Where were the Tarly forces?

goomba

All i saw were Lannisters approaching Highgarden. 

Only Tarly's i saw were Randyll and his son.

Even if the Tyrells are seriously downplayed compared to their book counterparts, theres still no way the Lannisters could have just beaten them so easily, no?

:wacko:

I guess putting actual Tarly troops on screen would have meant designing new costumes and armour and all that and they decided they didn't need that extra work. I remember when the Tyrell's first arrived on the show it took about 3 seasons later for them to actually show Tyrell troops. It is dumb though, what use is just Tarly and his kid on their own?

Maybe there were Tarly forces inside Highgarden and they turned against the Tyrells. That would explain the easy victory of the Lannister army,  which would otherwise be completely unlikely given they were attacking a great castle without siege weapons. I know this is probably just my invention, but it helps me accept the otherwise ridiculous outcome.

2 hours ago, SerMudz said:

I guess putting actual Tarly troops on screen would have meant designing new costumes and armour and all that and they decided they didn't need that extra work. I remember when the Tyrell's first arrived on the show it took about 3 seasons later for them to actually show Tyrell troops. It is dumb though, what use is just Tarly and his kid on their own?

Putting Tarly Soldiers screen increases the budget etc, and from what ive seen ecspecially in Episode 3 they are on a budget cut back/saving. Having Randyll and Dickon at the front with Jamie lets you know they have joined forces with the Lannisters and we can boldly assume and imagine that the Tarly troops are among that army. They are a visual representation of their army without having to see it.

15 minutes ago, Khal Ivo said:

Maybe there were Tarly forces inside Highgarden and they turned against the Tyrells. That would explain the easy victory of the Lannister army,  which would otherwise be completely unlikely given they were attacking a great castle without siege weapons. I know this is probably just my invention, but it helps me accept the otherwise ridiculous outcome.

I agree it was a ridiculous outcome but D&D writing is ridiculous so its to be expected.

On 01/08/2017 at 3:11 AM, goomba said:

Even if the Tyrells are seriously downplayed compared to their book counterparts, theres still no way the Lannisters could have just beaten them so easily, no?

Oh but they fixed that glaring plothole by having Olenna state "fighting is something we were never good at". 10/10 writing

On 7/31/2017 at 7:11 PM, goomba said:

The Tarly army actually only consists of two people, Randyll and Dickon.  This may seem insignificant, but both were in fact two of Ramsay Bolton's 20 good men.

If the episode had been allowed to go on longer, there would have been a scene at night time in Highgarden showing

1. A bunch of buildings simultaneously lighting on fire

2. A horse running through the streets on fire

This would have been followed up with a scene in the morning showing

1. Olenna being informed that all of their food and weapons had been destroyed

2. Olenna being convinced by a priest to burn Willas Tyrell alive (D & D would have introduced him in this episode as the only remaining heir to house Tyrell) in order to summon a tornado to destroy the Lannister army.

3. The tornado is in fact summoned, but it travels to King's Landing and transports Euron's ships from King's Landing to Casterly Rock.

4. Every single person in Highgarden defects (with the exception of the Olenna and the priest), stealing all of the horses.  Not a single horse is left in Highgarden.

5. The priest would then flee Highgarden on a horse.

I expect this to all be part of the deleted scenes on the season 7 DVD series.  This would explain how easy it was to take over Highgarden.

And don't forget the scene where Randyll Tarly, after meeting with the queen, after gathering his bannermen and forces, after marching for war, and after successfully laying siege to one of the 7 Kingdom's main castles, he suddenly remembers "now hold on there a second...where's my sword?"

highgarden isn't necessary to the whole plot apart from being a kingdom, They were side-lined in Roberts rebellion, Tarly is the only notable general in that it was he who gave Robert his only defeat, so it is Tarly who is the fighting power in highgarden.. Size isn't important apparently as the iron islands which are just small rocky islands seem to have an endless supply of ships and solders, whereas highgarden is the biggest kingdom in numbers (only one with two big cities I think) but doesn't really do much. Having them as a power would just make the plot/s too difficult. Of the seven kingdoms they have effectively kept 5 out of the picture to concentrate on the main protagonists stark and Lannister. Dorne is too small to act on its own, the riverlands got hammered early on, Baratheon gets blurred with lanister/stannis, highgarden gets kinda glossed over by ineffective military leaders and the vale are on the were on the side-lines. As for the tv who knows what colour tarly forces wear anyway.

16 hours ago, Rubicante said:

The Tarly army actually only consists of two people, Randyll and Dickon.  This may seem insignificant, but both were in fact two of Ramsay Bolton's 20 good men.

If the episode had been allowed to go on longer, there would have been a scene at night time in Highgarden showing

1. A bunch of buildings simultaneously lighting on fire

2. A horse running through the streets on fire

This would have been followed up with a scene in the morning showing

1. Olenna being informed that all of their food and weapons had been destroyed

2. Olenna being convinced by a priest to burn Willas Tyrell alive (D & D would have introduced him in this episode as the only remaining heir to house Tyrell) in order to summon a tornado to destroy the Lannister army.

3. The tornado is in fact summoned, but it travels to King's Landing and transports Euron's ships from King's Landing to Casterly Rock.

4. Every single person in Highgarden defects (with the exception of the Olenna and the priest), stealing all of the horses.  Not a single horse is left in Highgarden.

5. The priest would then flee Highgarden on a horse.

I expect this to all be part of the deleted scenes on the season 7 DVD series.  This would explain how easy it was to take over Highgarden.

Nice.  I like it.  Sounds about right.

Archived