think so. But I would not be surprised anymore if we'd see the Unsullied become trained in raven tending skills all of a sudden, and start to send messages from Casterly rock to Dragonstone.

Maybe there's like a Monster.com job site for out of work ravens with all the castles changing hands and such over the years.  All the unemployed ravens are probably hovering around different deserted castles.  I think the ones that show up Dragonstone now for job opportunities deserve extra credit for braving the dragonfire to ask for a job. :P

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Maybe there's like a Monster.com job site for out of work ravens with all the castles changing hands and such over the years.  All the unemployed ravens are probably hovering around different deserted castles.  I think the ones that show up Dragonstone now for job opportunities deserve extra credit for braving the dragonfire to ask for a job. :P

Right before the Battle of the Bastards we see Lady Mormont with a bunch of ravens and Sansa sending a note by raven. Perhaps they were house Mormont's ravens, or the camps ravens or the collection of the bannermen's ravens or even some of the nights watch. It seems the establishment of a raven network is a primary concern. I vaguely recollect that most ravens fly from x castle to the citadel and messages are often relayed from there to their intended destination, but local Maesters will train ravens to fly from specific castles to ensure greater privacy of messages, as the citadel keeps a record of all their messages. It sounds complicated and it does seem that they have the right raven going to the right castle at the right time, when in fact it is somewhat of a gamble.

14 hours ago, falcotron said:

Dorne might or might not have Oberyn's younger daughters who he mentioned in an earlier season; and, presumably, some noble houses who might be descended from earlier princes/princesses.  

The Reach - no more Tyrells.  Don't they have any distant cousins?  Female Tyrell cousins could marry the sons of ambitious Houses.  If Randyl Tarly survives, I could see him claiming supremacy over the region and he has a son and two daughters, I think.  

The Riverlands - Anyone remember Edmure Tully?  Is he still alive?  Wouldn't he have been let out of the Twins or Casterly Rock by now, considering that both have changed hands?  Are Roslin alive and was there ever a baby?  If Edmure still alive, he is young enough to reclaim the Riverlands when the Lannisters fall; if his bannermen still want to put up with him.  Maybe they'd welcome his niece, Sansa, to be their Lady, she looks like a Tully and is marriageable.  (I'm not sure anyone would want poor anti-social and crippled Bran)

The Stormlands - There's still Gendry.  If Daenerys wins, she could legitimize him and name him Lord Baratheon of Storm's End.  On the show, there might still be some undiscovered other bastards of Robert's out there.

The Crownlands/Iron Throne - up for grabs.  I just don't see Jon and Daenerys co-ruling the 7 Kingdoms from King's Landing.  I don't think there's going to be much left of King's Landing, or the palace, or that Jon and Daenerys will both survive.  All Hail King Bronn, First of His Name!  (or King Davos!)

Iron Islands - I have the feeling that Yara will live and eventually become Queen there.  Even though she's a lesbian; I could see her, out of practicality, taking a consort and allowing him to impregnate her to get an heir or two.  If not, there are other families besides the Greyjoys.  Though if the White Walkers take a ship and go there, it won't take them long to rename the place 'Islands of the Dead'...

The Westerlands - There's Tyrion, who could probably sire children.  TV-Kevan might have left a living son or daughter; and there might be other Lannister cousins in Lannisport.  

The North - I'm not sure that the current King in the North can sire children, even if he does survive the series and stay a  king, or Lord Stark.  But he does have two presumably fertile sister-cousins, undoubted daughters of Ned Stark.  I would think that if the North survives the next several years and defeats or drives the WW back to the far North, Sansa will be considered a highly desirable bride.  (Arya, I think, would fiercely reject marrying for political reasons, possibly marrying at all unless she falls passionately in love with someone)  Of course, we don't know if Sansa will survive, or really want to marry anyone; but time will tell.  If Arya and Bran and Jon are the last Starks, and Jon can't have kids; I could see Arya marrying a Wildling and raising their children as Starks in Winterfell; as long as she can run around in pants and fight and ride, she'll be happy.  Or she could marry Gendry.  

I could see Daenerys confounding the prophecies and having a child before she dies (in either battle or childbirth).  Or she might not.  Though I don't see Daenerys' purpose, or arc, culminating in motherhood; and any baby of hers might not survive without 10,000 spears or more to protect him/her.  So I'm not really strong on the idea of Daenerys re-starting the Targaryen dynasty.  Though it would not totally surprise me if she did.

5 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Dorne might or might not have Oberyn's younger daughters who he mentioned in an earlier season; and, presumably, some noble houses who might be descended from earlier princes/princesses.  

Yes, that's why I assumed Dorne is probably fine. Daughters to spare, and since it's Dorne they don't even have to find and marry a suitable lord to carry on the line.

For everything else, you're proposing possible replacement leaders they could find. Sure, maybe someone will legitimize Gendry and give him the Stormlands. Maybe Edmure is alive and maybe he's a prisoner or in hiding somewhere. Maybe the competing houses with maternal second cousins once removed of Olenna's and the like will get together and peacefully pick an heir from all the claimants after she dies. But that doesn't make the realm stable. Nobody thinks, "Well, I won't worry about the fact that I don't have a liege because, if and when the current Queen falls, there's a way we might possibly end up with one." It should be a huge, immediate problem for every Lord in the Stormlands and the Riverlands, and a huge, looming crisis for every other realm but Dorne.

So, the only reason most of the lords shouldn't be panicking about succession issues is if they have something bigger to panic about. Which, of course, they do, given that the War of the Uncountably Infinite Kings keeps dragging on and adding new Kings (not even counting the Night King), not to mention the likely mass starvation and possible plagues and who knows what else is coming.

But people seem pretty blase about this, as if once their side wins this war, everyone's going to live happily ever after. Not quite as delusional as Cersei's 1000-year dynasty that doesn't even have an initial heir to start it off, but the same idea.

13 hours ago, ERRI8013 said:

You're missing Sansa...

No I'm not. They elected Jon, not her, and he's a fire wight whose blood doesn't flow, which might make it pretty hard to sire children.

Having a King who has a fertile half-sister is better than having a King with no family at all, but it's not at all the same as having a King with sons or the prospect of them. Just ask Henry VIII and his 4 sisters.

Some of the repetitive themes bug me in the entire series. For example, there are a lot of young adults running around who had mothers that died in childbirth. Of all the ways a woman can die in this medieval-esque world and childbirth is the favorite form of death by natural causes. Daenerys Targayen, Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister are the main ones. But there were a bunch of minors mentioned in the book as well. It seems to be the most popular form of death for women in GOT. Not enough death by plague, other illness, bleeding to death, falling from a horse...

There are way too many eunuchs on this show. Way way way too many. There are so many other body parts to cut off, why is that the favorite? With all the knives and swords you would think more than one knight would be missing a few fingers.

Last but not least, season 7 costumes are all black. Where did the color and style go?

Archived